• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

864 posts in this topic

Seems as if we have missed an important thread to contribute to and which deserves its own distinct recognition: promotional comic books. Overstreet has an entire section devoted just to them, and so should we.

I was ecstatic to pick up this copy recently via e-bay. Overstreet notes just 5 copies are known to exist.

MLK.jpg

Scarce 1938 promotional book featuring art by some of the top artists of the Platinum era.

Cocomalt.jpg

This 16 page giveaway shows what foods we should eat and why using original daily strips of Blondie, Henry, Flash Gordon, Toots & Casper, Popeye, Tillie the Toiler, The Phantom, The Little King & Bringing Up Father.

Eatright.jpg

Political comics made for excellent promotional books. This one is not found in Overstreet.

Ike.jpg

This 16 page giveaway, narrated by Mr. Civil Defense, features Al Capp and Li'l Abner.

Natural-Disasters.jpg

Though I see this one on e-bay every few months, Overstreet lists it as a rare giveaway provided to those who embarked upon the tour of NBC television studios. Features an atomic bomb blast.

OntheAir.jpg

Though styled as a "paint book" (in light of the invitation to color in duplicate pictures depicted inside), this delightful comic book was issued by Mr. Peanut himself!

Planters.jpg

This Popped Wheat 16 page giveaway featured reprints from the 1938 strips.

More to follow shortly! 893applaud-thumb.gifSmilinJack.jpg

I love promos!

Those are some gems that you posted. I'll have some questions about them later but I wanted to follow up with a reply so that the thread didn't sputter out.

I'm working on a full set of the General Electric Adventure Series/ Adventures in Science Series. Detailed information is almost impossible to come by, so I don't know how close I am. There are "varients" galore (none worth over $100 I suspect) because many of them were revised year after year. There are Canadian editions that seem to vary only by a notation that it's a Canadian edition. Does anyone here know a lot about them?

Here's a very early GE example

1128582-GEadventser1.jpg

Here's a gem, perhaps the only comic book ever devoted entirely to an organometallic compound (tetraethyllead). Drawn by John Rosenberg! Most people think of him as that hack that cranked out Archie Superhero books in the early 60s, but he does great, detailed work on this book.

1128582-morepower_1_small.jpg

And here's a crummy scan of one that I don't really own. I recently read someone else's copy and laughed myself senseless. (Yes, it was hard to tell the difference.)

1128582-garygibson.jpg

Great idea for a thread!

Jack

This is getting so old...first Firefox says that there's "no data" when I try to attach a scan. No IE won't let me post either...

Can someone give me a quick "how to"?

Gary, send me the scan and I will post it. Will only cost you one ashcan! poke2.gif

Several of my special collections overlap in that, for example, many anti-communist comics were also promotional comics. Here are some:

For 15 or so years the Catechetical Guild Educational Society produced some of the most virulent anti-communist books. Here is one of their holy grails. Approximately 16 copies are known to exist.

BloodistheHarvest.jpg

Only 5 copies are known to exist of the B/W version.

BloodistheHarvestBW.jpg

Rare Nazi-theme giveaway concerning the movie "Tomorrow The World" and reprinting Comic Cavalcade #10

Comiccavalcade3.jpg

A 32 page giveaway issued by the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade.

Doubletalk.jpg

Although actually about fire prevention, the existence of the Cold War and nuclear destruction was clearly on their minds.

Fireandblast.jpg

Allegedly designed for and distributed by the CIA, this copy is from the creator, Malcolm Alter's personal collection. Alter ran Commercial Comics, probably the best promotional comic book company that has ever existed.

GrenadaAlter.jpg

Stalin.jpg

This eight page comic was published by the U.S. Government and designed as a brochure. However, ultimately it was only published as a color strip on the front page of the Washington Post in July 1951. This is only the third known copy believed to exist.

IfanABombFalls.jpg

This original 1950 edition was printed and killed by the Guild's board of directors, but a limited number of copies were distributed. Approximately 20-30 copies of this edition are known to exist.

If-Devil-Would-Talk1950.jpg

This 1958 version attempted to meet church criticism of the 1950 version by editing some of the art and -script. The attempt failed. Approximately 80+ copies are known to exist.

If-Devil-Would-Talk1958.jpg

Printed both for sale and as a giveaway, this is widely considered to be the first anti-communist comic.

Is-this-tomorrow.jpg

This rare Vietnam-era anti-communism book is not listed in the Overstreet Guide. The publisher was one of the most virulent anti-semetic and racist organizations of modern day.

Itstimeforreason.jpg

This is the third of five known versions of this publication, which was the last anti-communist propaganda book published by the Guild. Although it does have a price on it, many of these were likely given away.

Red-Iceberg.jpg

Rare Cold War comic on nuclear weapons unlisted in the Guide. Produced by Alter.

Hbomb.jpg

Theplottostealtheworld.jpg

Therearenomasterraces.jpg

Two different versions of this book exist.

Twofacesofcommunism1.jpg

Twofacesofcommunism2.jpg

Fabulous books!

Any idea who drew them?

Especially:

Stalin.jpg

Reminds me a little of the Rosenberg book I posted.

This rare Vietnam-era anti-communism book is not listed in the Overstreet Guide. The publisher was one of the most virulent anti-semetic and racist organizations of modern day.

Itstimeforreason.jpg

Again, any idea of the artist? Nice work

Theplottostealtheworld.jpg

I can't humming David Bowie's "Man Who Stole the World"

Therearenomasterraces.jpg

Another beauty.

About how many promos do you have? Do you know much about the companies that produced them?

Here's another gasoline one

1128582-firepower.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, I wish I knew more about these books. Virtually nothing can be found about them, at least from what has been turned up thus far. I do believe the Liberty Lobby Treason book was done by Alter.

Harvey Dude and I are working on a history of the anti-commie books so hopefully more information will be known in the coming months.

Here is a good article on Alter and his company.

Malcolm Alter and Commercial Comics

I've seen the article before -- interesting reading (I wish he'd correct "segragation").

A friend just GAVE me Joe, the Genie of Steel and The Return of Joe, the Genie of Steel!

Did you know that there's a connection to Neal Adams' Megalith?

(I'd upload cover scans but the system is being balky today.)

Do you have the Truman or George Wallace books?

Do you know anything about General Comics/ Pictorial Media, Inc.?

Jack

Jack

I think I have the Truman book. I need to double check. I know I have bid on both of those books at different times and I can't remember whether I won or lost! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I recently obtained some interesting political promo books that are really hard-hitting (and likely defamatory!) against Senators Arlen Specter and Ted Kennedy. I'll post them once I scan them.

Is Pictorial Media the one that publised Parade Comics with the atomic blast on the cover?

I think I have the Truman book. I need to double check. I know I have bid on both of those books at different times and I can't remember whether I won or lost! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I recently obtained some interesting political promo books that are really hard-hitting (and likely defamatory!) against Senators Arlen Specter and Ted Kennedy. I'll post them once I scan them.

Is Pictorial Media the one that publised Parade Comics with the atomic blast on the cover?

I don't know -- there's an Ajax/Farrell book by that name, but I've never seen it. Funny animals, I think.

General Comics/ Pictorial Media, Inc. produced the General Electric Adventure Series/ Adventures in Science Series. It's hard to find info about the books or the company. George Roussos signed occasionally, and Mort Meskin reportedly did some of the artwork.

Jack

Is this in the Guide? Where'd you find it?

It is in the guide; Promotional, first page, ACTION COMICS, Theater.

Got it on ebay for 12 bucks, shipping included. It was sittin' there with no bids...so....seein how it was in my genre (westerns)....... The book is clean; I don't believe it's ever been read. The printing and coloring is really quality work; very sharp with no color runs/bleed overs. The staple is thru the first 16 pages and then folded beyond the staple. There are a few flaws; under the 'C' in comic you can see where a staple was punched and removed, also under the guy who's tied up a staple was punched and removed; again these staples went thru the first 16 pages. Then at the center right edge you can see a staple was punched thru and removed, it went thru all 32 pages.

The seller; thepapercollector

There's been a ton of promotional books on ebay these past weeks. I really enjoy the pre-war, anti-communism books. I've placed bids but I've yet to win any.

I've enjoyed this thread; searched it out before my purchase.

Thanks for posting and for the introduction to a very stimulating, eclectic area of books/collecting.

Is this in the Guide? Where'd you find it?

It is in the guide; Promotional, first page, ACTION COMICS, Theater.

Got it on ebay for 12 bucks, shipping included. It was sittin' there with no bids...so....seein how it was in my genre (westerns)....... The book is clean; I don't believe it's ever been read. The printing and coloring is really quality work; very sharp with no color runs/bleed overs. The staple is thru the first 16 pages and then folded beyond the staple. There are a few flaws; under the 'C' in comic you can see where a staple was punched and removed, also under the guy who's tied up a staple was punched and removed; again these staples went thru the first 16 pages. Then at the center right edge you can see a staple was punched thru and removed, it went thru all 32 pages.

The seller; thepapercollector

There's been a ton of promotional books on ebay these past weeks. I really enjoy the pre-war, anti-communism books. I've placed bids but I've yet to win any.

I've enjoyed this thread; searched it out before my purchase.

Thanks for posting and for the introduction to a very stimulating, eclectic area of books/collecting.

Great pickup for that price! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif I thought you didn't collect DC Westerns? poke2.gif

I've got a copy (of the MLK comic) that I've had since the early 80s. I'm pretty sure it's not counted among the 5 copies Overstreet lists. I sent that info to the folks at Overstreet last Fall, with a list of about a dozen unlisted plats and giveaways, but I'm not sure it ever got into the right hands, because none of them showed up in the latest guide.

I've got a copy (of the MLK comic) that I've had since the early 80s. I'm pretty sure it's not counted among the 5 copies Overstreet lists. I sent that info to the folks at Overstreet last Fall, with a list of about a dozen unlisted plats and giveaways, but I'm not sure it ever got into the right hands, because none of them showed up in the latest guide.

Definitely submit the list again. I also gave them a list last year and many of the titles never made it in the Guide for some reason while others did. I intend to lobby for the inclusion of these books for the 37th edition. I'd love to see your list as well. Perhaps post it here or PM me.

As for the MLK book, no doubt there are more copies around. I have no idea where they got the idea that there was only 5 copies. I also came across a spanish version on e-bay recently.