• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

A long while back we discussed comic books that appear in movies and on television shows. Thought I try some sort of update. This would be ONLY COMIC BOOKS that have appeared on film. Not movies about superheroes. Here are a few that I remember.

movie... IT CONQURED THE WORLD. Has actor Miller and a Spanish actor reading an ADVENTURE COMIC while garding the gate of a military base. A scientist walks up to them to tell the guards something and he starts to read the comic.

television... ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN episode THE BIRTHDAY LETTER. Has a little girl reading what appears to be SUPERMAN #20. The real Superman (George Reeves) flys into her room and she puts the comic down. (Wouldn't she know Superman is Clark Kent from reading that book?)

movie... ERNEST GOES TO CAMP. Has a group of kids that Ernest will be in charge of. Before they meet Ernest one of the kids is reading a OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

television... VAN DYKE SHOW. One episode shows comics in thier sons room.

television... HISTORY CHANNEL had COMIC BOOK SUPERHEROES UNMASKED. A documentary on the history of comics. Lots of comics shown.

movie... COMIC BOOK THE MOVIE. Stars Mark Hamill. Comics shown at a convention. Also some fictional comics are shown of a fictional character named Commander Courage.

movie... COMIC BOOK VILLAINS. Story about a group of comic collectors discovering a comic collection of someone that passed away. Comics in the movie are most likely copies or props.

television... DOOGIE HOWSER. An episode has him reading a comic.

television... SMALLVILLE. In one episode Lex has a rare comic framed hanging up on a wall. Most likely a prop.

television... COUNTDOWN TO WEDNESDAY. A documentary about getting into the comic book bussiness. A lot of comics shown.

television... COMIC BOOK CONFIDENTIAL. A documentary on the history of comics. A lot of comics shown.

movie... SUPERMAN THE MOVIE. 1st Christopher Reeves Superman movie show at the beginning a Superman comic. Prop for film.

Well thats all I can think of right now. Anyone else have any they remember?

Mallrats?

Jay and Silent Bob strike back had a whole store full of them. The secret stash if I'm not mistaken

KILL BILL 2 - Bill had a long monologue on superheroes.

TV - Amazing Stories - Mark Hamill as a hermit who was advised by a leprechaunish fellow to hold onto all of his childhood possessions. Amoung which was a Detective 27 and maybe an Action 1 and one or two more major GA keys.

TV - Dragnet - the 1960's (DRAGNET 1967 - 1970). One episode had a domestic disturbance call where a husband and wife were going at it because the wife threw his Superman #1 in the fire. I forget if he said it was then worth $1000 or $5000.

Catch Me if You Can hinged on Leonardo DiCaprio's use of a Barry Allen alias, and Tom Hanks employs a handful of what appear to be NM Silver Age Flash issues to figure this out. As I recall one of the books shown was Flash #135 ("The Power that Changed Kid Flash!")

Arnold Jackson stealing an ASM #1 on Different Strokes.

A People's Court episode where someone was suing a safe maker since his ASM #1 (among other books) became damaged inside the safe.

Plus, wasn't there someone on the Antiques Roadshow who had sprayed his books.

Also, didn't Samuel L. Jackson own a comic store in Unbreakable?

Edited by skybolt

Plus, wasn't there someone on the Antiques Roadshow who had sprayed his books.
Shelac if I'm not mistaken.

In the movie Catch 22, one of the soldiers is holding an early Action Comics. Hard to discern which issue it is though.
Nice job, .

Don't tell me that's going to count as a post for him? foreheadslap.gif

In the movie Catch 22, one of the soldiers is holding an early Action Comics. Hard to discern which issue it is though.
Nice job, .

Don't tell me that's going to count as a post for him? foreheadslap.gif

Sadly, yes.