Page 27 of 47 « First<2526272829>Last »
Topic Options
#2890665 - 01/22/09 09:21 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: THE_BEYONDER]
nik Offline

Hellenistically Gifted

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Southboro, Mass
Yes it is

#2890680 - 01/22/09 09:29 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: General Zod]
batman_fan Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: CO
 Originally Posted By: General Zod
 Originally Posted By: batman_fan
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Who has an Ewert book that has been trimmed? Break that book out of the slab, and resubmit it without noting it as an Ewert book. I'll pay $10 to help pay for the regrade, I'm sure others would pitch in. If it comes back unrestored, CGC can't reliably detect some trimmed books. If they catch it, they can. Much better method then posting a bunch of conjecture about how hard it is to detect, and how CGC can't detect trimming or the trim job Ewert did, etc. Surely someone must have one.

This experiment has already been run at least once.

Results: Book came back in a blue holder, no trimming. Later it was returned to CGC because before and after scans existed and it was finally declared "trimmed".

That was hardly a controlled and well-documented experiment run by reputable people. I trust Dad&Son as far as I can spit.

It wasn't Dad&Son, it was a well known dealer that was told a book was a Ewert book and was definitely trimmed. They cracked it out of the case, resubbed without telling CGC and got it in a new blue holder which was then relisted it on a site. It was detected again and eventially exposed. I would say pretty good example. My summary may not be the best, but the whole thing played out here on these boards so a search should find it.

my Comic Art

batman_fan's feedback thread

My most wanted for Original Artwork Covers. If you have them and wish to let them go, please contact me!

#2890687 - 01/22/09 09:40 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: batman_fan]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hertfordshire, U.K.
Who has an Ewert book that has been trimmed? Break that book out of the slab, and resubmit it without noting it as an Ewert book. I'll pay $10 to help pay for the regrade, I'm sure others would pitch in. If it comes back unrestored, CGC can't reliably detect some trimmed books. If they catch it, they can. Much better method then posting a bunch of conjecture about how hard it is to detect, and how CGC can't detect trimming or the trim job Ewert did, etc. Surely someone must have one.

Results: Book came back in a blue holder, no trimming. Later it was returned to CGC because before and after scans existed and it was finally declared "trimmed".

That was hardly a controlled and well-documented experiment run by reputable people. I trust Dad&Son as far as I can spit.

It wasn't Dad&Son, it was a well known dealer that was told a book was a Ewert book and was definitely trimmed. They cracked it out of the case, resubbed without telling CGC and got it in a new blue holder which was then relisted it on a site. It was detected again and eventially exposed. I would say pretty good example. My summary may not be the best, but the whole thing played out here on these boards so a search should find it.

It was Doug Schmell.

He was advised by both FFB and Brent Moeshlin that he had a trimmed Ewert JIM on his hands.

His response was to rush it through a walk-thru at CGC the very next morning without letting them know what it was, in the hope of getting a higher grade and a nice new untainted serial number. meh

http://www.comicanadirect.com

#2890691 - 01/22/09 09:44 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
THE_BEYONDER Offline

The world looks mighty good to me cuz signatures are all I see.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: CANADA
 Originally Posted By: Flaming_Telepath

It was Doug Schmell.

He was advised by both FFB and Brent Moeshlin that he had a trimmed Ewert JIM on his hands.

His response was to rush it through a walk-thru at CGC the very next morning without letting them know what it was, in the hope of getting a higher grade and a nice new untainted serial number. meh

Stand-up guy meh

#2890696 - 01/22/09 09:47 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
THE_BEYONDER Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

I wonder how many Ewert books were cracked out & resubbed without giving CGC the 'heads up'.....

#2890698 - 01/22/09 09:48 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: THE_BEYONDER]
DiceX Offline

PREMATURE TOTAL NEWBIFICATION

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The land of Oranges...
 Originally Posted By: THE_BEYONDER

It was Doug Schmell.

Stand-up guy meh

What was the result? I know it got blue, but did it get a different grade?
I thought Doug was a reputable dealer and stand up guy. Did he do this to launder the book, or did he come clean?

#2890716 - 01/22/09 10:01 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: DiceX]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: DiceX

It was Doug Schmell.

Stand-up guy meh

What was the result? I know it got blue, but did it get a different grade?
I thought Doug was a reputable dealer and stand up guy. Did he do this to launder the book, or did he come clean?

Are we talking about the same Doug Schmell? \(shrug\)

I'm talking about the guy who got into selling comics because he was disbarred from being a lawyer, due to him defrauding his clients.

As for him coming clean...no, he didn't. He made a p!ss-poor job of refuting the allegations, one mumbled, vague, unsubstantiated excuse after another, until he promised to produce concrete evidence of his innocence...and then never did. doh\!

#2890721 - 01/22/09 10:04 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: DrWatson]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
 Originally Posted By: DrWatson
 Originally Posted By: namisgr
 Originally Posted By: DrWatson
The term "original owner" really doesn't mean anything anymore. It is nothing more than a sales tool.

Don't mean to single out one small aspect of your position, Jim, but this one hits close to home and so I wanted to address it.

The term "original owner" means everything to some collectors. That is, when it is used in the appropriate context. I've started to sell off books that I bought off the rack back in the day. Being the original owner, and having left the books unmanipulated, I can say with absolute certainty to the buying public that these books are unmanipulated.

While I recognize that this doesn't mean anything to many collectors, there are at least a few who prefer to buy this type of collectible. So when certain sellers start each of their sales threads with the line "Yeah, yeah, like any other seller, any book I have may have been pressed", it is worthwhile to remember that they are wrong. There are, indeed, rare circumstances under which a seller can unconditionally guarantee that the books they are offering are unmanipulated. In this case, rather than the term "original owner" carrying no meaning, it instead carries a great deal of meaning, especially since the opportunities to buy guaranteed unmanipulated books are so infrequent.

No offense, Bob, but all we have is your word that you bought them off the news stand. I don't have any reason to believe you would lie, quite the contrary, but I have seen more than one seller do it here without any compunction whatsoever. So, for me, the OO designation holds very little weight.

I also see it as away of saying, "buy me, press me" without the seller having to come right out and say that. Therefore satisfying both ends of the buying and selling spectrum and still being able to hold common ground with both sides and everyone marginally happy.

Just to bolster this opinion... look at the diamond run books -- the speculation was that non diamond run books were added and just claimed to be part of the original owner run -- even though some had obvious resto done to them.

OO does mean something to me in the case of Bob or Harry -- but how often do I actually know the original owner? Not many.

I don't see it as an opportunity to say, buy me and press me, so much as it is to play on advertising that there is something supposedly very unique about this collection.

#2890722 - 01/22/09 10:04 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
THE_BEYONDER Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Isolated Incident

#2890733 - 01/22/09 10:08 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: THE_BEYONDER]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Isolated Incident

Which one?

The undeclared walk-thru of a high value Ewert book, in pursuit of a 9.6 label and new untainted serial number?

Or the two years' worth of clients' money he withheld?

\(shrug\)

Page 27 of 47 « First<2526272829>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Error Coins for Sale
by Jon Sullivan
Today at 12:14 PM
WTB NGC MS69 Quarters 2009-2014
by Kapimono
Yesterday at 11:57 AM
FSH; BU roll 1964 P Kennedy halves, *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:26 PM
FSH; $500 FRN VF with a problem *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:25 PM
Comics Marketplace
Fear 19, Hulk 168 and Marvel Premiere 48
by joeypost
36 minutes 4 seconds ago
PRICE DROP -- Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 For Sale
by kuddy
Today at 09:49 PM
Iron Man #282 CGC 9.8, 9.6 (5 Available) 1st War Machine
by Comicsarefun
Today at 09:41 PM
Variant Cover Lots!
by Zanziber
Today at 09:36 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing