• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ongoing SILVERWOLF/Greater Mercury comics thread.
2 2

68 posts in this topic

Getting the SilverWolf Index is a must. It was put out by GMC and has info about all the stuff published by SilverWolf like print runs etc.. That's where all the "placeholders" come from. But the printing is cheapo newsprint and the images are small so I don't know how much extra detail you'll get out of them.

Never seen any of the novellas. I think that the audience for prose was not the same as the comics and not that many were printed and sold. My guess is that they're ashcan size and not that many pages, but I could be wrong.

Cool art! I have to take some better pictures of the art I have so I can show it off too.

I don't actually own the Grips tryout piece by Fish. Still, I'd love to see what art you've got

I'll keep an eye out for that Silverwolf index, seems like a must have. I was reading an old thread on the Rebel Studios forum and one of the Vigil experts (Glen) was pointing out that there were some errors in that book. I'd link it but my history won't show that I went to that site for some reason. I think he was correcting some of the info on the Grips portfolios (which would explain the wrong plates that I saw in the picture showing the 3rd portfolio)

Here's the post you speak of.

I saved some of Glenn's old catalogs too!

raw_comics_group_small.jpg

And look what fell out of one of them. I never used that credit...

raw_comics_order_form_small.jpg

Edited by kpaqu1

I thought you guys and gals might like these. Got them direct from the artist, Dane McCart.

SWOAE34.jpg

More to come. I will host some better scans on my blog in a few days. I also have a cover for one of the unpublished color books, Silver Wolf Tails, also courtesy of Dane.

http://mobys.ws/05/11/silverwolf-original-cover-art-eradicators-3/

I thought you guys and gals might like these. Got them direct from the artist, Dane McCart.

SWOAE34.jpg

More to come. I will host some better scans on my blog in a few days. I also have a cover for one of the unpublished color books, Silver Wolf Tails, also courtesy of Dane.

http://mobys.ws/05/11/silverwolf-original-cover-art-eradicators-3/

Outstanding! Dane was lucky to have gotten the art back from Silver. There must be another stat heavy cover out there for #3 with the top finished.

Edited by kpaqu1

This is another I got from Dane McCart, the cover for Silver Wolf Tails, one of the 10 color books Silverwolf was going to release in the summer of '86 or '87. Of course, the company imploded and this was never used. Huge thanks to Dane for sharing.

SWT1.jpg

The lower right corner has what appears to be a lot of white-out that has chipped off, otherwise the piece is in good condition. A real find.

Be sure to visit my blog, Moby's!, for a whole bunch more Silverwolf related posts.

This is another I got from Dane McCart, the cover for Silver Wolf Tails, one of the 10 color books Silverwolf was going to release in the summer of '86 or '87. Of course, the company imploded and this was never used. Huge thanks to Dane for sharing.

SWT1.jpg

The lower right corner has what appears to be a lot of white-out that has chipped off, otherwise the piece is in good condition. A real find.

Be sure to visit my blog, Moby's!, for a whole bunch more Silverwolf related posts.

I always wonder what the color books would have been like from a printing standpoint. Everything was printed pretty cheaply as it was and the only examples of a GMC color book, "I" Come in Peace, were truly a mess on the production side.

Edited by kpaqu1

Previously I posted the original art to the cover to Dark Assassin (Vol 2) #1 from Greater Mercury (the pictures are all down as I changed photobucket accounts but they're all still up on my CAF page).

Anyway, I now present you with the original art to the cover of Edge (Vol 2) #1 from Greater Mercury- the 2nd Greater Mercury comic, and the first published cover done specifically for that company (Grips Adventures #1 was done during Silverwolf and half published)

I also have the covers to Edge #6, 7, 8, and the unpublished 13, plus a cool double page splash with Grips from #1. They'll all be going up to CAF probably later today- but here's the cover to #1 for now:

EdgeVol21cover_zpsfb4db9e2.jpg

It looks like that art was used for the Edge v2 Premiere ashcan and acted as the preliminary for the regular issue 's full color finishes of airbrush/paint/marker/color pencil/pasteup.

Can't wait to see the rest. Edge was my favorite book.

Anyway, here's something I'm not sure if you've seen before (published GMC books)- company newsletters:

Untitled_zpscd79c9ff.jpg

Wowza! Brand new to me. What's on the insides, if I may ask? Sent to shops and distributers perhaps? Great stuff!

I just asked Kristoffer Silver (via email) if Greater Mercury Legion X-II #9 exists since it was listed on his old website but there was no active Paypal link for it to purchase.

Here's what he said:

There are a few comics that reached publication readiness and did not actually get printed. This particular issue does bear checking out in detail, but until I bring the contents (Comics and paperwork) of all three storage warehouses together and do a proper inventory, there is no way to be positive about what happened. Of course, once that is done, all info will be available on the new website.

~K