Page 7 of 22 « First<56789>Last »
Topic Options
#1141027 - 04/01/06 03:16 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: tth2]
FFB Offline

At long last I feel regular.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

Quote:

Top Staple... this is very painful to observe

I thought you were talking about FLECKS of rust, which even then would be unusual on such "young" comics. This looks like some parasitic infection! Man, I am totally bummed for you.

How are the covers? It's hard to believe that much moisture hasn't affected them in some way.

I don't think that's moisture causing that. It looks more like serious corrosion caused by some other chemical in that safe.

#1141028 - 04/01/06 03:17 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: tth2]
BronzeBruce13 Offline

The Bronze Godfather

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Gliese 581D & 667C, HD 10700e
the other 3 only have the start... some grouped flecks. No where near what happened to this one. Its one of the oldest books in the safe

#1141029 - 04/01/06 03:18 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
BronzeBruce13 Offline

The Bronze Godfather

TOTAL NEWBIE

something happend to the first post with this image???

Bottom Staple... if you can stomach it...

Attachments
1174929-Hulk182BottomStaple.jpg (143 downloads)
Description:

#1141030 - 04/01/06 03:24 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: FFB]
BronzeBruce13 Offline

The Bronze Godfather

TOTAL NEWBIE

I agree with you since there is no "other" visible signs of moisture infiltration such as "wavy" pages or other paper damage like foxing, etc.

I have heard that some coin owners (with coins made of precious metals - rust proof) have experienced other reactions (toning issues) within fireproof safes.

Brian is thinking of helping me with this after I learn more information about the chemicals used in my safe. I find it hard to believe that the chemical is not at least a partial culprit if not the primary one.

#1141031 - 04/01/06 04:09 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
scheradon Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Back Home Finally!
Wow Bruce,

This really sucks! I also have a Sentry fire-proof safe, but only the one already damaged comic in it. I had planned to get a larger safe for my slabbed collection, but will now look into it very carefully.

Don't feel bad about not knowing this could happen. Regardless of what some might say, I think there is a very large percentage of us that wouldn't have known it or assumed the relation of guns to staples. I too thought it had more to do with the ammunition.

Heck, I'm racking my brain as I type trying to think if I have anything else potentially at risk in my safe back home.

I hope they can save your books, keep us updated.

#1141032 - 04/01/06 10:26 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
skybolt Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Chicago, IL
Bruce, not that it would've made much of difference, but were your CGC books also bagged on the outside and sealed?

#1141033 - 04/01/06 10:27 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: BronzeBruce13]
aman619 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

something happend to the first post with this image???

Bottom Staple... if you can stomach it...

wow... that is such a scary image!. ouch. Its like a horror movie where we see the staple actually being eaten alive......

#1141034 - 04/01/06 10:33 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: aman619]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Anytime/Anywhere
This can't be the first, or second time judging by Steve's post, this has occurred. Collectors have been putting their comics in safes for decades. Why didn't this problem become evident when collectors were storing their comics in safes without slabs?

Could it be some harmful process occurs with the interaction of the safe and slabs together?

Jim

www.awe4one.com

"I think I can list 10 people that could leave the boards to make them a peaceful place and you are on that list." - GCCBCO

#1141035 - 04/01/06 10:40 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: awe4one]
aman619 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

thats interesting.......

but maybe its a recent spread of the usually smaller fire-resistant safes for the home that are selling in Home Depot and Staples. Didnt it used to be that buying a safe was a very rare occurance? and only done by companies you had to find in the Yellow Pages? And the buyers were jewelry companies etc??

Id hate to think the slabs are a factor chemically. With the PCS announcement this week, CGC is a good guy again!!!

#1141036 - 04/01/06 10:45 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: aman619]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Anytime/Anywhere
Quote:

thats interesting.......

but maybe its a recent spread of the usually smaller fire-resistant safes for the home that are selling in Home Depot and Staples. Didnt it used to be that buying a safe was a very rare occurance? and only done by companies you had to find in the Yellow Pages? And the buyers were jewelry companies etc??

I've seen those small safes sold in Walmart/Home Depot/etc. since the early 80s.

Jim

www.awe4one.com

"I think I can list 10 people that could leave the boards to make them a peaceful place and you are on that list." - GCCBCO

Page 7 of 22 « First<56789>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, Harshen, Scott_Schechter, dena, scaffrey, plitch, cgcmod4, CCGmod0, eerb0803, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
eBay: 1976 IKE Type 1 MS 65 plus some others NGCs
by Aslpride8
Variety Top-Pop- 1970-D Roosevelt Dime FS-801 DDR- NGC MS67FT
by Deerefan8420
11:37 PM
I"m having a fire sale........
by Raisethis2
10:13 PM
PF70UC COINS FOR SALE MAKE AN OFFER
by wmfielding
02:22 PM
Comics Marketplace
My eBay Item's this week
by Bocce
01:54 AM
Porta Trace Light Box
by Gatchaman
01:19 AM
Marvel Premiere #15 CGC 9.4
by Beige
12:02 AM
Everything - J Scott Campbell
by heymikesays
11:38 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing Aspen Titles