• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: OT Posts

142 posts in this topic

Arch,

Most of us that participate on the CGC boards do not hang out in the water cooler, and therefore don't know the people who post there.

OT posts tend to be of a more personal nature, and are directed towards friends on the boards, not the strangers in the water cooler.

Could not have said that better :hi:

If everyone on the CGC boards would actually go and start hanging out in the WC, instead of complaining about how they don't know anyone in the WC, then you would soon know everyone in the WC. :gossip:

And the weirdos would probably leave the WC because it wouldn't be their own private lunatic asylum anymore. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

I once suggested that OT posts belong only in the WC and I was branded an elitist. doh!:flamed::tonofbricks:

I was too. But to be branded an elitist to me is a compliment

CAL :grin:

• Administrator

The below is still an accurate representation of moderation policy on this issue.

-------------------------

"This is just a reminder that while there is considerable lee-way on what's allowed in comics general, including the occasional OT post, we do need to keep a reasonable limit on non-comic related posts. This is less a carved in stone limit than a general feel for the % of OT content.

The water cooler is the appropriate place for general banter.

Thanks.

Arch"

---------------------------

"

The only thing I find confusing is the selection of which OT posts are allowed or removed. I could see where it might be taken somewhat personally for someone to post an OT post only to have it wiped rather quickly while others remain and even get posted afterwards with no attention.

There is no exact science. If there aren't many popping up, we tend to ignore them. When the trend of OT posts gets too numerous, we run a quick skim through the threads and move a bunch. If your OT post was this week as part of a trend of too many, you'll get swept. If it was an isolated incidence on a mostly on-topic week, it might get left.

Also, some topics are more clearly way off topic than others. For example, a post about the TV show heros, while not technically about comic books is pretty clearly sort of comic book related through the super hero concept. A post about Battlestar Galactica... ok... not very comic booky but a pretty good bet to be of interest to the crowd.

A post about flying model airplanes... water cooler.

Essentially it's a process left to expediency and based on the general feel among the participants and moderators of whether CG is feeling too off topic. We will not be refining that process as it wouldn't be worth the time consumption. Please just utilize common sense and try to keep things generally on topic. Thanks."

Arch if a thread is moved to the water cooler by the lovable moderators and the person who created the thread complains about it publicly by starting a couple of threads in protest of such moderation, what would you say to that individual? hm

Although I appreciate some of the OT posts here, I think we just need to go ahead and "bite the bullet" and simply ban OT posts here. Subjectivity is bad enough...let's go ahead and make it a black and white rule.

Just what we need on a comics forum more rules.

• Administrator
Arch if a thread is moved to the water cooler by the lovable moderators and the person who created the thread complains about it publicly by starting a couple of threads in protest of such moderation, what would you say to that individual? hm

I would say... uh... cut it out?

Honestly, I don't mind a thread now and then raising issues with moderation and questioning the direction. We design moderation around what helps the community to thrive and getting an occasional gut check from the community on those issues is a good thing.

I also think that the community self-moderating through sharing opinions with each other about when, for example, things are getting too off topic is a good thing as well. It helps everyone stay in touch with each other about what kind of posting is appreciated and what kind isn't and by who.

Several threads, or too frequent beating of a dead horse, or overly aggressive spamming once an issue has been discussed and fair opinions expressed would be too much - but an occasional re-addressing of an issue over reasonably long periods of time is ok. Let's just not get combative over it.

This is just a reminder that while there is considerable lee-way on what's allowed in comics general, including the occasional OT post, we do need to keep a reasonable limit on non-comic related posts. This is less a carved in stone limit than a general feel for the % of OT content.

The water cooler is the appropriate place for general banter.

Thanks.

Arch

hm

OT - I am having trouble dealing with the other insurance company in an auto accident ordeal. I am trying to get reimbursed for diminishment of value on a practically new Audi A6 that sustained $12,000 in damage. What is my best course of action? I would love input from you comic nerds on this one!

you should have bought gap coverage when you purchased the vehicle when you financed it. If you didn't finance it, I think you can still get that type of insurance in the future.

I personally don't mind OT issues as long as the word comic is somewhere in the paragraph.

Look...just quit posting *spoon* just because you feel like it.

Post if you have content that can sustain a conversation. If you just post a topic by merely vomiting words upon the forum and up your post count than STOP.

*spoon*, It's annoying.

/Postcount++

//seriously

If you just post a topic by merely vomiting words upon the forum and up your post count than STOP.

lol

..BUT...BUT...that would be the end of all things as we know them...

:(

Post if you have content that can sustain a conversation. If you just post a topic by merely vomiting words upon the forum and up your post count than STOP.

*spoon*, It's annoying.

/Postcount++

//seriously

What about cryptic greamlin only posting.

For instance....

:whistle:meh:boo::headbang:

*spoon*, It's annoying.

/Postcount++

//seriously

I will assume that you are not replying directly to me. :sick: