• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books IN Movies
1 1

254 posts in this topic

BEST find of All???

Alas, I can't recall the episode (I'll look for it, but no promises), but I came across an interesting scene on the television series box sets of the old early '60s crime drama NAKED CITY which were out four or five years ago. It's been awhile, but there is a chase which I recall stops for a few moments in front of a NYC newsstand. Lo and behold hanging in clear view is the prominently featured SA comic that recently sold for $1.1 million! :o

I'm sure you know which book I'm talkin' about! (thumbs u

Cheers,

David

Edited by DavidMerryweather

At the beginning of Return of the Living Dead Part 2 (blah) the boy takes a comic out of a box to gives to the local bullies/gang to join.

rotld2-ld_shot1l.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man. Might even be 129, not sure. Been a while, but I recall a yellow cover.

Just seen the movie PAUL. Its about 2 guys from England that come to the U.S. and go to the San Degio Comic Con. Lots of stuff about comics in this movie. After they go to the con they find a alien in the desert escaping from Area 51. Pretty funny movie worth seeing. If you plan to see it watch for the comic book store scene.

Just watched an episode of "WWII in Colour" and there's a shot of a naval rating reading a funny book.

I had the thing PVR'd so a few freeze frames and a GCD quest later and determined it was this. Kinda neat as the ship ended up going to the Pacific to fight the Japanese.

Oh, August 1943 issue.

117993.jpg.53d3ccf86cc1852d1f6c41d0765953ac.jpg

Just watching on Netflix Instant the movie "Special" 2006 with Michael Rappaport and there's a scene in a comic book store, the story involves someone who believes he gets super powers after taking an experimental trial medication.

Do I have to do everything for you today? :baiting:

special1-533x300.jpg

Linked here from a more recent thread this one seems to be more concise.

Was watching "Gremlins" with my nieces last night and the main character was an aspiring cartoonist. When Gizmo first gets wet and the other gremlins start popping off him on the are a bunch of comics. There's a Conan and others. I didn't want to make the girl sit there while I rewound and paused to look at them all.

Didn't see this mentioned. Surprised, actually. On an episode of Venture Brothers (adult swim,) there's a mint copy of Action 1 that Hank and Dean had. There was a number counter in the corner of the screen that showed the value (I think it was $1,000,000), and each time they did things to it , like rolling it up, or stomping on it, (inadvertently) the counter rolled back until at the end of the episode the counter reads 0. For those who haven't seen the show, Hank and Dean are 14 year old dolts.

Edited by Dungeon

Was watching "Gremlins" with my nieces last night and the main character was an aspiring cartoonist. When Gizmo first gets wet and the other gremlins start popping off him on the are a bunch of comics. There's a Conan and others. I didn't want to make the girl sit there while I rewound and paused to look at them all.

These:

Gremlins01.png

Gremlins02.png

Gremlins03.png

These:

Gremlins01.png

Gremlins02.png

Gremlins03.png

:applause: Yep that would be it

Found one from 1973. The show Lotsa Luck. Stars Dom DeLuise. One episode has his sister Olive reading Road Runner comics when she's sick in bed. I noticed the Withman brand on them. Dom DeLuise was so funny on this show.

2lmvzut.jpg

Cool Runnings- Sanka reads a comic book in a scene

00:47:32 And I hope you don't mind keeping quiet while I catch up on my reading.

00:47:35 What are you talking about, reading? This is a children's book.

00:47:39 - Oh, is that so? - Yes, that's so.

00:47:41 Well, if it's a children's book, that means it's too advanced for the likes of you.

00:47:45 What are you trying to say, that I'm not smarter than a little child?

Edited by j0ey

duranduran.jpg

From the Duran Duran video for "Rio"

The comic he's reading is Charlton's Fightin' Army #157, cover dated April 1982.

Cover art is by Sam Glanzman. The interior stories were reprints from Army War Heroes #33-34.

The song "Rio" was released as a single in November 1982; however,

the music video was shot over the course of three days in May 1982

on the island of Antigua. Which means that that issue of Fightin' Army

was probably the most current one available at the time.

744897.jpg