• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,361 posts in this topic

HERE is the type of GOLDEN AGE TIME MACHINE Picture we all dream about, and since BANGZOOM has awed us with so many of his cool pictures...I felt that HERE is where it would be BEST PLACED.

In my never ending QUEST to find old newsstand pictures to DROOL over , I've found another.

I just can't get enough of these type of pictures.

For your viewing pleasure I present a newsstand picture with SEPT-OCT-NOV 1939 comics in PLAIN SITE.....WOW !!!!!

newsstandA1939.jpg

This is one of the oldest and clearest pics I've been able to discover.

SEE the comics ???? Top left...you can make out MORE FUN from a mile away.

WOW !!!!!!

NOW....try to determine which issues are present.

NEED A CLOSE-UP ??

I did too....upon magnifying the pic, some COOL DISCOVERIES come to light.....

1939closeup.jpg

I was able to place SIX comics, with the one on the bottom left taking me forever to ID....

HERE are the three obvious ones......

threefrom1939.jpg

GOOD LUCK identifying the other three comics.

The Grand Comic Book Database is truly one of our most useful tools.

THE FUN doesn't stop here as I have two more GOLDEN AGE newsstand pics to post later.

One of them is PRETTY COOL and one that is going to BLOW YOUR FRIGGIN' SOCKS OFF !!!!!!

Are those more comics below the ones that are hanging? I might be imagining it, but my warped brain thinks I see the Marvel Mystery logo in those comics/pulps/magazines that are laying down below the hanging ones.

I did too....upon magnifying the pic, some COOL DISCOVERIES come to light.....

1939closeup.jpg

First, again let me thank you for finding these treasures. I don't know how you repeatedly do it.

There's another easy one on top right, it's Mutt & Jeff # 1 -

54899-MuttJeff1.jpg.416f3d964918209f471395fb4c89a1ac.jpg

I was hoping that those were comics also....but they appear to be more magazines. The MARVEL in question I think(?) says MAN...I dunno.

I would post a close-up of those mags, but it's pretty murky.

Good Call on the Detective 32....Can you imagine if it was 31 ? WOW....that would be just a tad NEATER.....

These were on the stands the same time as MARVEL COMICS 1 (as well as about a million other GREAT BOOKS).

Try to figure out what the book in the bottom left of the comics display is.

Scrooge " you are good, I mean... real good" (in my best Will Farrell impersonation)

It took me about an hour to navigate through the GCD until I happened upon the KEEN KOMICS....

I just typed in COMICS in the search bar...and then sorted it by date, since I knew the other mags were SEPT-OCT-NOV 1939.....still, it took some time.

I spend FAR TOO MUCH TIME searching for newsstand pictures.

1939.jpg

Is the top rightmost book, the one you couldn't ID?

I don't think that's a comic. It appears to be an oversized (bedsheet sized?) magazine. I stared at it for about 20 minutes this morning and ruled it out....

You be the judge....

1939b.jpg

To me...it looks like maybe a damsel in distress cover...a girl running with her hands in the air....and probably a DETECTIVE-CRIME type magazine.....however , it's pretty hard to tell.

Directly under "Candy Soft Drinks" in the sign on top there appears to be an issue of Science Comics from Fox.

Directly under "Candy Soft Drinks" in the sign on top there appears to be an issue of Science Comics from Fox.
The lettering in the word SCIENCE appears to be straight in the image, whereas the logo on the Fox "Science Comics" is curved. :gossip: