• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

328 posts in this topic

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

After seeing more and more CGC comics on eBay I did a web search and found the home page. From there it was a click to the message boards.

sumo.gif

I was researching price variants, did a Google and found the great thread about them here. A few months later was researching Canadian White’s and the same thing happened again.

There are some great threads of this nature here. Only reason I didn’t make this my ‘main’ board was I didn’t collect slabs (Still only have 3).

The boards here seem to have diversified more of late in the range of subjects covered and I love publisher related threads like the Lev Gleason one in the Golden Age section.

Earl.

Not sure. It was either the guys at Paradise Comics who pointed me to the forums or James Ashley Rudd (fantastic_four). Might have happened near around the time Matt Stanley had a bunch of books stolen from him, and both James and I had won some Spidey's off Matt. James emailed me explaining that Matt had renagged on an ASM 2 he had already won and paid for and warned me that Matt might do the same with my book. I kept in touch with James from that point on, and during that time, he may have told me about this site.

Well, I had this notebook of character cut-outs from Golden Age comics...

book1.jpg

There were a few whose source I couldn't identify...

book2.jpg

I had seen the forums when perusing CGC's site. So, my first post on the boards was a new thread, where I posted a link to a page on my website that had pics of the cut-outs I needed help with...

book3.jpg

All but one of the cut-outs that I couldn't identify were eventually recognized by board members.

book4.jpg

The last cut-out was identified with help from Vinny at Metro. Of course, my intention was to write an article about the notebook entitled "The Kid Who Cut Up $1,000,000 worth of Comic Books" or some such, but other writing projects have gotten in the way. And CBM, where I wanted to send the article once finished, is no longer being published. frustrated.gif

I came to this board by way of the Green Rivers I had purchased off Ebay actually. (It was actually an OFF-Ebay transaction since his auction for a NM Daredevil #11 lapsed without any bids.) Previously, I had heard of and read a lot about CGC, etc. but it was the possibility of slabbing some books that caused me to actually sign on. (I actually started posting with some scans of Green Rivers to ask if they were worth slabbing.)

Great idea FFB!

I really dont remember, other than I was aware of slabbed books growing influence, and heard there were discussions boards where comics lovers were swapping stories and showing books and arguing the merits of what was going on. I started reading until there was a discussion about 'married books'... so I burst in blasting Danny for being th emost notable offender with his Easman File copies.

...and was torn a new arssehole immediately by Methuseleh for cliaming he was Danny himself, as everyone referred to him as, tho he would of course never admit it. and of course he was Danny/Hammer. After that adrenaline rush, I was hooked I guess.

I happened upon these threads by researching prices on the CGC Homepage.I had just gotten back into the hobby and was looking to submit. I then posted a FURY of scans in the grading forum... I'm sure some can remember wink.gif

I have found it to be a wealth of information (once you get through all the graemlins! smirk.gif)! I hope it will be here for years to come!

Thank you all!

All the best in 2006 thumbsup2.gif

John

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

You can check-in anytime you want, but you can never leave... devil.gif

Unless you get banned. 27_laughing.gif