Page 4 of 133 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#1381403 - 09/25/06 03:05 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: FFB]
CentaurMan Offline
Chatzilla


Registered: 01/07/04
Posts: 2031
Loc: Chicago
Here's another hard-to-find issue, New Adventure #29:



It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.

Top
Share
#1381404 - 09/25/06 03:36 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: jkrk]
topofthetotem Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 07/07/05
Posts: 12396
Loc: The land of Canada
Quote:

I can only play this game once.



I'm now out of ammunition.



But you fired one hell of a shot.
_________________________


Topofthetotem's feedback thread



Top
#1381405 - 09/25/06 03:47 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
selegue Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 07/06/05
Posts: 8476
Loc: Stone Age
If I could have a full run of any title from any publisher, not considering the monetary value of having full Action or Detective runs, I'd take New/ New Adventure/ Adventure Comics. Even without the precursor titles, I'd probably still choose Adventure. Great covers and great variety in the contents. Even during the mediocre years of the late 70s to early 80s, it kept up the variety because it was either an anthology or couldn't hold on to a feature -- then faded out with those nifty little digests that have a strange appeal. (Probably some people here don't count those as comic books.)
I'm enjoying the wonderful scans of high-grade copies!
Jack

Quote:



It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.



_________________________
Visit the Periodic Table of Comic Books
http://www.uky.edu/Projects/Chemcomics/

Top
#1381406 - 09/25/06 04:35 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: selegue]
Timulty Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 08/05/05
Posts: 12360
Loc: Iola, KS
Yep, I have to agree with you on that. It was a series on par with Detective and Action. Truly a sad day when the last issue hit the presses. To me, the best covers(Mostly Flessels) are those that reflect the name...Adventures. Though, #16 is kinda cool too.
_________________________
And this is why I like guy in the Red Pajamas!!!--TMJ



Top
#1381407 - 09/25/06 04:37 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: Timulty]
CentaurMan Offline
Chatzilla


Registered: 01/07/04
Posts: 2031
Loc: Chicago
Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:



Top
#1381408 - 09/25/06 05:47 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
FFB Offline

At long last I feel regular.

TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 02/03/04
Posts: 20704
Quote:

Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:






I've never even seen a copy of NA #14 before. How hard is that to find compared to #13, which I think may be the toughest of them all?

Top
#1381409 - 09/25/06 05:53 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: selegue]
rjpb Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 01/24/04
Posts: 12748
Loc: Socal
Quote:

If I could have a full run of any title from any publisher, not considering the monetary value of having full Action or Detective runs, I'd take New/ New Adventure/ Adventure Comics. Even without the precursor titles, I'd probably still choose Adventure. Great covers and great variety in the contents. Even during the mediocre years of the late 70s to early 80s, it kept up the variety because it was either an anthology or couldn't hold on to a feature -- then faded out with those nifty little digests that have a strange appeal. (Probably some people here don't count those as comic books.)
I'm enjoying the wonderful scans of high-grade copies!
Jack

Quote:



It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.







I agree - Those GA Hourman/Starman/Sandman covers have a bygone era feel that Action and Detective can't quite match due to perenial popularity of Batman and Superman (Plus S&K covers!). The shear variety of cover features makes the title more interesting.

The reason Flessel pre-hero Adventures sell for less than his Detectives is because Batman never took over the title.
Collectors seek continuity, even if it's just on the logo.

Top
#1381410 - 09/25/06 05:54 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: FFB]
CentaurMan Offline
Chatzilla


Registered: 01/07/04
Posts: 2031
Loc: Chicago
Quote:

Quote:

Here's an obscure one more in keeping with the Ellsworth humor covers of New Comics 1-12, New Adventure #14:






I've never even seen a copy of NA #14 before. How hard is that to find compared to #13, which I think may be the toughest of them all?




Given that I have a New Adventure #14, I have a New Comics #2, and I have a bead on a New Adventure #26, but have no idea where to go about finding a NA #13....I'd say the #13 is just stupid rare.

Top
#1381411 - 09/25/06 11:35 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
RareHighGrade Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?


Registered: 06/09/03
Posts: 1824
Here is the Church copy of no. 14:




Attachments
1412438-NewAdv.14(MH)(2).JPG (125 downloads)
Description:




Edited by RareHighGrade (09/25/06 11:36 PM)

Top
#1381412 - 09/25/06 11:41 PM Re: Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics [Re: CentaurMan]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 12/04/03
Posts: 37535
Loc: Hong Kong
Quote:

It's funny, the Flessel covers for pre-Batman Detective Comics are widely known as classics and are in heavy demand. Yet I believe his work on the pre-Sandman Adventure Comics is equally impressive, maybe even more exciting due to the broad range of subject matter (Flessel stuck to the "Detective" vs. "Adventure" themes very nicely). But for some reason, these early Adventures don't sell for the same premiums as the early Detectives.

I think they're a good bit scarcer, which is part of the problem. People don't even know of them except as a vague run.



Could not agree more!

Top
Page 4 of 133 « First<23456>Last »


Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.



Search
The Money Marketplace
WTB - Beautifully Toned 1964 MS Lincoln Cent
by mikew148
Today at 12:50 AM
CAC 1795 Half Dime & Dollar! GOLD! 1877 $20 NGC AU58, $50 Buffalos, Baseball Unc
by AnkurJ
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
My 19th century listings at Great Collections - silver and gold.....
by Hard Times
Yesterday at 08:33 PM
More of my 7070 Type and Variety coins at GreatCollections
by oih82w8
Yesterday at 05:30 PM
Comics Marketplace
john buscema - "raiders of the lost ark" on ebay. trade offers accepted.
by msr
Today at 02:39 AM
Captain America - Silver Bronze Sale
by Scturo
Today at 01:28 AM
5 CGC Graded Comics on current ComicConnect Event Auction.
by Taro90
Today at 01:09 AM
ebay 1c NR - Dwyer Cap splash, Maguire FF, Bronze DC Horror, JSC, Mignola Hellbo
by malvin
Today at 01:01 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles