• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can 9.8's have bindery tears?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

a tear ( I would so say no), but this is more along the lines of a bindery defect which I have seen acceptable in more then one description of a 9.8. I think it certainly displays a lot of the qualities a 9.8 book would display. Sharp corners, tight spine, conserved... 27_laughing.gif kidding on the last one poke2.gif

Yes. There are allowed defects in 9.8...small bindery tears, printer (ie. greggy nutsack) creases etc. 9.8 is the cutoff for those type of defects.

Of course size does matter....a 1" bindery tear may have a bit of trouble getting a 9.8, but if we're talking a 1mm bt at the spine edge, no problem.

R.

Bindery tears are my pet peeve! CGC is way too lenient with bindery tears. (Especially for Golden Age!) I have seen huge tears at the corners of GA books that still got 9.4s CGC's explanation, "bindery tears"...? How do they know a reader didn't cause this tear 50 years ago? I think bindery tears on GA books are part of the aging process, and they should be graded accordingly.

Bindery tears are my pet peeve! CGC is way too lenient with bindery tears. (Especially for Golden Age!) I have seen huge tears at the corners of GA books that still got 9.4s CGC's explanation, "bindery tears"...? How do they know a reader didn't cause this tear 50 years ago? I think bindery tears on GA books are part of the aging process, and they should be graded accordingly.

agreed

Amen on the tears...

a Tear is a Tear is a Tear

how does CGC know that it happened at the bindery?

Consistency is all we want...

..but not consistently wrong in the evaluation of a tear

Overstreet is dead wrong on this issue...

just another way of the Gemstonians propping up those

with the most money invested in the hobby (dealers)

think I'll go snip a "bindery" tear in some of my high grade issues

to insure a 9.8

Not sure if i agree with you. After reading comics for over 30 years, I can't see a tear happen at the bottom of the spine that looks like a bindery tear. Bindery tears seem to look like they are on an angle while spine splits happen vertically from use. I could be wrong, but if i am then show me and i will admit it.

BTW, show me your manufactured 9.8's... poke2.gif

agreed

I agree as well.

I just saw a nice GA book graded 9.4 last week with a big ol' bindery tear on the top left corner... (Not like the little ones your see on BA books.) If the bindery tear is simply a product of the production, why do the GA books always have way bigger tears than the BA books? Before CGC, a bindery tear made a nice NM book into a VF-... CGC needs to reevaluate their criteria for this. It's not a phenomenon- it's just wear!

I was wondering how long it would take before this book hit the market as a 9.8

I'd have to confirm with the previous owner, but I can almost guarantee that this book was a 9.6 previously.

How do I know? Because Matt bought the 9.6 from my booth in Toronto.

Man that will be one good flip. A 9.6 gets about 200 greenies and the 9.8 may bring five times that.

And some.....a #131 9.8 once sold for $3,300. The last sale was the lowest price yet, and even that was $1,725. 893whatthe.gif