• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

You know, I have been thinking of putting up for auction some on my high/mid grade issues of early/mid-60s House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Tales of the Unexpected, and My Greatest Adventures.

While these issues are considered DC's second string sci-fi titles (behind Mystery in Space and Strange Adventures), they do have the sporadic Kirby gem, Nick Cardy cover, or compelling Mark Merlin story.

I was just pondering if anyone sees any kind of collector interest in these books of late...

Thanks.

Bill

Here are some very underrated TOTU covers. In particlular, I love the black background covers - they just make the colors in the foreground pop right out at ya!

First up is #13 - great Kirby cover & story.

TOTU_13.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

Next up is the famous Kirby Thor prototype that the Guide comments with: "character named Thor with a magic hammer by Kirby...not like later Thor".

Horsefeathers!! This Thor looks a bit more like Marvel's Odin, but the design of the hammer is identical to the one in Journey Into Mystery #83.

TOTU_16.jpg

Here' a great space-monster / grey tone cover, with more Kirby goodness inside...

TOTU_17.jpg

This one is a real favorite of mine, there is so much to like about this cover, thanks for posting it. (thumbs u

I have a TOTU #2 scanned, the cover doesn't do as much for me as this one, but, well, there is a big monkey on it and Planet of the Apes was big on TV yesterday so......

Here' a great space-monster / grey tone cover, with more Kirby goodness inside...

LOVE this one, never noticed it before!

Yup, there are some great greytones in Tales of the Unexpected and My Greatest Adventures. I will scan more of them.

In the meantime, here another with a great Kirby story:

TOTU_24.jpg

Yup, there are some great greytones in Tales of the Unexpected and My Greatest Adventures. I will scan more of them.

TOTU_24.jpg

I like the Lou Cameron cover and story in this issue more than I do the Kirby. Lou did a small amount of work in the 2nd string titles but all are worth a look.

Nice theme for a thread and nice books, AtlasFan! :applause:

I like the Lou Cameron cover and story in this issue more than I do the Kirby. Lou did a small amount of work in the 2nd string titles but all are worth a look.

Nice theme for a thread and nice books, AtlasFan! :applause:

Thank you sir! Those are some gorgeous book too.

I always felt that these books, in particular TOTU, are grossly under-appreciated.

Here are a couple more...

TOTU_27.jpg

TOTU_28.jpg