• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU DON'T OWN
1 1

265 posts in this topic

1.) AF #15 - 7.5/8.0 condition

2.) All Select Comics #1 - 7.0/7.5 condition (my favorite Timely cover)

3.) Batman #1 - 4.0/4.5 condition

4.) Superman #5 - 7.0/7.5 condition (another great cover)

5.) Phantom Lady #23 - 7.5/8.0 condition (can't locate a copy anywhere)

Listing only books that really exist:

1. Showcase 4 (CGC 9.6)

2. Flash 123 (CGC 9.4)

3. Four Color 9 (CGC 9.6)

4. Four Color 199 (CGC 9.6)

5. Adventure 247 (CGC 9.6)

Someday Tim would own all of these books... tongue.gif

All would be realistically possible to acquire, if they ever came on the market, except for the Showcase 4.

My list changes slightly every few months, but:

Fantastic Comics #3 27_laughing.gif

Superman #3 (I love the cover, plus #1 & #2 are definitely out of the realm of possibility!)

Superman #6

Batman #9

Catman #20

Honorable mention:

Amazing Spiderman #1, #2, #4

Batman #15

Marvel Mystery #40

Superman #5, #8, #14

I seem to like low numbers, huh..... confused-smiley-013.gif

(I love the cover, plus #1 & #2 are definitely out of the realm of possibility!)

Yeah, I've got alot of those. frown.gif

Action #1

Action #12

Adventure #42

Batman #1

Captain America #1

Detective #27

Marvel Mystery #5

(I love the cover, plus #1 & #2 are definitely out of the realm of possibility!)

Yeah, I've got alot of those. frown.gif

You know Norinn, it's funny but I actually never pine after Action #1, Detective #27, Superman #1 etc. It's just hard-wired into my thinking that those books are permanently out of reach (perhaps partly b/c I'm 33 and have only been collecting GA the last 5-6 years)... iconic key books like those are just completely off my radar. Of your list, a book like Action #12 is in a sense much more of a "tease" for me than Action #1, as there still exists the possibility (however remote) that I could actually own one! Oh well...

You know Norinn, it's funny but I actually never pine after Action #1, Detective #27, Superman #1 etc. It's just hard-wired into my thinking that those books are permanently out of reach (perhaps partly b/c I'm 33 and have only been collecting GA the last 5-6 years)... iconic key books like those are just completely off my radar.

Me too. But one can still dream once in a while. cloud9.gif

I think to alot of collectors, all GA comics are hard-wired into their thinking as out of reach. The problem is that most GA books have gone up in price to the point where most newer collectors don't even think about them. The age has priced itself out of the market and out of the collective conscious of younger/newer collectors.

I know I never considered collecting them until the Gold Forum enlightened me as to the wonderful art these comic have. And when I looked at GA prices compared to HG SA/BA keys, they weren't as expensive as I was expecting (comparatively). And it's much neater to own a mid-grade All Star #57 than a HG copy of Hulk #181 (to me anyway).

I think alot more adult collectors would undergo this evolution if only they had more exposure to GA comics and could learn about them via our Gold Forum.

End of sign-rantpost.gif

Let's see....

1. Whiz Comics #1

2. House of Secrets #92

3. Captain Marvel Adventures #1

4. Police Comics #1

5. Plastic Man #1 (GA)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ONE_coverFront.jpg

Okay agreed. I actually collect some Bronze Age Horror. Yeah, I ignore the Silver Age. Only really want Strange Tales 89. House of Secrets 92 to me signals the Bronze Age(though 81 might be more accurate). It introduces Swamp Thing and sets the tone for stories/characters that would later make the Vertigo imprint. Though not as rare as the others, it is rare enough in High Grade to merit me putting it at #2. I would be happy with 5.0's of the others but HOS 92. At least a 9.2 for me. And that is a bit harder to get.

... And it's much neater to own a mid-grade All Star #57 than a HG copy of Hulk #181 (to me anyway).

I think alot more adult collectors would undergo this evolution if only they had more exposure to GA comics and could learn about them via our Gold Forum.

End of sign-rantpost.gif

Norinn,

You are a very astute individual. smile.gif