Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#185120 - 08/17/03 06:23 PM Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think.
jom Offline
Posting Traumatic Stress Disorder
Pedigreed

Thanks to Shylock's (and others) help I've finally finished my website of my coin pictures. It's been a big pain in the asp but I finally got some shots I'm happy with. For the vast majority of the pictures I did NOT have to play with them in Photoshop to get them to match up with the real thing. A few of the pics I had to adjust the "brightness" and some I had to tweek the "color temperature" (really just moving the yellow tint to a blueish cast). Problems:

1) Getting the stupid glare from the slab out of the picture. I spent a lot of time fooling around with the stupid lights and probably creating permenant damage to my eyes from the bulb glare.

2) Had a difficult time with the NGC slabs because the white background made the apertaure (which was set to auto) close a bit so the area of the coin in the pic came out too dark. Contrary to Shylock's suggestions I was better off NOT using the White Balance for color in these cases. I did notice that the pics would end up with a higher color temp even after I went on to shoot more PCGS slabbed coins. Never quite figured out why.

3) Highly lusterous coins were difficult because of the "black and white" effect of the luster. It made the "dark" areas hard to see in the photo. It was particularly difficult when the nicely toned areas were in the dark areas.

4) I originally thought it would be easier without slabs but shooting my raw Kennedy's were hard since there wasn't anything to help tilt the coin slightly when I had lighting problems. Eventually ended up using a half of the snap-shut coin holder.

Photo set-up:

Nikon 950 set to Fine Resolution, Auto focus and aperature, No Flash, Macro mode.
Anywhere from one to three OTT lamps. Two of the type Shylock uses and one "swirl" type OTT.

My Website

jom

#185121 - 08/17/03 08:10 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: jom]
truthteller Offline
Instigator
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The one true undisputed Truth
Very impressive!

TRUTH

Max, 5/7/2010 I will see you again

#185122 - 08/17/03 08:17 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: truthteller]
jom Offline
Pedigreed

Thanks...I just realized I forgot to add my 15-P Eagle on there. Overall, probably my nicest gold coin.

jom

#185123 - 08/17/03 08:50 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: jom]
RWW Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Rochester, NY
Very, very nice pictures! Wow...you have done a GREAT job - thanks for the link to share them.

#185124 - 08/17/03 10:32 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: jom]
Oldtrader3 Offline

The Unknown Engineer

Pedigreed

Loc: Western Washington
Your gold coin pics came out well, I think. They represent the various subtle green, gold and pink toning that gold gets.

#185125 - 08/17/03 11:07 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: jom]
TomB Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I'm going to visit your web site right very soon but I wanted to let you know something before I forgot. If you are taking photos against a white background then you will fool the camera into thinking the image is brighter than it is, therefore, you may be able to get better images if you place black velvet over the slab with a cutout area around the coin. This will darken the field considerably and allow the camera to think the image is darker. It works well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

Check out my photography and follow me on Facebook

On ebay as ivyleaguecoin

#185126 - 08/17/03 11:21 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: jom]
TomB Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Nice photos!

I haven't looked through all of them yet but I have some impressions about what I have seen. The color of the gold coins is very nice, they do not appear to be overlit, and that allows one to see the coin as well as the luster. The '08 NM eagle has terrific original color! Do you think the alloy was heavy in copper for this one? The '71 and '73 JFK halves both appear to have been stored in a Dansco album for a long time with that blue-gold cast of haze on them. The WLH has really cool toning, you don't see them like that often. Your SLQs are lovely. I don't know if I like the '30 or '30-S better but I am leaning toward the '30-S. Those are also tough Mercs to get in the eye appeal that you have. The Lincoln also looks like it was in a Dansco. Lastly, that's a good looking heard of Buffs, don't let Hoot see them!

Nice coins!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

Check out my photography and follow me on Facebook

On ebay as ivyleaguecoin

#185127 - 08/17/03 11:26 PM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: TomB]
Oldtrader3 Offline

The Unknown Engineer

Pedigreed

Loc: Western Washington
Another trick that I use with 35mm is an 18% (Zone V) Gray Card over the coin with the same lighting as the coin on it to expose and lock the meter to Zone V exposure of the card. Then it does not matter what the coin matrix field color is. You get "normal", Zone corrected exposure of the coin.

#185128 - 08/18/03 12:47 AM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: Oldtrader3]
Hoot Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very nice jom! Thanks for taking the time to show your coins - great job! You have some sweet buffs there along with some other fantastic coins!

Hoot
I beg you to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Donít search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without ever noticing it, live your way into the answer. ~Rainer M. Rilke

Signature set: Transitional Pieces of 1836-40

#185129 - 08/18/03 02:27 AM Re: Finished taking pictures of my coins...I think. [Re: Hoot]
jom Offline
Pedigreed

Thanks folks!

TomB: Yeah, that is exactly what happened. Oddly, I did a white balance with the camera in "manual mode" (you'd know what I mean if you had a Nikon) then went back to auto to do the PCGS coins and I'd get different results than before I set the WB. Problem is it is NOT supposed to be in WB mode in "auto". I just simply do NOT know this camera and its workings well enough. Basically, I'm a photographic idiot...lol

Oldtrader3: Read my previous paragraph. I have NO idea what you are talking about...lol I guess I need to actually READ that "Digital Photography for Dummies" I bought.

TomB:

Too funny, the 08-P NM is a SCAN, I no longer own the coin so I couldn't take a pic. The 08-D is a camera shot so I'm not sure which you meant. (???) BTW, check out the 07-P I just added. I forgot to add that to the page earlier.

All the toned Kennedy's have been in a Dancso since mid-93. I believe we discussed this once over at the PCGS boards. I never knew Dansco albums toned...about 4 years into it I noticed. The colorful 82-P was the first I noticed....

The 30-S is my favorite of the two SLQ's.

The Lincoln I bought in a slab for $25 so I don't know where it had been. I consider it the steal of the century...the only Cent I own.

The 19-S was my first "big" purchase, in late 93. Before that I had just been putting together modern raw MS sets (such as the Kennedy's). The 18-S Dime I bought RAW (!) from Stacks (at the Long Beach show). I was exceedingly lucky I didn't get burned on that being that I had NO experience buying coins like that. The 26-D used to be a great coin but it seems to me to have darkened over the years....AT? Plus, I paid way too much for it. Let's just say I'm "buried" in it.

jom

Edited by jom (08/18/03 02:41 AM)

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  ngcmod, dena, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Keith Zaner, ccgmod1, jrich, cgcmod8, ccgmod2-migration 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.