• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,125 posts in this topic

No, he is not popular. I think there is nothing worse than to have a character or run of books have a meteoric rise in popularity and then a fall off. Conan is like Dungeons and Dragons. There are a few hard core fans but the buzz is non existant even to the point where you can't make fun anymore. Lots of folks selling collections wholesale and lots of high grade copies since speculators bought them in bulk back in the 70's.

Speaking of redheaded step children....

scan0020.jpg

scan0021.jpg

imho, Conan is still as cool as he has always been. :cloud9:

But his comics are fairly easy to acquire so the boardies probably don't have to search very hard to find the books. Thus, less questions and comments here on the forum.

I'm currently re-reading and enjoying REH's pulp Conans.

Nothing like a good Barbarian story to fire the imagination. :applause:

The current Conan series is great, but I am a bit leery about the change in creative team.

IMHO, Savage Sword of Conan was the best bang for your buck in terms of entertainment value in comics.

Conan is still a popular title from what I can see. When I take books to the local cons I can sell any early SSOC and Conan the Barbarian issue I take with me.

I posted earlier this year about the original pulp stories when I finished reading a collection of some of them. I hope to read the rest at some point. Great stories, but I've never been interested in collecting the comics.

Back in the day in England early Conans were actually quite scarce - it was only in the '90s when dealers brought back sackfuls of BWS issues that we all came to learn how common they were. Which is vaguely ironic considering BWS was one of the first (the first?) English artists at Marvel.

The new Dark Horse series has been very good - highly recommended if you haven't checked it out.

I posted earlier this year about the original pulp stories when I finished reading a collection of some of them. I hope to read the rest at some point. Great stories, but I've never been interested in collecting the comics.

I originally read literally everything Conan back in the 70s including all the L.Sprague DeCamp stuff. It is interesting to go back and reread it again 30 years later.

Did you ever try the Savage Sword of Conan or Savage Tales mags?

If not, give them a try as they are similar in flavor to the original pulps.

The mags are fairly cheap to get except the 1st issues of each title.

Did you ever try the Savage Sword of Conan or Savage Tales mags?

Picked up a stack of 80 late SSoC from ft88 last week or so on a lark and now I can't wait to get the books in my hand. They should provide some fun reading for a good loooong time.

I've always liked Conan. I have been reading the current DH series and was also reading Marvel reprints in the 80's. Some Conan novels were the first books I read entirely in English. Let me tell you that I had to crack the dictionary a LOT when going through the book. Descriptions were killer for my level of English proficiency at the time. This takes me back to simpler days ... :cloud9:

Did you ever try the Savage Sword of Conan or Savage Tales mags? If not, give them a try as they are similar in flavor to the original pulps.

No, never read them, although I've been curious. My LCS has some back issues of the magazines, but they are more than I'd like to spend for reading material. If I could find some cheap, I might be interested, but it's not a priority.

I guess that most people who like Conan already have most of the early issues that are deemed "collectible".

The stuff after BWS..well, there's more of it out there than there's an eager market for. The BWS stuff sells, although OPG is a bit unrealistic. I hate saying that because I have dupes (at least) of almost all of these issues and for a few years there I bought anything with a 25 cent or earlier cover price out of a bargain bin if it was in decent shape.

With that said, most of them are great reads, as is SSOC.

I think I noticed a bit of an uptick on the BWS conan books over the last year, particularly the Red Sonja issues.

If only they could do a high end animated conan on Showtime or HBO that follows the early story lines with some art along the lines of the early "painted" Darkhorse issues, but that would probably be prohibitely expensive.