• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

advice for new collectors

186 posts in this topic

- Always start by purchasing books that you enjoy (or think you would like) reading.

- Don't start collecting to try and make money

- Don't make a large purchase unless you are well informed about the book

- Don't let someone tell you what is good to read, unless of course you value their opinion.

I'm sure I'll come up with some later, but here is a start...

purchase books unslabbed from reputable dealers as the prices are usually much more "beginner friendly". Purchase Overstreet Guide to Grading. Purchase supplies from either Bill Cole or E Gerber. Read up on how to store your comics. Don't buy stuff you know nothing about. If something seems to good to be true, it usually is. Check for Marvel Value stamps on issues that contain them (Hulk 181).

Brian

What advice would you give people just getting into comic book collecting. You could talk about grading, Industry mags. catalogs, slabbed books verses raw books, what to watch out on EBAY or any other suggestions. CHRIS

Edited by chrisfuccione

Buy what you like and if the value goes up, it's a bonus! Don't try to get caught up in the hype. Think 1st. Read The Comics Buyer's Guide (weekly newspaper) and Comic Book Marketplace (monthly magazine).

John

1) If something is hot, it is probably already too late to buy it (investment-wise).

2) If you like a book, learn the writer's name and look for more stuff by that writer. If you like the art, learn the artist's name and find out what else he does. You can tell a collector from a casual reader by how many creative people they can name.

3) Find out as much as you can about what hasn't happened yet. Read Previews and pre-order books you really want. If you wait until the books hit the store, you may not get it.

4) Look around, don't tie yourself down to only one seller...but, if you find a seller you feel comfortable with, stick to him. Repeat customers get better treatment.

5) Frank Miller....find him...read his stuff...right now... sign off the discussion board and do it.

If your a new collector. Talk to everyone that likes comics. See what is out there and find out what you like. If you like modern books that's great, if you like high grade pedigree comics that's great too! Be sure to read up on everything you can get you hands on. Also try and meet good collectors and dealers who can give you some help. Learn grading as it's key in collecting comics. And best of all just have fun!

Like Hogations said, your best would be to visit a comic convention...There are tons to go to during the summer....

Whether you're a previous collector or just beginning, it's always great to see the thousands and thousands of other comic collectors/fanatics eager to add new additions to their collection. Talk to a lot of people, and read a lot of the posts some of these collectors put up... they offer great sources of reference for new and old collectors.

Yea, since Im not a completist Im not even bothering to collect any X-men comics from issues 100-385 though there are some good storylines that are a good read in some of those. Luckily I was out of comics from 1993-2000 so I missed some real low points in many marvel series. Im not sure of DC during this period though.

Too true, but that "NM" of 15 years ago is being strictly graded today as a vf-.... Grading standards have really notched up, and I have to say I love it. Much less person_without_enough_empathying about grade...

Of course, $1500 for even a vf- FF1 looks pretty dandy now doesn't it!!!???

First off, get yourself the latest Wizard Magazine. Then go to the TOP 10 comics before the price guide - go out and by ten of each of those and get them slabbed immediately.

then comb the price guide page by page and find all the yellow highlighted items. Buy 5 copies each of those. When you sell the prior slabbed Top 10 book copies, then you'll have funds to get this second batch of books graded.

This is the ONLY WAY to collect comics...anyone tells you different is from the Silver Age....If you want to collect comics, this hobby is not for wussy boys...HARDCORE Collecting is the only way to go...prove it by going out on ebay and sniping evry CGC 9.8 or higher book that you find! Then turn around and post it with a crazy high reserve, at least twice what you paid for it...you are guaranteed to sell it because there are those collectors with more money than Bill Gates who will bid on your items because they emit that certain aura, that je-ne-sais-quoi that sets your comics apart form the rest of these other lowly non-graded book sellers....a pox on them all....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dan,

Back in 1985, u would have had to deliver a heck of a lot of newspapers to come up w/ $1,500 for FF #1 or say $1k for ASM #1 vf-. Else trade in your run of X-men 94 up, Hulk 181, laugh.gif & set of Howard Duck to come up w/ the scratch.

He he!! smile.gif Too true, I was a little young to afford an FF #1 back then...

No way am I getting rid of my Hulk 181, even though it's only 8.5, frown.gif but I have been thinking about selling a couple of books to buy an FF 1. We'll see. I hate to ask how many you've owned over the years? Do you have one now?

Cheers,

Dan

Get to know the hobby through this board. Check out boards all over the net. www.marvel.com is really fun. Read: Wizard, Comic Buyers Guide, Toyfare

Start slow and cheap when starting off, even if you have a lot of money to play with. Some things have to be learned the hard way despite tons of advice and better you experinece the bad side of the hobby and eBay with a low dollar purchase. When you have cruised around and bought and transacted enough to develop a trustworthy network and good feel for who provides quality goods, then you may be better off sinking your big bucks then.

Share your comic passion for reading with the younger generation. I love reading Archie and Disney to little kids; for every age and level of maturity, there is an appropriate genre of comic book out there.

Attend conventions, talk to other collectors, dealers, make connections, joke around...socialize. Comic book collectors have developed a stigma in general society due to a biased incorrect attitude of persecution levied on them by social elitists.

eBay is not the only source on the net for comic books - although it is arguably the best and most diversified source for comics. Check into all these internet storefronts...maybe you find a nice subscription discount or deal