• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wow, the below is the kind of thing I would've drawn over and over in third grade if I'd had this for inspiration.

MarvelMystery21GA.jpg

i started counting the number of times Schomburg bunged up proportion/perspective on this cover and stopped at thirty.

tonofbricks.gif

not my favourite. but i can appreciate it in other ways, like how it is the ne plus ultra example of the "Nazi labelling" genre

Thanks for all the great cover scans. I hope you don't mind me asking of you have a copy of The Funnies #22 that you might post a cover scan of. It's the last Dell comic I need a cover scan for.

Super scans - I'll be watching this thread for a long time

Thanks for all the great cover scans. I hope you don't mind me asking of you have a copy of The Funnies #22 that you might post a cover scan of. It's the last Dell comic I need a cover scan for.

Super scans - I'll be watching this thread for a long time

I don't have # 22 and don't recall ever seeing that issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

Beautiful All Stars BZ. It is interesting to me that back in the day, you had to have a set of All Star Comics to be considered a TRUE collector. That was the badge that allowed you acceptance into the club. Now All Star is rarely talked about (other that #3 and #8). Every dog has its day, and I am sure opinion will turn and people will gravitate back to these. We sell the heck out of the Archive reprints. There really aren't many titles that are as packed with good stories.

Beautiful All Stars BZ. It is interesting to me that back in the day, you had to have a set of All Star Comics to be considered a TRUE collector. That was the badge that allowed you acceptance into the club. Now All Star is rarely talked about (other that #3 and #8). Every dog has its day, and I am sure opinion will turn and people will gravitate back to these. We sell the heck out of the Archive reprints. There really aren't many titles that are as packed with good stories.

yeah. where else can you find a comic with a lightning guy goosing a fella on the cover?? : )

Awesome, again.

I really enjoyed hearing how you placed your ads. I would like to hear some stories of the people who contacted you, what did you buy and what did you not buy.

Thanks again.

Yes - and also whether this buying style resulted in you having many doubles? You mentioned that you didn't have money to buy from dealers but tried to buy hordes from original owners - this would lend itself to duplication as most accumulations result in this. Did you trade a lot if you got doubles? Or just not buy them if they were in a collection? Sorry if it seems like prying but from the way you collected your books, I could imagine you might have multiples of some issues and there are boardies here who love to hoard and show pics of their multiple copies smile.gif

OT- man, Marvel needs to archive reprint these old Timelys. I'd pay 50 bucks a pop for that stuff all day long. Damn you DC and your fat Time Warner backed pockets.

Well, haven't they just been doing that in the Masterworks series? confused.gif

Here's what's out:

All-Winners Vol. 1

All-Winners Vol. 2

Marvel Vol. 1

Marvel Vol. 2

Capt. America Vol. 1

Human Torch Vol. 1

Sub-Mariner Vol. 1

USA Vol. 1

plus the Atlas Heroes vol. 1 and I know these have been successful enough that more are planned, Sub-Mariner vol. 2 being the next to come out.

woops. Colour me uninformed. Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Awesome, again.

I really enjoyed hearing how you placed your ads. I would like to hear some stories of the people who contacted you, what did you buy and what did you not buy.

Thanks again.

Yes - and also whether this buying style resulted in you having many doubles? You mentioned that you didn't have money to buy from dealers but tried to buy hordes from original owners - this would lend itself to duplication as most accumulations result in this. Did you trade a lot if you got doubles? Or just not buy them if they were in a collection? Sorry if it seems like prying but from the way you collected your books, I could imagine you might have multiples of some issues and there are boardies here who love to hoard and show pics of their multiple copies smile.gif

I ended up with plenty of duplicates. Initially I had hoped to sell them off and use the profits to pay for my collection. It worked for the first year or two but eventually the costs far exceeded my profits and I had to turn to my father to help finance some deals.

I sold off the doubles through ads in the fanzine, The Rocket's Blast and at New York Comic Conventions beginning in 1965 or 1966.

Here's my 1966 convention badge.