• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,791 posts in this topic

looking for some low grade Dell 4 colors to purchase

hope its ok to ask for these here

I am looking for low grade but complete copies of 4c 5,6,7,27,38,63,94 and 98, torn - cover loose cf loose etc are fine

thanks

bob

There is a forum for this type of post: link

Read this one this morning. 32 + pages of Big John goodness. He stands out in a Dell comic book :D

Plus, I know my dad went to see all those Italian "peplum", a.k.a., sword and sandals movies when they were first released and he liked the Hercules movies with Steve Reeves. We watched countless re-runs together when I was in my teens (thumbs u

N.B.: Yes, Orpheus is quite taken with Hercules: "His deeds will make my lyre sing!" ;)

71917.jpg.b72764485b7626c1f085de1b92144d11.jpg

71918.jpg.f9e73a27d41a8b8c095bdbf2bf35ec49.jpg

:applause:

I read 625 this morning and it's rather good (thumbs u

The art is by August Lenox who according to the Who's Who worked solely for Dell on other Walt Disney's A True-Life Adventure in the Four Color series and apparently did a good stretch on Woody Woodpecker.

I selected the page with the Frog for 143 ;)

72256.jpg.8be79d3e3f6162a139f2af07332c1f6e.jpg

72257.jpg.5f5e83dd7508531228ce6c3707a7d3d8.jpg

I posted this in another thread but I think it should be here too. Cross it off the list.

bb

2764862586_c1cbdbd6cf_b.jpg

Mickey Dolenz with Robert Lowery (Batman) and Noah Beery Jr. at the circus. Good idea but didn't seem as successful as Rin Tin Tin. The elephant was named "Bimbo" in the show. Mick was paid $300 per episode. Not a lot of money but better than delivering newspapers in the snow.

Edited by BB-Gun

just got this one in

3202406836_abb81a0a58_o.jpg

Wow, great catch!

I'm seeing Walt Kelly-like bugs everywhere I look this week. (Maybe I should lay off the bourbon.) Is there a chance that he had a hand in this cover? He did draw #71.

Is there a chance of page scans?

Jack

yeah, more little buggies! This cover is certainly the work of the guy who did most of the series, but I am not sure what his name is. I have a #5 on the way to me (1st Raggedy) and am VERY excited about that as I have been after one for about 2 years & could never find a copy that wasn't 3 times guide. If I can post some insides later I shall!

yeah, more little buggies! This cover is certainly the work of the guy who did most of the series, but I am not sure what his name is. I have a #5 on the way to me (1st Raggedy) and am VERY excited about that as I have been after one for about 2 years & could never find a copy that wasn't 3 times guide. If I can post some insides later I shall!

OH BOY!

Just for that, you can be raggedybones instead of sweetiebones.

Is the book dated 1945?

Jerry's Who's Who suggests probably Kerr:

KERR, GEORGE

DELL PUBLICATIONS

RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (pen/ink/) 1942-45 > 42 43 44 45

but a helping hand from Kelly, esp. on the cover, is not out of the question

KELLY, WALT

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Backup feature (wr/pen/ink/) 1946-49 in RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY

With dark horses (I think we could spot Gollub):

BING, L.

DELL PUBLICATIONS

RAGGEDY ANN (pen/ink/) 1942-43 > 42 43

ENRIGHT, W. J.

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Backup feature (pen/ink/) 1946-47 in RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY > 46 47

GOLLUB, MO

DELL PUBLICATIONS

RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (pen/ink/) 1946-49 > 46 47 48 49

NOONAN, DAN

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Backup feature (pen/ink/) 1946-49 in RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY > 46 47 48 49

RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (pen/ink/some wr/) 1946-49 > 46 47 48 49

Does JOHNNY GRUELLE CO. get the credit?

Jack

yes, Johhny Gruelle copyright, and 1945.

The Kelly they are referring to though, I think is the "Animal Mother Goose" feature he did in the regular RA series. This four color is all Raggedy with none of the Back ups by the other guys like Noonan.

I'll have to look at more of Kerr's art before I can be sure. Whoever this guy is is the regular on all Raggedy stories from at least 1942-1947 in FC, RA & New Funnies, and they are not attributing that much of the work to him...who knows?

OH BOY!

Just for that, you can be raggedybones instead of sweetiebones.

Is the book dated 1945?

Jerry's Who's Who suggests probably Kerr:

KERR, GEORGE

DELL PUBLICATIONS

RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (pen/ink/) 1942-45 > 42 43 44 45

but a helping hand from Kelly, esp. on the cover, is not out of the question

KELLY, WALT

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Backup feature (wr/pen/ink/) 1946-49 in RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY

With dark horses (I think we could spot Gollub):

BING, L.

DELL PUBLICATIONS

RAGGEDY ANN (pen/ink/) 1942-43 > 42 43

ENRIGHT, W. J.

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Backup feature (pen/ink/) 1946-47 in RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY > 46 47

GOLLUB, MO

DELL PUBLICATIONS

RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (pen/ink/) 1946-49 > 46 47 48 49

NOONAN, DAN

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Backup feature (pen/ink/) 1946-49 in RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY > 46 47 48 49

RAGGEDY ANN AND ANDY (pen/ink/some wr/) 1946-49 > 46 47 48 49

Does JOHNNY GRUELLE CO. get the credit?

Jack

I think it has to be George Kerr after doing a little more digging, I just suspect his years of work extend a bit further than that list suggests

Read # 717 tonight. Was pretty fun. The art is nice: crisp and economical with a certain fluidity to the line. A straightforward storytelling style: clear and uncluttered with good eye to composition.

The GCD credits Frank Thorne who is obviously better known for his Red Sonja stint at Marvel or his work in comic strips, including Moonshine McJugs for Playboy.

Of course, Moby D ick had been one of the early choices of Classics Comics, # 5 in the series to be exact. Since Moby D ick is one of those Classics that was redrawn for later printings, that's in fact 3 versions of the story by Frank Thorne (Dell), Louis Zansky (First CI) and Norman Nodel (Second CI).

I wonder: were there other classics that received both the Classics Illustrated and the Dell treatment? Jack? Mica?

72646.jpg.a2259cfc4683b09bcc2b24a74625cf4f.jpg

72647.jpg.0688b90326b4855964c73506a220968a.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

Catching up on lots of posts today...

Am I the only one that hears Television singing "Little Johnny Gru-elle, Oh, he's so cool" in my mind's ear whenever this name comes up?

Probably.

Jack

"I want my little wing-head"

Am I the only one that hears Television singing "Little Johnny Gru-elle, Oh, he's so cool" in my mind's ear whenever this name comes up?

Probably.

Jack

"I want my little wing-head"

:o :o :o

Now, THAT'S an obscure reference from out of left field. :applause:

I have the Little Johnny Jewel 45 released by Ork in 1975, but it's too late to go digging for it...

However, I do have these that I can share with you, Jack. cheers.gif

television.jpg

television2.jpg