• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #608 for over $500!
3 3

454 posts in this topic

Thread from the LAST time you haters talked about this book...

basically this is the RRP edition that was handed out ONLY at the DC retailer summit in Burbank. Only 200 of this, Fables 6 with a special cover and Global Frequency 1 with a special cover were printed.

Oh yeah, that comic will hold its value.

I was thinking the exact same thing. What will be the market value for this comic 10 years down the road? Or heck, once Jim Lee leaves the title as he inevitably will? If anyone really wants a copy, I would wait & buy it later for far less.

This limited print run BS always comes up when modern books sell for crazy prices. This book is a MANUFACTURED COLLETABLE and not collectable in and of itself, there are thousands of regular copies of the same book to be had.

These kind of books never hold their value long term, especially hype ridden ones like this one.

How many Jim Lee books have historically held their value after he has jumped ship?

wait a minute. I'm not going after this book cause I agree that these manufactured collectibles are a joke as long term investments...so dont take the following as proof that Im drinking the Koolaid.....

But--a couple of points.

If there are REALLY only 200 copies, that is a VERY limited edition.

Two--its not like Batman is some minor independent title that will only exist in today's readers memories in years to come like many of the other similar "limited" publisher giveaway alternate cover books.

Three--Jim Lee will leave in a year or whatever---BUT, so did Neal Adams. I think this series' storyline AND the artwork are comparable in the degree that they are BETTER than all the contemporary Batman comics being published. How many of you who are going after 9.4s of classic Bronze Neal Adams' Batmans?? There is every chance that in time, the regular 508s etc will be the only (or best) issues of Batman to collect from this era, just like Adams'. If so, the alternate cover will be the REAL copy to get. (again, IF there are only 200).

So, short term? bad investment at $500-plus. The price will come down,

But long term, at the right price...I could be almost tempted. 200 copies TOTAL of a great comic is far fewer than some of the late 60s Spideys I see sell for $500 to $1000 in 9.6 and it may even be true that not all 200 are in 9.8 shape already. Depends if they were handed out in mylars or loose in a giveaway bag. Anyone know???

I could be almost tempted. 200 copies TOTAL of a great comic is far fewer than some of the late 60s Spideys I see sell for $500 to $1000 in 9.6 and it may even be true that not all 200 are in 9.8 shape already.

You are missing the point. There are not 200 copies of the actual comic book, there are thousands. There are 200 copies of a variant which has been produced solely for dealers with the purpose of fleecing collectors out of more money than they could ever hope to realise on the regular edition.

Don't believe the hype.

And using my analogy to Adams issues, would you NOT be interested in an alternate cover version of Detective 400 or Batman 251 that was handed out 30 years ago over one of the thousands of regular newsstand copies? Mnaufacture collectibles are stupid by definition, but they can still be a low enough supply for the demand, right? The problem with 99% of them is the supply far exceed the demand years later because the demand is all upfront.

well which is it? thousands or 200 copies?

There are 200 copies of the 'dealer incentive' variant ...cough (ie license to rip of collectors). But there are thousands of copies of batman #608.

And using my analogy to Adams issues, would you NOT be interested in an alternate cover version of Detective 400 or Batman 251 that was handed out 30 years ago over one of the thousands of regular newsstand copies?

No, there are an artificial way to restrict supply.

I don't so much mind variant covers produced in larger quantities, but this 200 copy Batman thing strikes me as a blantant effort to sting a few collectors for hundreds of $$$ at the height of the hype machine.

Yeah, and nobody collects variants right? cough cough ahem!

I think this is riduculous, but aman does have a point. And the popularity of this book will linger for at least a few years.

But there are thousands of copies of batman #608.

Ok, I get what you're saying, and agree that this price is outrageous, but this argument of there being thousands of copies dosen't fly. There are hundreds of thousands of EVERY Amazing Spider-Man issue, so by your logic why pay for a high grade when there are so many lowgrades? After all, the comic is the same right? And how do you explain price variants? Most are not even remotely a key in any way, and are very abundant in their common counterparts. Whether you(or I) like it or not, variants are hot, and they do have lasting power.

But $500+ is nuts........

200 (IF TRUE!!) seems like an almost small enough supply to be worth a shot at $100 or so. Not $500 or whatever it goes for now. And, as I said, only if this current series is remembered as the best of this era. I could never think of a reason to buy any of the regular copies of 508 out of the 50,000 printed...but one of 200? At the right price?

But I dont have to worry about buying one...by the time the price softens it will so out of favor noone will buy it and I wont care either. And by thetime its "worth" $500 again (if ever) ill be drooling in a cup in a home somewhere..

but this 200 copy Batman thing strikes me as a blantant effort to sting a few collectors for hundreds of $$$ at the height of the hype machine.

Of course it is. And its DCs way of giving a little back to the retailers (good customer relations) at the end consumer's (us) expense. Short term bad, cynical. Long term I think its got a shot.