• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,361 posts in this topic

newsstandA1939.jpg

This is one of the oldest and clearest pics I've been able to discover.

Great find! I love seeing old Time Capsule photos like this. I lightened the image up a bit, at least we can now see Bailey's face. Or whoever it was working the stand that day.

Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to seeing the others.

newsstandA1939light.jpg

Speed Comics in the way upper right.

If you're talking under the RC Cola sign, I'm pretty sure it's a Screen magazine.

My eyes keep telling me I see part of the word "Marvel" in the glass under Mutt & Jeff, but it's not Marvel Comics. Maybe the Marvel pulp?

Speed Comics in the way upper right.

If you're talking under the RC Cola sign, I'm pretty sure it's a Screen magazine.

My eyes keep telling me I see part of the word "Marvel" in the glass under Mutt & Jeff, but it's not Marvel Comics. Maybe the Marvel pulp?

Whoops. took to quick of a glance.

I found these, one is the pic that started thread and the other is a little later but has some great books, I believe if I read correctly same newstand.

Newstandphoto2.jpgNewstandphoto1.jpg

sweet mary, mother of jesus!!!!.... I need a time machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newstandphoto1.jpg

These pics are so cool! :applause:

I was able to identify all but one:

(left to right)

Hit 11

Big Three 2

Champ Comics 13

?

World's Best 1

Superman 10

Action 35

All Star Comics 4

Master Comics 13

Blue Beetle 6

Newstandphoto1.jpg

These pics are so cool! :applause:

I was able to identify all but one:

(left to right)

Hit 11

Big Three 2

Champ Comics 13

?

World's Best 1

Superman 10

Action 35

All Star Comics 4

Master Comics 13

Blue Beetle 6

That's All-American #25 to the left of World's Best #1.

Wow, what a picture!!! I just wanna snatch em from the clips :devil:

And do what with them?

Eh eh...

article01.jpg

A comics burning in Binghamton, NY, 1948.

Groups of students continued to burn comic books in school yards around the country, some under the sway of their parents and teachers, some in concord with them, some unsure of their own points of view and doubtful of the propriety of disagreeing with their elders, some emboldened to defiance through the burnings themselves. In one case—a grand public protest organized in Rumson, New Jersey, an affluent town near the seashore—the young people involved were exceptionally young, Cub Scouts, and they were only part of an elaborate plan arranged by a Cubmaster, Louis Cooke, a scout committeeman, Ralph Walter, and the mayor, Edward Wilson. As it was announced on January 6 at a “fathers’ night” meeting of the Rumson High School PTA, the event was to involve a two-day drive to collect comic books “portraying murderers and criminals,” a journalist at the meeting reported. A group of forty Cubs would tour the borough in a fire truck, “with siren screaming, and collect objectionable books at homes along the way.” Then the mayor would lead the boys in a procession from Borough Hall to Rumson’s Victory Park, where Wilson would present awards to the scouts and lead them in burning the comic books. The Cub who had gathered the most comics would have the honor of applying the torch to the books. When the national office of the Cub Scouts of America declined to support the bonfire, and news­papers as far-flung as Michigan’s Ironwood Daily Globe questioned it, the Rumson event was revised to conclude with the scouts donating the comics to the Salvation Army for scrap.

A few weeks later, a Girl Scout leader in the farm-country town of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Mrs. Thomas Mullen, guided her troop and local students in a comic-book burning, unencumbered. (The event had not been widely publicized in advance.) The scouts, fourteen- to eighteen-year-old members of Senior Troop 29, began gathering crime comics, as well as western and romance titles (because of their shootings and sexual innuendo, respectively), then turned the burning over to students at St. Mary’s, a Catholic high school of about 275 housed in an austere redbrick building, a refurbished old hospital. Following a -script by the parish pastor, Rev. Theon Schoen, the students conducted a mock trial of four comic-book characters, portrayed by upperclassmen who pleaded guilty to “leading young people astray and building up false conceptions in the minds of youth.” The trial, held on the school grounds after classes, concluded with a “great big bonfire,” as one of the students, Bonnie Wulfers, would remember it. As the books burned, Schoen led the assembled group of more than four hundred students from St. Mary’s elementary and high schools in a version of the now-standard pledge to “neither read nor purchase objectionable publications and to stay away from retail establishments where such are sold.”

The Ten-Cent Plague

Jack

In the first picture, to the left of the Detective, could that possibly be Jumbo Comics 7? Dating would be close, and the panels and lower logo seem to match.

Is this one for real ?

Looks like a fake... but maybe i'm wrong (shrug)

I agree, the photo looks real but those comics look photo shopped. Why is the interior to the Blue Beetle so dang white? As are all the front comics relative to anything else in the picture.

And why are they all pretty key titles, not a single cartoon comic in the lot. Highly unlikely.

The clarity of the comics is a little too good although it is where the photo is focused so it would likely be crisper than the mags below (which I believe to be real).

Not trying to pick a fight and if you have the pics in hand then I'll take back my skepticism. But if you got them online, I'd be questionable as to the origin.

Ed