• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,853 posts in this topic

Paul,

My pleasure. You won't have to wait long to see some of the Pac Coast Strange Tales as I'm whipping out the first box today and I'm going to email Frederic the scans later on. Hopefully he can post them sometime tonight. I haven't had the chance to look at these books in a couple of months and this gives me the chance to do that. I'm like a kid in a candy store every time I can pour through these kiler books!

Nice pickups on the Bostons, Paul. I have a few Boston Strange Tales and they are all killer. That is a great collection and still somewhat underrated in my mind.

I still can't figure out how and why these early Marvel gems (Strange Tales) with FF covers and appearances are still so dirt cheap in the Guide. I guess paying multiples for high grade CGC ST's doesn't make one flinch as these books are definitely worth many times the Overstreet price.

Doug

Bronty,

No, I believe the PC ST run started with #101. There are a few pre-hero Pac Coasts, but only TOS's (37 9.2 and 38 9.6). I don't know of any others.

Thanks for asking. If anyone knows of any others that would be great. The collection seems to start around 10-11/62 (ST 101, FF 8) and then you see full runs atarting thereafter (Incredible Hulk #5, TTA #39, JIM #89). So, I don't think there would be any pre-hero books prior to ST 101 or JIM 83, etc.

Doug

Ros,

The 103 I got from a private collector in a big trade back in early 2004 (he actually got my 9.6 White Mountain copy and i'm still kicking myself for letting that go). I did get a book I had wanted in that trade but giving up a 9.6 ST #103 hurts (in any language, etc.). One of the "ones that got away" but I have a nice 9.4 and I'm not going to lose any more sleep over it (didn't get much for that calendar year!!).

The #108 I got from a dealer a bunch of years ago, probably in 2003. Definitely the nicest copy I have ever seen. I've always loved that cover too. If my memory serves me correctly (it usually does), I got it as part of a larger deal and it was "only" a 9.4 but I could not believe how perfect it looked and I immediately resubmitted it. Sure enough, it came back a 9.6, off-white/white pages!! I had a killer PC copy that was undergraded (shown in this thread) It received a 9.2 but it's a 9.4 in my mind. That book is gorgeous!!

Thanks, Ros. I have to admit that reminiscing about this stuff is as much a part of collecting for me as having the books themselves.

Doug

Ros,

That Winnipeg 104 is nicer than a 9.2. CGC deducts about a quarter grade or so for the original owner (Dennis Kjolso) penning his name in ink at the top of the cover. That's a 9.4 (at leat). I bought the early SA Winnipegs and they were severely undergraded by the CGC. I remember that 104 and its killer!

Doug