Page 3 of 22 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1140987 - 03/30/06 11:24 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: DARTHDIESEL]
underthebigw Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Somewhere between Boston & NY
Quote:

Thanks for the good info Steve. I'm wondering if the OVERuse of dessicants such as silica gel might in any way possibly be detrimental to current condition of the comic? Probably not, I'd think.

Hey, Darth. You are correct.

Theoretically, silica gel should be conditioned to maintain a desirable RH. Too much silica gel not properly conditioned will not only suck the moisture out of the air, but paper as well. It is not only used for conservation work, but dried flower arrangers use it to completely dry out flowers and plants. The same effect can happen with paper, it's just less noticeable.

By the way, there's not easy way to figure out how to condition silica gel. Instead, there's a great product called Art Sorb that is pre-conditioned. It also costs a small fortune.

#1140988 - 03/30/06 11:25 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: richnerd]
scheradon Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Back Home Finally!
Quote:

Quote:

This may explain what happened to me. I had a 1980 Pittsburg Steelers unopened beer can that I had just stored on my bookshelf for years, then after I got my fireproof safe, I put it in there with some other valuables including one raw comic. As bad luck would have it, I discovered the can possibly due to slight rust along the seam, split slightly open and leaked the contents. My one comic was the only thing to get affected by the leakage. Lessen quickly learned there.

Yes but did you drink rest of the beer??

Oh and go STEELERS!!!

No, but by the time I noticed this had happened the thing was empty and all the beer had evaporated leaving just a circular stain on my comic. The comic was a smaller sized 1950's Science comic. Can't remember the exact title right now, but I don't think it was actually very valuable. The can however is still very presentable with just a slight discoloration along the seem where the leak occurred.

I also did have the paper that came with the safe lining the bottom and the silica packs as well. They may work well in most scenarios, but apparently not beer cans.

Ya, the Steelers were my favorite team as a kid and I still remember the day my Dad got back from a business trip to Pennsylvania and gave me that can. No worries of me drinking it though, I've never drank a beer in my life.

#1140989 - 03/31/06 01:00 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: scheradon]
Buck Biggins Offline

Not the first boardie to ask for a custom title based on a first post somewhere.

Pedigreed

Loc: The Buckeye State
You would think some safe company would have designed a safe for the storage of paper items. Gives me an idea

#1140990 - 03/31/06 08:04 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Buck Biggins]
Timely Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Sarasota, FL
I used a gun safe (Hall Safe Co) to store my Mile Highs for over 12 years and had no problems. It was fire-resistant, not fire-proof. Air was able to escape at a minimal level. I did have a few gel packs in there as well as having the entire room air-conditioned.

West

#1140991 - 03/31/06 11:21 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Timely]
Burntboy Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Penna.
Steve; could you share the manufacturer of the two safes in question??

i PM'd you, as well, in case you'd prefer not to specifically single them out........thanks, Harry.

http://www.tvcomics.com/Sids.html

#1140992 - 03/31/06 11:33 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Timely]
divad Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: bolinas lagoon
Quote:

I used a gun safe (Hall Safe Co) to store my Mile Highs for over 12 years and had no problems. It was fire-resistant, not fire-proof. Air was able to escape at a minimal level. I did have a few gel packs in there as well as having the entire room air-conditioned.

West

My safe is jam-packed with cash, jewels and other treasures I've got no room for comic books

#1140993 - 03/31/06 11:48 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Burntboy]
plitch Moderator Offline
CGC Primary Grader
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: CGC World Headquarters
Quote:

i PM'd you, as well, in case you'd prefer not to specifically single them out........thanks, Harry.

Harry-
Steve is on his way to Seattle today. I assume he has a reason for not releasing the manufacturers name, so I will not release it either. If it was an oversight, I'm sure he'll tell you.

Regardless, just because it is one manufacturer that does not mean that they are the only ones with possibly harmful material on the interior of the safe. Please check your safe's manual or contact the company directly. That is the only way to be certain.

I have to buy a new safe this weekend...

"Your value is established entirely by your ability to render useful service or your capacity to induce others to render such service." -Napoleon Hill

#1140994 - 03/31/06 11:49 AM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: divad]
Burntboy Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Penna.
Quote:

Quote:

West

My safe is jam-packed with cash, jewels and other treasures I've got no room for comic books

My safe is jam-packed with comic books i've got no room for cash, jewels and other treasures

http://www.tvcomics.com/Sids.html

#1140995 - 03/31/06 12:08 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: plitch]
skybolt Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:

Quote:

Harry-
Steve is on his way to Seattle today. I assume he has a reason for not releasing the manufacturers name, so I will not release it either. If it was an oversight, I'm sure he'll tell you.

Regardless, just because it is one manufacturer that does not mean that they are the only ones with possibly harmful material on the interior of the safe. Please check your safe's manual or contact the company directly. That is the only way to be certain.

I have to buy a new safe this weekend...

As I asked Steve earlier, have you heard of any problems with safety deposit boxes that banks use? Thanks.

#1140996 - 03/31/06 12:10 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Burntboy]
divad Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: bolinas lagoon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

West

My safe is jam-packed with comic books i've got no room for cash, jewels and other treasures

I thought you still kept them in your underwear drawer

Page 3 of 22 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, Harshen, Scott_Schechter, dena, scaffrey, plitch, cgcmod4, CCGmod0, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing