• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

Awesome book Adam! Sultan is one of the best Golden Age cover artists. Because he did not work for any of the well known publishers, his work is relatively unknown and underappreciated. The condition of your high grade copy is really something.

Here is my favorite Chesler cover, Punch Comics # 20. It is a GGA masterpiece: from the anatomically detailed lines of Rocket Girl, to the screaming women dangling from the claws of the monstrous bird (a la Silver Streak 6), some of whom are bare-breasted! I cannot imagine how they got away with this for a children's comic book.

1411057-Punch20%28MH%29%283%29.jpg

1411057-Punch20(MH)(3).jpg.02f6a859e73d210d9898f132c2815d5c.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

The Punch 20 cover was done by an artist named Paul Gattuso, who drew some really wild covers. For example, the gory cover to Punch 19 is one of Gattuso's more gruesome works. It depicts huge, blood-drenched claws poised above piles of corpses that are laying in pools of their own blood. I don't have a copy, but if anyone else does, please post it.

RHG

The Punch 20 cover was done by an artist named Paul Gattuso, who drew some really wild covers. For example, the gory cover to Punch 19 is one of Gattuso's more gruesome works. It depicts huge, blood-drenched claws poised above piles of corpses that are laying in pools of their own blood. I don't have a copy, but if anyone else does, please post it.

RHG

1412433-Punch19.jpg

1412433-Punch19.jpg.9d79c894a88343760c8cb71603c4ae66.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

I got a bunch of them, which i will get to posting....covers by Sultan, Tuska, Gus Ricca and even one by Raboy....some interesting books....

Let me re-phrase that....

A set is very difficult to complete for most people, but not for Jon Berk smile.gif

RHG

The guy who owns the local italian beef/hotdog place I frequent is named Paul Gattuso. I wonder if he is related. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't believe this thread isn't getting more traffic. Have you looked at these covers folks? The first one posted by Adamstrange is a classic that can hold up to Lou Fine's Hit #5 any day.

Maybe they are so uncommon that they just haven't hit anyone's radar yet.

Eh. I've heard that argument but disagree completely. Doesn't have the same magic is you ask me. Some of the other covers on this thread though are jawdropping... yay.gif

I loooove that Dynamic 20 of yours smile.gif