• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

i have had sellers on these boards ship me 15 dollars worth of stuff packaged like a fortress where anything short of being run over by a Mac truck wouldn't have caused any damage.

Yep. It's essential - there should be no room for the contents of a package to move AT ALL in transit and they should be buffered adequately from the box itself. Plus the package should be handler proof. Otherwise it's a recipe for disaster.

saying Ray should have waited until after the holidays to consummate a purchase he made on november 10th is possibly the most weasily statement i've ever read.

Shootydog's modified quote hits the issue square in the face.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Stating something about how I shipped the books when I should have just kept my mouth shut and fixed the problem

Methinks Mr. Ghastly will not sell another book here . . . :gossip:

Correct you may be I think as well! hm

On a side note about packing, it took me a few times before I finally got it right (as moonlite will attest :sorry: perseverence and using the techniques of how other Forumites sent me my books were instrumental in this:thumbsup:

Im no rookie to shipping fragile items.[ Im sorry Ray is unhappy but I dont feel its due to anything Ive done. The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

So shipping hundreds of unbagged, unboarded books loose in a box with newspaper packing is how the professionals do it? :screwy:

Well, I know 1 boardie I won't be buying from in the future.

:odoh!

They should have been placed tightly in a magazine long box (or short box if they fit) and at the very least bagged. Then a box placed around the long/short box for shipping.

Lot of peanuts between the boxes so there is no room for shaking.

That's how I sent my long box of 150 cheap $1 moderns that weren't boarded.

They got there fine.

Im going to reply to this only once as Raymond is confused...

There were 2 stacks of SSOC that I put in the box FLAT face up not on any edge. I put a peice of styrofoam in the middle of the box dividing the 2 stacks. At either end of each stack I packed with crumpled newspaper. Both the top bottom and sided were lined with paper. The Eerie was in the middle with the Styro. Everything was tight and not loose as the pic shows. Ray noted a crushed corner on the box and Im guessing its from someone dropping the box ???? Ray didnt get the box until 1 week after it arrived. How was the box treated ? Did his neighbor mishandle the box ? For all I know his neighbor tripped with the box and it crashed to the ground ??? The point is I dont know nor does Ray for the matter what happened to that box during and after shipping... Did FedEx mishandle the box ? Everything was packed well but I imagin a box thats mishandled bad enough can result in damage to books. If Ray were a wiser man he would have requested shipping after the Holidays and he would have recieved the books in person. Now there is question and doubt. Im no rookie to shipping fragile items. Im sorry Ray is unhappy but I dont feel its due to anything Ive done. The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

To see this kind of response from a boardie with a previously good reputation is absolutely shocking. Are you having some kind of financial problems that are preventing you from paying a refund? Absent any other facts that haven`t been disclosed here, this is a complete no-brainer that you are in the wrong.

The books weren`t packed properly, whether they were sideways or like you said. To the extent the damage was caused by mishandling by FedEx or his neighbor, it is YOU that bears the risk of mishandling until the buyer has taken possession of the package. The reason is that only YOU are in position to have done something to limit any potential mishandling damage, and that`s by packaging the books properly, particularly if YOU knew that packages might get rougher handling during the holiday rush.

Make good on this and get this episode behind you. I can`t see anyone who would look at the facts as currently stated, including a judge or jury, and take your side.

The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

Actually the pics he posted shows a complete lack of any real packing material. I can't believe that many books were shipped loose. Loose books have a momentum of their own. They will shift and shuffle inside a box, even one that seems "tightly packed" to begin with. No way, even with careful handling, was the contents going to arrive in the same condition it left. The SSOCs should have been broken out into smaller groups, put in a kraft envelope with cardboard lining both sides of each envelope. Line these with bubble wrap. Then those could be put into the large box with a lot of lining such as newspaper and styrofoam peanuts. I'd take it a step further and oput the bubble wrapped groups into their own boxes then pack it all in the large one.

That EERIE is another story though. You can see the major deterioration at the staple area. You can feel the edge brittleness. Not what I would be expecting from the the original description and cover scan.

Im going to reply to this only once as Raymond is confused...

No it seems as if you're the one confused...

There were 2 stacks of SSOC that I put in the box FLAT face up not on any edge. I put a peice of styrofoam in the middle of the box dividing the 2 stacks. At either end of each stack I packed with crumpled newspaper. Both the top bottom and sided were lined with paper. The Eerie was in the middle with the Styro. Everything was tight and not loose as the pic shows.

The mags were sent loose. That is never a proper way to send mags/comics. No amount of paper or styroform will stop them from sliding in the box. This is basic comics packing 101... doh!

Ray noted a crushed corner on the box and Im guessing its from someone dropping the box ???? Ray didnt get the box until 1 week after it arrived. How was the box treated ? Did his neighbor mishandle the box ? For all I know his neighbor tripped with the box and it crashed to the ground ??? The point is I dont know nor does Ray for the matter what happened to that box during and after shipping... Did FedEx mishandle the box ? Everything was packed well but I imagin a box thats mishandled bad enough can result in damage to books.

This is all irrelevent and an attempt by you to deflect blame. Bottomline...the box arrived damaged and the contents inside weren't packaged to withstand even the most subtle of handling. The blames on you not the receiver...

If Ray were a wiser man he would have requested shipping after the Holidays and he would have recieved the books in person.

You're kidding right? Wait...you're serious? That's a completely warped rational...

Im no rookie to shipping fragile items.

Obviously you are or you'd have done more to secure the items in the box.

And this doesn't even begin to address the Eerie overgrading. That is a topic all it's own. So a person now has to question both your grading and your packing.

You need to rectify this because from all indications it's making only one person look bad and that's you...

Jim

I almost bought the Eerie too. Really glad that I didn't buy that piece of junk. This is the most reprehensible deal that I have witnessed on the boards. The books were shipped in such a manner that the outcome was inevitable.

Ghastly, you are done on the boards my friend.

Scott

As far as the "placement poll" I feel if Ghastly rectifies the situation he shouldn't be placed on the probation list. Regardless of whose fault it is, the seller should be ultimately responsible for the packing/shipping and even handling. A simple preventative with insurance (a MUST IMO for any high $$ transaction) could have helped the situation immeasurably. I personally have made more than a few sales and stand by my grading/packing. Some of my first sales were to moonlite and some books were damaged with handling due to my inadequate packing, not once but TWICE (I have since learned to pack them better). I offered him a partial refund for the damaged books to which he declined, but I still sent him freebies. He was great about it and even gave me pointers about how to better prep the books for mailing. The important thing was I took responsibility, kept good communication, and worked out a solution with my customer