Page 2 of 22 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1140977 - 03/30/06 09:34 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Ringfinger]
scheradon Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Back Home Finally!
This may explain what happened to me. I had a 1980 Pittsburg Steelers unopened beer can that I had just stored on my bookshelf for years, then after I got my fireproof safe, I put it in there with some other valuables including one raw comic. As bad luck would have it, I discovered the can possibly due to slight rust along the seam, split slightly open and leaked the contents. My one comic was the only thing to get affected by the leakage. Lessen quickly learned there.

#1140978 - 03/30/06 09:40 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: scheradon]
Ares Offline

FORUM CRIER

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Quote:

This may explain what happened to me. I had a 1980 Pittsburg Steelers unopened beer can that I had just stored on my bookshelf for years, then after I got my fireproof safe, I put it in there with some other valuables including one raw comic. As bad luck would have it, I discovered the can possibly due to slight rust along the seam, split slightly open and leaked the contents. My one comic was the only thing to get affected by the leakage. Lessen quickly learned there.

Its was the Iron man issue where Tony becomes an alcoholic wasnt it

#1140979 - 03/30/06 10:01 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safes [Re: sborock]
skybolt Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Chicago, IL
Steve,

Have any collectors had problems with storing their CGC graded books inside safety deposit boxes at banks?

As far as fire proof safes are concerned, I still remember watching a Judge Wapner People's Court episode where a comic collector was suing the safe manufacturer for the same problem described above. The guy's ASM #1 (among 24 other books) had either stained or had rusted staples because of the moisture within the safe. Since Wapner had no clue about how the comic book's condition had worsened, he dismissed the case and ruled in favor of the safe owner. This episode was at least 15 years ago, but I've always been weary of safes since that day.

#1140980 - 03/30/06 10:04 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: skybolt]
Norinn Radd Offline

Rorinn Nadd

TOTAL NEWBIE

What if you could rig a humidor to be low temperature and low humidity (and low oxygen level)?

[Just a thought I've had for a while.]

#1140981 - 03/30/06 10:35 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: Norinn Radd]
topofthetotem Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The land of Canada
I keep money in my safe! along with a 9mm pistol and a .22 cal snub nose. No rust on them.

Topofthetotem's feedback thread

#1140982 - 03/30/06 10:35 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safes [Re: skybolt]
Forbush-Man Offline

Custom title? I don't need no stinkin' custom title.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 1st EMPEROR !!!!!!
Quote:

As far as fire proof safes are concerned, I still remember watching a Judge Wapner People's Court episode where a comic collector was suing the safe manufacturer for the same problem described above. The guy's ASM #1 (among 24 other books) had either stained or had rusted staples because of the moisture within the safe. Since Wapner had no clue about how the comic book's condition had worsened, he dismissed the case and ruled in favor of the safe owner.

Damn you, Judge Wapner!

EMPIRE COLLECTIBLES
Pulp Magazines, Comic Books & more...

#1140983 - 03/30/06 11:01 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safes [Re: Forbush-Man]
CW Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: S.F.
Quote:

Gun safes don't seem to have this problem. Guns will rust in a heartbeat, especially older guns.

True but your average gun owner knows to keep guns well oiled. This can make all the difference between rust and no rust even in higher humidity. I don't know of any comic collectors who oil the staples of their comics. Well maybe that guy who is selling the X-men #1.(See personal lube thread in general. Insert puking graemlin here)

Check out my art collection in CW's CAF Gallery

#1140984 - 03/30/06 11:04 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safes [Re: sborock]
Wonka Offline
Hobbyist

Steve,
This seems like an obvious solution, but are moisture-absorbing silica packets too easy an answer?
Wonka

#1140985 - 03/30/06 11:06 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: scheradon]
richnerd Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: IN
Quote:

Yes but did you drink rest of the beer??

Oh and go STEELERS!!!

#1140986 - 03/30/06 11:20 PM Re: Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safe [Re: OldGuy]
underthebigw Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Somewhere between Boston & NY
Quote:

hm Gun safes don't seem to have this problem. Guns will rust in a heartbeat, especially older guns.

No worries thought, my comics will burn, burn, burn if my house goes up!

Actually, gun owners can have this problem and it is fairly common to use dessicants, such as silica gel.

Page 2 of 22 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, Harshen, Scott_Schechter, dena, scaffrey, plitch, cgcmod4, CCGmod0, eerb0803, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSHO: Silver Eagles
by bsshog40
08:52 PM
WTB 1936-1942 Proof Washington Quarter with Significant Frost/Contrast
by coinman_23885
01:42 PM
FS - World Coins - 1898 and 1898A French 10 Centimes
by robec1347
01:04 PM
FSH: 1921-S Walker PCGS vf35 CAC, $2650 dlvd
by BAJJERFAN
10:51 AM
Comics Marketplace
Pages for sale..........
by 666
02:45 AM
Major Victory, Whiz, Mystic, The Thing, etc. 15 on eBay
by fifties
01:57 AM
$1.00 AUCTION* TALES OF SUSPENSE #69,71,72,81,82,83,8
5,86,87,88 ENDS 8PM MONDAY

by comicartcom
12:18 AM
$0.99 Auctions! - The Strain #1, Legends #3, X-Factor #6 And More!
by Burg
11:47 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles