Page 11 of 22 « First<910111213>Last »
Topic Options
#1141067 - 04/01/06 07:46 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: selegue]
CW Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: S.F.
Thanks. I will try the PH paper. I have the Hygrometer and dehumidifier.

Check out my art collection in CW's CAF Gallery

#1141068 - 04/01/06 10:11 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
divad Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: bolinas lagoon
WAY beyond cleaning . . .

Quote:

Top Staple... this is very painful to observe

#1141069 - 04/02/06 01:09 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
LVCE Offline
Hobbyist

Loc: Las Vegas
Is the safe you used the same one that Costco sells? If so, I need to check on my safes full of CGC books!

#1141070 - 04/02/06 01:14 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
LVCE Offline
Hobbyist

Loc: Las Vegas
Quote:

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! It looks like the equivalent of Cancer for comic books!

#1141071 - 04/02/06 05:44 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: sborock]
Mr. Zipper Offline

If every thread and post that was self-referential to Board protocol, politics, history and/or monkey-business disappeared, how many would be left?
-- from the book "Solipsistic Proof that the Boards are All"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Upstate NY
Thanks to Steve and Bruce for sharing this alarming information. After the first several posts I couldn't get to my safe fast enough. Apparently, my books look okay, but my heart goes out to Bruce.

Were the safes in question all METAL safes?

I've been using a Brinks molded safe for years similar to the safe on the right pictured below. I think I bought it at Wal-Mart. (I've found that a legal hanging file folder sized safe turned on it's side is the perfect fit for comics.)

On very close inspection, I found a bit of corrosion on the screws that secure the locking mechanism (on the outside of the safe). I can't help but wonder if materials inside the safe are offgassing through these screw holes and corroding the screws. Perhaps because the interior of the safe is solid plastic with no seams, the contents inside the safe were spared from the corrosive offgassing.

I've removed all my books in light of this info, but I am curious as to whether their could be a difference between the metal safes and the molded safes.

Steve Zarelli Space Authentication

My blog: The Collecting Obsession

Want List:
* Action Comics -- 31, 44, 48, 58, 59, 63, 66, 90 (4.0 - 7.0 range)

#1141072 - 04/02/06 06:30 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
Worldsbestcomics Offline

I have no influence with CGC.

Pedigreed

Loc: No Longer Behind the Number On...
Quote:

I suppose, the Hulk 182 clearly will need the staples replaced to protect the book itself. Even if I do that though, and even if it would end up a green label "qualified" 9.8, I don't imagin it will be worth all that much... maybe not enough to have a professional charge me to put in vintage staples.

plus... it may be too depressing to see it in a green slab. My other option is to replace the staples myself and just throw it on my new spinner rack as a "reader" copy.

Bruce,

Get the 182 restored. It will still be beautiful even in a green label. If it depresses you and you want to find a new home for it, I know a guy...

But, seriously. Attitudes toward professional restoration have changed over the years, and may turn around again in the future. It is too soon to consign your baby to the Spinner Rack.

My CAF sketch cover gallery

#1141073 - 04/02/06 06:49 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
jmg3637 Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Los Angeles
Bruce I am very sorry for your losses. and I want to thank you and Steve for really getting the discussion on this topic going.

I have been reading this thread and just getting sick tinking about it.

I have had my best books in a safe deposit box for years and was only worried about the potential heat and damage from that. Had never even thought about damage from oxidation/rust in there. Next time i go there I will bring a bunch of the silica gel pack with me and put them in for a bit of added safety

I had been thinking about getting a heavy duty fire-resistent file cabinet and bringing them home, but have put any thoughts of that on hold for the time being.

As I was reading this I certainly am thinking that the wet pressing then slabbing is a very likely part of the problem.

#1141074 - 04/02/06 07:04 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
Arty Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Finland
Quote:

Quite incredible. That staple is worse than any staple I have ever seen before. Looks like it has been in a salt bath for years. No way this was caused only by humidity.

You should buy two hygrometers and test outside and inside humidity of the safe simultaneously. Put a couple of iron items inside safe to see what happens. Maybe a small plate abraded with a sand paper to maximize surface area.

And finally, this is very important: If there is metal left under that crust, do not get those staples replaced. Cleaned: yes, but not replaced. e

#1141075 - 04/02/06 09:20 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Mr. Zipper]
binarysunrise Offline
Chatzilla

Quote:

Perhaps because the interior of the safe is solid plastic with no seams, the contents inside the safe were spared from the corrosive offgassing.

Um, isn't plastic (at least among conservation people) one of the worst things to store in due to the offgassing of the *plastic*? Though I guess some plastic/pvc is worse than others...(otherwise why would CGC encapulate comics in plastic....)

The Speeding Bullet
http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--

#1141076 - 04/02/06 09:58 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: jmg3637]
FFB Offline

At long last I feel regular.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

As I was reading this I certainly am thinking that the wet pressing then slabbing is a very likely part of the problem.

Not likely, or you'd see it happening on all the books that we've seen in the resub upgrade database.

Page 11 of 22 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, Harshen, Scott_Schechter, dena, scaffrey, plitch, cgcmod4, CCGmod0, eerb0803, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Toned Coins - Morgan Dollar and Washington Quarter
by Eric Hazen
01:16 AM
FS: 1909-S VDB NGC MS63RB
by agentjim007
12:30 AM
1943-S 50C Liberty Half Dollar MS67 Star NGC POP 1 NONE BETTER
by Paul Kiraly 3
11:33 AM
2014 Gold Kennedys Early Releases $1480 for 70s
by Slayeron
08/26/14 09:28 AM
Comics Marketplace
Superman #76 -CGC 7.5 ow/w & Cap America #3 CGC .5 unrestored! @ Clink Auction!
by RickyBobby
02:35 AM
New slabbed GA horror and sci-fi on ebay
by danmac267
12:42 AM
Comic Pressing, Cleaning & Humidifying Videos for Sale (The Sequel)
by Keysnruns
12:35 AM
Batman #676, Nailbiter #1 Variant, Southern Bastards #1 Variants -All CGC SS 9.8
by WinterSoldier
12:21 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum IDW Publishing