• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,762 posts in this topic

Wow! Sweet copy! Was there a Church copy of #13, to your knowledge? What about any other pedigree copies?

There is a Church copy of #13, which is around vf condition. The only other pedigree copy of New Adventure #13 is the Lost Valley copy, which was graded by CGC (somewhat liberally) as a 7.0. Jon Berk has a nice copy, but I don't believe that it is a pedigree.

Wow! Sweet copy! Was there a Church copy of #13, to your knowledge? What about any other pedigree copies?

There is a Church copy of #13, which is around vf condition.

Odd ... the original Church catalog has NA #13 listed as a "VG."

Then again, the #14 is graded as a "Fine," which would make the copy you posted one of the nicest "fine"s on the face of the planet!

Odd ... the original Church catalog has NA #13 listed as a "VG."

Then again, the #14 is graded as a "Fine," which would make the copy you posted one of the nicest "fine"s on the face of the planet!

Actually, there were two Church copies of New Adventure #14, a fine and a NM+. I own the latter.

Unfortunately, I do not own the Church #13. My comment on its grade is based on the grade Ernie Gerber gave it when he was selling it in the 90's, which was vf-, IIRC.

Edited by RareHighGrade

If folks want to see more of the New Comics humor covers, let me know (I have most of them). Otherwise, I will move on to some of the Flessel covers. Here is Flessel's first cover for the Adventure line, which precedes his earliest More Fun cover by almost a year. New Adventure #15 (Church copy):

1412884-newadv.15%28mh%29%282%29.jpg

1412884-newadv.15(mh)(2).jpg.a8911b1400e7696fb62fc463ef0a1dd2.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

If folks want to see more of the New Comics humor covers, let me know (I have most of them). Otherwise, I will move on to some of the Flessel covers. Here is Flessel's first cover for the Adventure line, which precedes his earliest More Fun cover by almost a year. New Adventure #15 (Church copy):

1412884-newadv.15%28mh%29%282%29.jpg

Beautiful! That's a very scarce issue, and underrated as well. I like NA #15's cover better than I do some of Flessel's other "kids adventuring" covers in the early #20's.

Here's New Adventure #30, another example of Flessel drawing the ocean. I'm normally not very grade conscious, but I definitely want to upgrade this one. The rat chews in the bottom corner are something. Great cover, though.

adventure30.jpg

If folks want to see more of the New Comics humor covers, let me know (I have most of them). Otherwise, I will move on to some of the Flessel covers.

I am reminded of the line by the Caribbean woman at the end of the movie "Trading Places," who, when asked by Coleman whether she wants the lobster or the cracked crab for lunch, replied, "Can't we have both?" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Also, do you have a #40?

If folks want to see more of the New Comics humor covers, let me know (I have most of them). Otherwise, I will move on to some of the Flessel covers.

I am reminded of the line by the Caribbean woman at the end of the movie "Trading Places," who, when asked by Coleman whether she wants the lobster or the cracked crab for lunch, replied, "Can't we have both?" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Also, do you have a #40?

I bet it'll be dwarfed by RHG's #40, but here's mine:

Adventure%2040a%20Front.jpg

One of my few slabbed books. Blue label 5.0.

Also, do you have a #40?

(image snipped)

hail.gif

One of my few slabbed books.

Crack it. Crack it ... unless you break my heart and tell me you have another reading copy?

Actually, I'm keeping it slabbed for now because of the long tear in the bottom right corner (which brings the grade down to a 5.0; the book is gorgeous otherwise). I feel as though the slab is keeping the tear from getting larger, and given that I handle my books quite a bit (see any Chicago forum dinner), I can't be trusted with not exacerbating it.

Wowzers Win, I can't compete with that...very nice presentation (I'd love to see that copy out of its tomb!).

May I ask if it's a small or large logo label, and what is the page quality?

STEVE Got Larson?

Wowzers Win, I can't compete with that...very nice presentation (I'd love to see that copy out of its tomb!).

May I ask if it's a small or large logo label, and what is the page quality?

STEVE Got Larson?

Small logo (old label), cream to off-white pages. Label also notes "very minor amount of glue on cover", so technically it's one of those restored blue label books. I've been unable to spot the glue through the slab, but I'm not surprised by that (I imagine it could be at the spot of the bottom corner tear for conservation, but I can't see it). Although I'm a Centaur guy according to my user name, I'm a big fan of this book and obviously took my avatar from it.

Also, do you have a #40?

Centaurman, that is one beautiful book, and it won't be eclipsed by my copy since I don't own one. Back when I was actively looking for a #40, I couldn't find one in the grade I wanted. Now, the book has become so valuable in high grade that it is cost prohibitive to buy one.

RHG

I forget who did the cover; was it Flessel or O'Mealia? Looks like Flessel but I thought he usually signed his work.

That has been a definite point of contention in the past. There was a thread about it somewhere in this section. If I remember correctly, the final consensus was that it was indeed Flessel. I will see if I can dig up the thread.