• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,762 posts in this topic

Again, I don't have a lot of mine scanned yet, but here are a few. I absolutely LOVE this run of covers. I consider these books to be the pinnacle of the early Golden Age.

adventure24.jpg

Win that is a beautiful #24. The pages look bone white. Is it a pedigree?

Lovely book, Win - did you happen to purchase it within the last few years (from Motor City, perhaps)?

STEVE Got Larson?

Again, I don't have a lot of mine scanned yet, but here are a few. I absolutely LOVE this run of covers. I consider these books to be the pinnacle of the early Golden Age.

Win that is a beautiful #24. The pages look bone white. Is it a pedigree?

Lovely book, Win - did you happen to purchase it within the last few years (from Motor City, perhaps)?

STEVE Got Larson?

You know, my records are woefully inadequate, but I suspect you're correct. I'm sure I bought it in 2004, not sure from whom, but it was at the Chicago Con (which could've easily been Motor City). Do you know the book?

Wow! I've never seen the NA #24 before! Gorgeous looking copy, and really cements Flessel as one of the best artists that has worked in comics! 893applaud-thumb.gif

God, I totally agree. I've never seen it either and it's outrageously good. The only thing is I kept looking over the image expecting to find some guys shooting at them somewhere. Guess I've been seeing too many busy Timely covers lately.

Marc

I can only play this game once. I'm now out of ammunition.

Well that's one heck of a single shot, jkrk. Regretably, I sold my copy (a glossy Fine with white pages) to Billy "Lost in Space" Mumy many years ago for the princely sum of $500. doh!

Do you know the book?

Perhaps - at San Diego several years ago, Goldman may have had that same book. It had great pages, but a small split seal so I foolishly passed on it when he wouldn't adjust the price. Look at the pages carefully for a few check marks - I thought it was the Cosmic Aeroplane copy.

Note: I don't own any New Adventure books, but would certainly like to.

STEVE Got Larson?

Edited by sacentaur

Do you know the book?

Perhaps - at San Diego several years ago, Goldman may have had that same book. It had great pages, but a small split seal so I foolishly passed on it when he wouldn't adjust the price. Look at the pages carefully for a few check marks - I thought it was the Cosmic Aeroplane copy.

Wow, that would be cool. I don't have any books from that pedigree.

Hey Andy, you mind looking in my NA #24 and seeing whether it's got any distinctive markings?

To keep the thread going, here's another early Flessel, New Adventure #28:

adventure28.jpg

I love the racial diversity, and I always find myself staring at the guy looking towards us in the bottom corner.

Here's another hard-to-find issue, New Adventure #29:

adventure29.jpg

It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.

If I could have a full run of any title from any publisher, not considering the monetary value of having full Action or Detective runs, I'd take New/ New Adventure/ Adventure Comics. Even without the precursor titles, I'd probably still choose Adventure. Great covers and great variety in the contents. Even during the mediocre years of the late 70s to early 80s, it kept up the variety because it was either an anthology or couldn't hold on to a feature -- then faded out with those nifty little digests that have a strange appeal. (Probably some people here don't count those as comic books.)

I'm enjoying the wonderful scans of high-grade copies!

Jack

It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.

Yep, I have to agree with you on that. It was a series on par with Detective and Action. Truly a sad day when the last issue hit the presses. To me, the best covers(Mostly Flessels) are those that reflect the name...Adventures. Though, #16 is kinda cool too.

Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:

I've never even seen a copy of NA #14 before. How hard is that to find compared to #13, which I think may be the toughest of them all?

If I could have a full run of any title from any publisher, not considering the monetary value of having full Action or Detective runs, I'd take New/ New Adventure/ Adventure Comics. Even without the precursor titles, I'd probably still choose Adventure. Great covers and great variety in the contents. Even during the mediocre years of the late 70s to early 80s, it kept up the variety because it was either an anthology or couldn't hold on to a feature -- then faded out with those nifty little digests that have a strange appeal. (Probably some people here don't count those as comic books.)

I'm enjoying the wonderful scans of high-grade copies!

Jack

I agree - Those GA Hourman/Starman/Sandman covers have a bygone era feel that Action and Detective can't quite match due to perenial popularity of Batman and Superman (Plus S&K covers!). The shear variety of cover features makes the title more interesting.

The reason Flessel pre-hero Adventures sell for less than his Detectives is because Batman never took over the title.

Collectors seek continuity, even if it's just on the logo.

Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:

I've never even seen a copy of NA #14 before. How hard is that to find compared to #13, which I think may be the toughest of them all?

Given that I have a New Adventure #14, I have a New Comics #2, and I have a bead on a New Adventure #26, but have no idea where to go about finding a NA #13....I'd say the #13 is just stupid rare.

Could not agree more! thumbsup2.gif