Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#2645976 - 10/02/08 10:23 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: moonlite]
ChemEng Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Maybe I'm just naive, but what is the logic behind having a separate rate for media? Why does it matter to the post office what is in the box? Is it because they will handle those boxes worse? Does it take a longer time to get there? If so, why not just make another cheaper class of mail handling that could apply to anything?

#2645982 - 10/02/08 10:25 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: TheAvenger80]
Mister_Comics Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Burbank, Illinois
Not long ago there was a change. Any package that weighed more that a certain amount has to go Priority. I wish I remembered what the weight was, but it was some crazy low amount.

#2646014 - 10/02/08 10:54 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: Mister_Comics]
conditionfreak Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ohio, USA
I don't get it. What exactly is the definition of "media" anyway? Funny thing is, when I looked up "media" in my Websters dictionary (which by the way, has ads in it for other Merriam-Webster books available), the definition simple reads that it is a "plural for medium". Interesting.

When I take a package of comics to the post office to send media rate, I tell them that it is comic books. They say okay and away it goes. No problems.

What is the problem with "ads"? Doesn't just about every book have ads in them. Advertising the companies other books available? Advertising the authors previous or upcoming books, etc?

#2646018 - 10/02/08 10:56 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: conditionfreak]
Ogami Offline

I can't find the huggy gremelin, but trust me, I'm all kinds of hugging you right now.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The House of Sinanju
If you read the online USPS guide to media mail, paperbacks WITH ADS are allowed, and I always use that factoid when I ship them if I ask. The idea that I know that factoid seems to carry some weight locally.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free. I shall die here. Every inch of me will perish. Every inch but one. An inch... It is small, and fragile, and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us. I hope that, whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and things get better. But I hope most of all that you understand that even though I will never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years, I had roses, and apologized to no one..........Valerie's Last Words, V for Vendetta

#2646038 - 10/02/08 11:11 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: Ogami]
jools&jim Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: (c)Harm City, USA

As with many of the more arcane USPS regulations, Media Mail restrictions do tend to be interpreted differently by different counter clerks.

You can read the complete laundry list of restrictions here:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/173.htm#wp1060508

But regulations and restrictions aside, I would avoid it COMPLETELY for anything other than sending bulk, low grade readers (and even then you're taking a risk) simply because it tends to be sorted and handled much less carefully than other classes of mail (I know, because I used to be a PO clerk). Media Mail is useful for institutions (companies, schools, hospitals, etc.) sending large quantities of (non-collectible) printed material through the mail; much less so for grade conscious collectors. And Media Mail is also VERY slow (the PO makes NO guarantees on delivery time), and is legally subject to spot inspections...none of which are worth the risk to buyers or sellers imho.

The way I see it, the hassles and slow boat delivery are simply not worth the marginal savings. Collectors are much better off using First Class Package (up to the weight restriction), Parcel Post, or Flat Rate Priority boxes for comics.

“Ninety-nine percent of the world's lovers are not with their first choice. That's what makes the jukebox play.” -- Willie Nelson

#2646050 - 10/02/08 11:24 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: Ogami]
Comicsarefun Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Originally Posted By: noljoner
If you read the online USPS guide to media mail, paperbacks WITH ADS are allowed, and I always use that factoid when I ship them if I ask. The idea that I know that factoid seems to carry some weight locally.

Yes, media mail makes an exception for ads only in that a book may beshipped media mail with ads as long as those ads are only promotional material advertising other books (such as the back cover ads for the author's new book etc.) They still cannot contain ads for toothpaste, movies, soda pop, etc.
Wanted: Blue Circle Comics #3 1944
1930's Weird Tales

#2646052 - 10/02/08 11:26 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: Comicsarefun]
Ogami Offline

I can't find the huggy gremelin, but trust me, I'm all kinds of hugging you right now.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The House of Sinanju
 Originally Posted By: Comicsarefun
 Originally Posted By: noljoner

Yes, media mail makes an exception for ads only in that a book may beshipped media mail with ads as long as those ads are only promotional material advertising other books (such as the back cover ads for the author's new book etc.) They still cannot contain ads for toothpaste, movies, soda pop, etc.

yes, I should have added that. \(thumbs u

edited to add-

I'm still going to follow your advice, CRF, and cut out media mailing comics. i was just stating why I had been willing to do it recently.

Edited by noljoner (10/02/08 11:27 AM)
Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free. I shall die here. Every inch of me will perish. Every inch but one. An inch... It is small, and fragile, and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us. I hope that, whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and things get better. But I hope most of all that you understand that even though I will never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years, I had roses, and apologized to no one..........Valerie's Last Words, V for Vendetta

#2646066 - 10/02/08 11:32 AM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: Comicsarefun]
jools&jim Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Comicsarefun
Write the Post Master and demand that the rule excluding comics as media mail be changed!

Why? So we can use a class of mail that's almost terminally slow, and that gets tossed around the back room of the PO (especially the big ones) like monkey *spoon* at the zoo? In this case, cheaper is manifestly NOT better...

“Ninety-nine percent of the world's lovers are not with their first choice. That's what makes the jukebox play.” -- Willie Nelson

#2646349 - 10/02/08 02:03 PM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: jools&jim]
moonlite Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Kaintuckee
I believe the weight limit is 4 pounds, then it goes priority or parcel post.

#2646391 - 10/02/08 02:28 PM Re: Postal worker put the fear of God in me about Media Mail today !!! [Re: moonlite]
jools&jim Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: moonlite
I believe the weight limit is 4 pounds, then it goes priority or parcel post.

Not according to the USPS website. Maybe the reg has changed, but they're still quoting it for up to 70 lbs...

http://www.usps.com/prices/media-mail-prices.htm

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, nmp, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FS: 3 NGC graded Irish Pennies
by agentjim007
07:12 AM
Today: Coin Auctions by GreatCollections - Superb Half Dimes, Morgans and More
by ianrussell
07/27/14 02:05 PM
FSH: Nuclear toned 1969-d pcgs ms64 Kennedy Half dollar, Rainbow Washingtons too
by PCcoins
07/27/14 01:53 PM
1819/8 Capped Bust Half NGC VF30 O-102 on Ebay
by A.Phillips
07/26/14 09:13 PM
Comics Marketplace
Shutter #1 CGC 9.8 -- covers A, B, C, and D -- all four for $120.00!
by ryan_klubeck
Cap #66 and Subby #32 (top census copies) plus the WM ST #125 and TOS #65
by cgcworld
10:15 PM
2 Edgar Church Books + Bethlehem Weird Mysteries #9 + Hulk #6
by Mutant Manatee
09:30 PM
TPB and Deluxe sale
by ft88
09:22 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles