• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

Woh, thats a sharp as a copy as we're ever likely to see, very very nice!

And now somewhat of an infamous book, you've got to pleased with the addition to the collection (thumbs u

Edited by brasseye

Some prehero goodness :cloud9: Ayers had this one in his 10 favorite covers in a recent CBG:

TTA34.jpg

That one will sit nicely side-by-side with your TOS 11! :headbang:

Yeah Rich...this one will be now known as the New Yorker Cartoon Art-Cover Rip-Off Issue or some such... :insane:

Edited by trmoore54

Some prehero goodness :cloud9: Ayers had this one in his 10 favorite covers in a recent CBG:

TTA34.jpg

Yeah Rich...this one will be now known as the New Yorker Cartoon Art-Cover Rip-Off Issue or some such... :insane:

Thanks Tom + Brass!! I'd forgotten about that ripoff controversy. An uncredited swipe was it?

TTA34.jpg

Thanks Tom + Brass!! I'd forgotten about that ripoff controversy. An uncredited swipe was it?

Since the way the cartoon caption works it runs for 3 issues so after the flak/complaints they ran something along the lines of "in honor of Jack Kirby vertically next to the image...If I recall he came off kind of put off like he didn't get it...can't remember if he said he did it consiously or otherwise...

Tom

Just got this one in:

Certain "enthusiastic" doh!:pullhair::tonofbricks::censored: collectors have been REEEEEEEEALLLLY driving up the prices on TTA's as of late!!

It takes two to tango, but things have been going off the charts lately. I think it all started last year when that #82 9.6 went for $1,200 or so... then guys got plain tetchy on the big books :eek:

I sold my spare 9.6 #93 for a record price, Socal comics had another 9.6 that went for similar money, and things kept getting worse!

TTA keys are hot property right now, but the #79 pricing does seem agressive. Great cover, but hulk and Herc have tangled plenty of times...why this book is top dollar is a little lost on me (shrug)

Just got this one in:

Certain "enthusiastic" doh!:pullhair::tonofbricks::censored: collectors have been REEEEEEEEALLLLY driving up the prices on TTA's as of late!!

It takes two to tango, but things have been going off the charts lately. I think it all started last year when that #82 9.6 went for $1,200 or so... then guys got plain tetchy on the big books :eek:

I sold my spare 9.6 #93 for a record price, Socal comics had another 9.6 that went for similar money, and things kept getting worse!

TTA keys are hot property right now, but the #79 pricing does seem agressive. Great cover, but hulk and Herc have tangled plenty of times...why this book is top dollar is a little lost on me (shrug)

Since I began collecting TTA's over 2 and a half years ago, I have not seen a 9.6 79 for sale...it's a great cover IMHO...there has been a LOT of competition for 9.6's in the 59-101 range...just look around the web...hardly any 9.6's for sale (and the ones that are for sale are priced VERY aggressively. There were 2 pedigreed 82's in 9.6 that have sold..the one you are referring to is the one that you and I both bid on and lost out on :o Needless to say, we were both stunned at the final price :sick:

The 2nd I picked up for around the price of the first (neither hit GPA as they were both on C-Link)...I guess it all comes down to supply and demand (shrug)

Just got this one in:

Since I began collecting TTA's over 2 and a half years ago, I have not seen a 9.6 79 for sale...it's a great cover IMHO...there has been a LOT of competition for 9.6's in the 59-101 range...just look around the web...hardly any 9.6's for sale (and the ones that are for sale are priced VERY aggressively. There were 2 pedigreed 82's in 9.6 that have sold..the one you are referring to is the one that you and I both bid on and lost out on :o Needless to say, we were both stunned at the final price :sick:

The 2nd I picked up for around the price of the first (neither hit GPA as they were both on C-Link)...I guess it all comes down to supply and demand (shrug)

Thats it in a nutshell really.

I know TTA's are slowly climbing out the 2nd tier bracket for respectability.

The most obvious comparison is TOS issues.

While TOS in the pre new format 39-58, the books are all big hitter's, and command big dollars with a lot of collectors chasing them. The TOS 59-99 doesn't compare to TTA.

Firstly the census number's are so much larger for TOS issues in that part of the run, and only a few highlights/keys there.

TTA 59, 60 are still diamond rare in HG, compared to TOS #59 which is stacked high in HG.

And iconicly, the Hulk over Cap, and Iron man...ok I'm biased here. But I'd tip it towards the Hulk, plus 2-1 on the movies (thumbs u