• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Thursday afternoon with Creig Flessel
3 3

84 posts in this topic

I've re-read this thread about 10 times. Every time it blows me away. And it helps to have the Flessel appreciation thread open at the same time for those of us not as intimately familiar with Flessel's work wink.gif

Flessel tribute

Scott, that's an amazing account of an amazing day. It would be for me, like spending the day with Steve Ditko. Wow. And I bet he's got a million more stories about what working in comics was like both pre-superhero and when it all exploded. cloud9.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

If you put a lunch together sometime let me know. I might just come out for it... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

FFB what a great report.

This is the side of the hobby that i enjoy hearing/reading about, the stories that come from those who actually lived through those eras. Where the iconic characters we see today, were viewed much like how the new modern characters are viewed today.

It is a shame no one has gone around to all those great artist & writers to collect their stories/memories so that we all can see how these books have evolved.

Much appreciation from the land down under 893applaud-thumb.gif

I enjoyed this lunch very much and loved the stories.

I am planing more lunches with other living golden age artist who don't attend conventions. I was considering Jack Davis next.

Please do!!

I'm not the greatest collector of GA but i appreciate what they started thumbsup2.gif

I read this thread with great interest because I find human longevity, and the completely different eras that a human life can span, fascinating. To think that Mr. Flessel was drawing classic comic book covers, on the ground floor of the medium, while FDR was president and Lou Gehrig was hitting homers for the Yankees. And to still be drawing....wow.

Why hasn't DC commissioned him to do a new cover for a modern issue of Detective? How cool would that be?

I read this thread with great interest because I find human longevity, and the completely different eras that a human life can span, fascinating. To think that Mr. Flessel was drawing classic comic book covers, on the ground floor of the medium, while FDR was president and Lou Gehrig was hitting homers for the Yankees. And to still be drawing....wow.

Why hasn't DC commissioned him to do a new cover for a modern issue of Detective? How cool would that be?

That is a great idea! Can any powers on these boards facilitate that?

This has to be one of the nicest threads I've read in a long time, it made me feel good to read it. I'm glad Mr. Flessel had such a positive reaction to the visit. It seemed like good feelings all around. Very nice, FFB and the others are good sports and gentlemen.

27_laughing.gif you are a real pal, Win.

So I am going to try to set up a small group lunch in April. I'd like to keep it to four people, plus Creig, assuming he's willing. Peter, Win, and whoever else wants to come along, let me know what dates could work for you in April. I don't see any reason why we couldn't do a weekend day, which could help with travel (weekdays are also fine with me, but I assume that neither of you guys wants to miss work if you can help it). If you guys could tell me what dates work for you, I can float the idea and potential dates by Creig and see if he's up for it.

And I'll make sure to bring a damned camera this time! foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

Hey scott I am thinking of coming up for supercon If I do we might have to plan another lunch.

Right on, Kris! thumbsup2.gif

By the way, I know I thanked you profusely the day of the lunch, but I just noticed that I didn't thank you properly on the boards. So thanks, Kris. If not for you, I would not have had that incredible experience. 893applaud-thumb.gif

FFB, i would love to meet mr. flessel if you don't have four or by luck four people can't be found. i'd take a day off and drive up if possible

OK, just let me know what dates in April work for you and we'll see whose schedules work together.

your thanks is not necessary Scott. I could tell how much it meant to you. If it weren't for you driving there I would have never found the place. Plus the volvo was much better than a taxi.

And those nachos looked pretty good too. 27_laughing.gifyay.gifcloud9.gif

lol you are a real pal, Win.

So I am going to try to set up a small group lunch in April. I'd like to keep it to four people, plus Creig, assuming he's willing. Peter, Win, and whoever else wants to come along, let me know what dates could work for you in April. I don't see any reason why we couldn't do a weekend day, which could help with travel (weekdays are also fine with me, but I assume that neither of you guys wants to miss work if you can help it). If you guys could tell me what dates work for you, I can float the idea and potential dates by Creig and see if he's up for it.

And I'll make sure to bring a damned camera this time! foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

So far, I've heard from Hawkman and CentaurMan about potential dates. Anyone else want to chime in before I make the call?