• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best tape for Mylites?

71 posts in this topic

I used to use scotch but now going to the little sticky color dots that you use for yard sale pricing. They remove real easy and are less likely to stick to comics like tape.

What should I use? I have bagged and boarded several hundred books and have held off on taping until I get the right stuff. Thanks

Personally, I use the green Scotch "invisible tape" that is commonly bought for wrapping Christmas presents.

magic tape

I always place the comic in the bag so the flap is on the bottom. When I place the comic in the box, it always folds the mylite correctly, no bent corners on the bag. It gives a nice appearance on the top of the box too.

Edited by jokersrevenge

I use scotch brand magic tape, in the green roll pack.... and here's a great tip I picked up.

When you put the tape on, attach ONE piece of magic tape about an inch and a half long onto the flap first, with half overlapping. Then, on the end that will attach to the back of the bag, fold the end of the tap in on itself by 1/4" or so. This way, you will almost NEVER get a tape bull.

Also, I put my tape on at a bit of an angle, not straight up and down. That way, I can peel it off the back of the bag much easier.

All this said, I'm ditching my mylite and backing board slipped into a 4 mil mylar for straight up 4 mil mylar on fullbacks.

Shep

Magic tape is good, but repeated removal leaves a bit of tape residue on the bag. I may switch over to the "sticky color dots" pirate mentions above as they seem to be easier to put on/take off.

I also recommend fullbacks, but don't quite get the idea of using only an open top 4-mil Mylar as the top is open (duh?) to the atmosphere/elements/bugs? I've never seen books fit real snugly in those as the fit is tight at the bottom, but looser at the top, making the books appear a bit prone to twisting/warping. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow, so many suggestions for tape. 27_laughing.gif You guys are nerds.

I just use regular scotch tape. I tape the flap down with the tape horizontal, so that you just "break the seal" to avoid tape damage to a comic. Then just put another piece of tape to reseal on top of the old tape.

I use scotch brand magic tape, in the green roll pack.... and here's a great tip I picked up.

When you put the tape on, attach ONE piece of magic tape about an inch and a half long onto the flap first, with half overlapping. Then, on the end that will attach to the back of the bag, fold the end of the tap in on itself by 1/4" or so. This way, you will almost NEVER get a tape bull.

That's exactly how i proceed thumbsup2.gif

Magic tape is good, but repeated removal leaves a bit of tape residue on the bag. I may switch over to the "sticky color dots" pirate mentions above as they seem to be easier to put on/take off.

Draft dots.

Draft dots are good too, but the post-its are better. grin.gif

I can't understand why there are still people that just don't completely remove the tape from the bag to open it.

If you need to make a quick look through on the book remove the tape completely, stick it to the side edge of the bag overhanging and when you're done reuse that piece.

I personally just use plain old scotch "magic" tape, the wide kind though.