• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,392 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is my first post, but I have been talked about on this site. My photo of Dad Bailey news stand started this subject.

I have 3 photos of his stands. Two that have been posted on Flickr and one I have yet to post. I should post the third photo someday.

So this is the horses mouth, you can believe it or not. The photos are 100% real no fakes or trickery. All I have is Photoshop Elements and I'm still a novice with digital photography. I do have many years of experience in analog photography and have been a collector for years. When I first saw this photo as a kid it blew me away. I took it to High School and looked at it under a 3D microscope and it was like a little time machine.

I have enjoyed this discussion and knew little about it till I was contacted by a member of this site and a member of flickr. I have shot photos for about 40 years and collected them for most of my life.

I asked my Dad about these photos and he does not remember much, he was about 7 when they were taken. I think the photo was taken by a family friend named Redd Fox, not the guy from Stanford and Son. He had a photo shop in the Huntington Park area of California. I think the camera was a 4x5 since the original photo is a contact print. The weird focus may come from the shift of the photo-plain you can do with a large format camera. It is used to increase or decrease the depth of field.

I have many old family photos that I have been posting for a while. One of the family members was in the silent movies back in the teens and 1920's. Dad Bailey was my Great Uncle and his full name was Charles Bailey. His Daughter was the film actress in the silent days.

If anyone has any questions about these or anything else you can E mail me.

Thanks

He called the shop Dad Bailey, but he was my Great Uncle. He died 5 years before I was born. I wish he or somebody saved them, I could retire and just write books for fun.

I just sold all of my comics about a month ago. I had some silver age stuff from when I was kid. Most of my collection was from independents like Eclipse, and Pacific Coast. I'm down to zero these days, with only some scanned covers to remind me of the old collection.

He called the shop Dad Bailey, but he was my Great Uncle. He died 5 years before I was born. I wish he or somebody saved them, I could retire and just write books for fun.

I just sold all of my comics about a month ago. I had some silver age stuff from when I was kid. Most of my collection was from independents like Eclipse, and Pacific Coast. I'm down to zero these days, with only some scanned covers to remind me of the old collection.

It was nice of you to drop by! (thumbs u The information you have given us is greatly appreciated!

I posted the last photo I have from the newsstand. No comics but there are some cool magazines. Also a good shot of my Great Great Uncle.

I hope this works.

Dad Bailey and His Stand

Thank you again! :applause:

Andy

Great thread!

I saw this photo:

Newstandphoto1.jpg

And wondered if hanging by the corner at a newsstand was what caused the damage to the UR corner of this book:

th_KingComics14front.jpg

The marks are on the front and back cover. I have a few King Comics with the same markings. Anyone know for sure?

I kinda like knowing my books may have been hanging on display at a newstand. Is there a name for this kind of damage feature?

Edited by CheezyWhiz

clusc_8_1_00328639a_j.jpg

Title: City councilman Ernest Debs holding horror comic books that were purchased in his district in Los Angeles, Calif., 1954

Publication: Los Angeles Daily News

Publication date: 1

LINK

clusc_8_1_00328639a_j.jpg

I always liked that Tales from the Crypt #43 cover:

761_4_43.jpg