• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,018 posts in this topic

presumably Batman and Superman were on their way over when that cover for 28 was done. or they're around the back of Starro, plotting and scheming

presumably Batman and Superman were on their way over when that cover for 28 was done. or they're around the back of Starro, plotting and scheming

According Julie Schwartz, the early B&B and JLA covers did not feature Superman/Batman because he wanted to feature the other characters since supes/bats had their own solo books.

According Julie Schwartz, the early B&B and JLA covers did not feature Superman/Batman because he wanted to feature the other characters since supes/bats had their own solo books.

I think there was also a concern at the time about overexposure of the most popular characters by featuring them in too many books.

Times have apparently changed. yeahok.gif

i was assuming it was a Dave Cockrum / Wolverine thing where the artist just didn't like the characters all that much and thus left them off

i was assuming it was a Dave Cockrum / Wolverine thing where the artist just didn't like the characters all that much and thus left them off

Mike Sekowsky later starts adding them onto the covers... I know there are some people who don't like the Brave and the Bold 28 cover, but for me, it's one of my faves (even without the big 2)

OK, but no interest in my #11 ? poke2.gif

Seriously, I would have started a JLA thread, but outside of you & I Tim, I didn't think there would be enough interest. The Title still has $$ followers (proven every time a HG copy shows up for sale), but on these boards????

Alrighty then, I'll start scanning some pics...........

Rick

I've read that the reason Superman and Batman weren't on the early JLA covers is because Mort Weisinger and Jack Schiff weren't keen about "their" big characters being used in it at all - the DC editorial offices at that time being virtual fiefdoms, with almost no creative interaction. Presumably they changed their attitude when it became clear that the book was a success.

(Ironic that a few years later, Batman DOMINATED the covers for a year or so.)