• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,385 posts in this topic

Is this one for real ?

Looks like a fake... but maybe i'm wrong (shrug)

I agree, the photo looks real but those comics look photo shopped. Why is the interior to the Blue Beetle so dang white? As are all the front comics relative to anything else in the picture.

And why are they all pretty key titles, not a single cartoon comic in the lot. Highly unlikely.

The clarity of the comics is a little too good although it is where the photo is focused so it would likely be crisper than the mags below (which I believe to be real).

Not trying to pick a fight and if you have the pics in hand then I'll take back my skepticism. But if you got them online, I'd be questionable as to the origin.

Ed

It looks real to me. Just a very clear image, whereas we're used to the comics in these shots being at least a little difficult to recognize. I don't know if I'd call Big 3 and Blue Beetle key titles.

Too cool!

Shoulda known that a noob search wouldn't pull up anything you hadn't seen.

By the bye, what do you think of my Jumbo 7 theory for the first pic in this thread?

Really hard to tell. I'm not really seeing the Jumbo Comics logo, and I'm having a hard time matching any of the panels to the Jumbo 7 cover panels. That part of the image is just too hard to make out.

whats great too about these pics is how silly they make all the movies where the crime is solved by enlarging a tiny spot in an old photo! Especially a photo of someone holding a newspaper...

You zoom in on these and you just get mush!

I'm just saying that if a photo like this can be photo shopped this well, than anything can be.

karloff-comic-rack.jpg

boris.JPG

not really. The better pic was photoshoppable because it was a much higher quality, probably the from a publicity 8x10 still. But the top pic was the same photo printed in a magazine and greatly reduced in resolution.

Theres no way the top image was retouched to look like the bottom one! You cant add clarity back to that extent.

No doubt you are correct, but a good photo shop artist can do wonders, especially with black and white. I'm just say the jury's out on the that newstand photo and to me there are other clues that suggest those comics aren't the real deal.

That said, it looks real enough. I'm just not ready to burn off my dilithium crystals to go back in time so I can buy some clothes pinned Popular and Tip Top comics.

Flee-Marquette is simply too good at what he does .

Ed

Newstandphoto1.jpg

These pics are so cool! :applause:

I was able to identify all but one:

(left to right)

Hit 11

Big Three 2

Champ Comics 13

?

World's Best 1

Superman 10

Action 35

All Star Comics 4

Master Comics 13

Blue Beetle 6

What about the Batman 4 on wall (look above gumball machine) and another aciton don't know what number just above that.

Paul

No doubt you are correct, but a good photo shop artist can do wonders, especially with black and white. I'm just say the jury's out on the that newstand photo and to me there are other clues that suggest those comics aren't the real deal.

That said, it looks real enough. I'm just not ready to burn off my dilithium crystals to go back in time so I can buy some clothes pinned Popular and Tip Top comics.

Flee-Marquette is simply too good at what he does .

Ed

no problem, but I think your over estimating what's possible. Yes photoshopp artists can do amazing things... but spending 100 hours to completely redraw that magazine printed image to look as crisp as the original still would not be worth anyones time.

But maybe we are misunderstanding each other. The comics in the magazine photo are the real comics that were on the stand that day. But the ones in the 8x10 still were definitely photoshopped in to replace the originals. Thats an easy job! just reduce and rotate and skew them til they match and mask them under the metal wires and add a few shadows here and there... voila!

What about the Batman 4 on wall (look above gumball machine) and another aciton don't know what number just above that.

Paul

It looks to be another Action 35.

Also, I was able to ID the Liberty magazine from march 1941 and the Movie Story from April 1941. This fits into the Comics dates.

Those background comics lend greatly to the whole picture being an original.

Paul

It looks to be another Action 35.

Also, I was able to ID the Liberty magazine from march 1941 and the Movie Story from April 1941. This fits into the Comics dates.

Those background comics lend greatly to the whole picture being an original.

I actually never considered that it was not origional. To me its fun to dream about such things, and the idea of it being fake or real doesn't matter as I know these exisisted all over the country. That part along with a picture(fake or real) is the enjoyable fantasy for me.

Paul

These old photo threads are my absolute favorite theads.......I just love them. I am going to go to the University Library some day and try to find a bunch of old pics of newstands with comics. I wonder if some of you in big cities like New York, Chicago, and the like could contact the older larger newspaper companies and see if the have old stock photos of such wonderfull time capsules.

Paul

Theres no way the top image was retouched to look like the bottom one! You cant add clarity back to that extent.

I think quibbling over the source picture obscures the main point. Someone was able to photoshop comics into an existing pic in way that looks fairly realistic to this casual observer so couldn't that have been done in the other pic?

yeah. just blur them up a little bit more. A lot more. But why? dont you think the newsstand pics are real? There's photoshop and then there's common sense. Mine sez the pic is real. What would be the point of doing that and then seeding it online somewhere? And if I did it Id pick keys just to make it more sensational.

anyway, I was just pointing out the limits of photoshop magic vs peoples motivations for doing something like this.