Page 4 of 133 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#1381403 - 09/25/06 03:05 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: FFB]
CentaurMan Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Chicago
Here's another hard-to-find issue, New Adventure #29:

It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.

#1381404 - 09/25/06 03:36 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: jkrk]
topofthetotem Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The land of Canada
Quote:

I can only play this game once.

I'm now out of ammunition.

But you fired one hell of a shot.

Topofthetotem's feedback thread

#1381405 - 09/25/06 03:47 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
selegue Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Stone Age
If I could have a full run of any title from any publisher, not considering the monetary value of having full Action or Detective runs, I'd take New/ New Adventure/ Adventure Comics. Even without the precursor titles, I'd probably still choose Adventure. Great covers and great variety in the contents. Even during the mediocre years of the late 70s to early 80s, it kept up the variety because it was either an anthology or couldn't hold on to a feature -- then faded out with those nifty little digests that have a strange appeal. (Probably some people here don't count those as comic books.)
I'm enjoying the wonderful scans of high-grade copies!
Jack

Quote:

It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.

#1381406 - 09/25/06 04:35 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: selegue]
Timulty Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Iola, KS
Yep, I have to agree with you on that. It was a series on par with Detective and Action. Truly a sad day when the last issue hit the presses. To me, the best covers(Mostly Flessels) are those that reflect the name...Adventures. Though, #16 is kinda cool too.

#1381407 - 09/25/06 04:37 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: Timulty]
CentaurMan Offline
Chatzilla

Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:

#1381408 - 09/25/06 05:47 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
FFB Offline

At long last I feel regular.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:

I've never even seen a copy of NA #14 before. How hard is that to find compared to #13, which I think may be the toughest of them all?

#1381409 - 09/25/06 05:53 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: selegue]
rjpb Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Socal
Quote:

If I could have a full run of any title from any publisher, not considering the monetary value of having full Action or Detective runs, I'd take New/ New Adventure/ Adventure Comics. Even without the precursor titles, I'd probably still choose Adventure. Great covers and great variety in the contents. Even during the mediocre years of the late 70s to early 80s, it kept up the variety because it was either an anthology or couldn't hold on to a feature -- then faded out with those nifty little digests that have a strange appeal. (Probably some people here don't count those as comic books.)
I'm enjoying the wonderful scans of high-grade copies!
Jack

Quote:

I agree - Those GA Hourman/Starman/Sandman covers have a bygone era feel that Action and Detective can't quite match due to perenial popularity of Batman and Superman (Plus S&K covers!). The shear variety of cover features makes the title more interesting.

The reason Flessel pre-hero Adventures sell for less than his Detectives is because Batman never took over the title.
Collectors seek continuity, even if it's just on the logo.

#1381410 - 09/25/06 05:54 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: FFB]
CentaurMan Offline
Chatzilla

Quote:

Quote:

I've never even seen a copy of NA #14 before. How hard is that to find compared to #13, which I think may be the toughest of them all?

Given that I have a New Adventure #14, I have a New Comics #2, and I have a bead on a New Adventure #26, but have no idea where to go about finding a NA #13....I'd say the #13 is just stupid rare.

#1381411 - 09/25/06 11:35 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
RareHighGrade Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Here is the Church copy of no. 14:

Attachments
1412438-NewAdv.14(MH)(2).JPG (125 downloads)
Description:

Edited by RareHighGrade (09/25/06 11:36 PM)

#1381412 - 09/25/06 11:41 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
Quote:

Could not agree more!

Page 4 of 133 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH - many items, classic, modern, bullion; need to sell, please make offers! :)
by Epiphyte Coins
21 minutes 12 seconds ago
FS: 20 1964 Canadian Silver Dollars.
by agentjim007
Today at 09:44 PM
coins for sale the first of many to come
by wmfielding
Today at 06:23 PM
World Coins for Sale / Updated: 30 July 2014
by brg5658
Today at 01:16 PM
Comics Marketplace
Hulk 181 9.2 OWW & Spidey 100, 102 9.2 WP
by ComicMonster
10 minutes 36 seconds ago
Lot of 9 McFarlane ASM's all newsstands but one $36 for the lot
by cgcworld
Today at 10:05 PM
Spider-Man vs Wolverine #1 NM / 1st print one shot / 1987 1st $20 Takes it SOLD
by faster friends
Today at 09:38 PM
Strange Tales #178-181 & Warlock #2-15 / Jim Starlin, Gil Kane - Thanos 1972-76
by faster friends
Today at 09:30 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum