• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,601 posts in this topic

So here's a "Wonder Woman" neophyte question out of left field: there appears to be a shift in style where the "big eyelashes" Wonder Woman is replaced by a more modern image. Is this a shift in cover artists? Did the same artist do the covers for earlier Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman?

Dennis

So here's a "Wonder Woman" neophyte question out of left field: there appears to be a shift in style where the "big eyelashes" Wonder Woman is replaced by a more modern image. Is this a shift in cover artists? Did the same artist do the covers for earlier Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman?

Dennis

The early Wonder Womans and Sensations were drawn by her creator, HG Peters. Later other artists like Irwin Hasen, Irv Novick, and Ross Andru were brought in. The WW95 is by Andru who drew most of the covers from that point through the next 10 years.

Dennis

Harry G Peters did the VERY early Sensations and the Wonder Womans...and Wonder Woman was reinvented several times...I think the biggest change was the no costume segment, but that was much later on...

Ah..sorry, I was typing while it was being answered:) I guess I always think of William Moulton Marston as her creator...I get a kick out of the Lie detector Cover...and reading about Moulton/Marston living with 2 women...

The early Wonder Womans and Sensations were drawn by her creator, HG Peters. Later other artists like Irwin Hasen, Irv Novick, and Ross Andru were brought in. The WW95 is by Andru who drew most of the covers from that point through the next 10 years.

I was reading recently in the 365 Days of DC flip book that, at some point, Peters got behind and some other artist (can't recall the name) stepped in for at least one issue to give a breather to Peters and give him time to assemble a team of assistants. Anyone remember the artist's name?

Canadian and American version

Sensation Comics #89

scan0008-3.jpgsensation89.jpg

very cool...

I did manage to pick up 2 WW off my list, but sharon already posted them...

I have about 30 of them at CGC now, whence they get back, I will be able to contribute!

gator

I was reading recently in the 365 Days of DC flip book that, at some point, Peters got behind and some other artist (can't recall the name) stepped in for at least one issue to give a breather to Peters and give him time to assemble a team of assistants. Anyone remember the artist's name?

I can't recall the artist either, but (as noted in the Guide) some early Sensations had WW stories not by Peter: 8, 17 thru 19, and 21.

Here's the 18:

100_1274.jpg

I can't recall the artist either, but (as noted in the Guide) some early Sensations had WW stories not by Peter: 8, 17 thru 19, and 21.

Here's the 18:

100_1274.jpg

WOW! That is one glossy Sensation!!!

(worship):o

Here's the 18:

100_1274.jpg

didn't you know, sacentaur is just a code word for "glossy"

gator

Interesting and apparently controversial at GCD.

Cover credits from GCD:

8 says

Harry G. Peter (Pencils) Harry G. Peter (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

17 and 19 say

Frank Godwin (Pencils) Frank Godwin (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

Indexer notes:

credits by Jerry Bails;

18 says

Harry G. Peter [as H.G. Peter] (signed) (Pencils) Harry G. Peter [as H.G. Peter] (signed) (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

Cover pencil and ink credit from Barry Sandoval (March 9, 2006). Cover pencil and ink credit originally given to Frank Godwin. H. G. Peters signature can be seen in the extreme lower left corner of the cover.

21 says

Harry G. Peter (Pencils) Harry G. Peter (Inks)

but as you said, Godwin gets story pencil/ink credits on 17-19 and 21 (but not 8)

Jack

didn't you know, sacentaur is just a code word for "glossy"

gator

That's the last time I ever let you borrow my Secret Decoder Ring!

Godwin gets story pencil/ink credits on 17-19 and 21 (but not 8)

Thanks for the research, Jack - does anyone have Sensation 8 to check the interior story?

"...in this upset world of men!"

Haw! I don't suppose you ever feel that way on these boards.

I could easily believe that's not H G Peter -- not "baroque" enough -- but couldn't pick Godwin out of a line-up.

Thanks for scanning and posting. Now to get it back in that danged slab.

Jack

(notice that he didn't ask me to pull out MY copy of Sensation 8)

sensation80001.jpg

Hope this helps, I don't see anything, although there are names on the other stories, not this one...