• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I would like to nominate Chip for probation. It has been at least 30 since he confirmed he got my payment. I sent him numerous requests about shipping of books and his answers were that he would get to them ASAP. I have had to initiate every contact and now I hear nothing from him.

I don't have a lot of money as I am on disability. I knew that Chip was in need of help and have been buying books from him for quite a while from here and on Ebay. I believe in helping out fellow man and did the best I could for him and his family. I am going forward with this because it tisn't that difficult to keep in contact with people, I had to keep chasing him, and let them know what is going on. In good faith I sent him a money order, which he acknowledged getting, and has failed to meet his requirement to send books.

I have sent him notice two days ago I would be nominating him.

This was yesterday at 6:30 AM.

I believe the 72 hours time has passed. I will add him to the list.

He WOULD be nominating him not that he was nominated. Don't think the time is up yet 2c

Trying to find a relevant post in this muck that has been created here today. Does anyone seriously think that Gotchaman's PM to him does not suffice as notice? I'm all for rules and all but this really seems like splitting hairs.

I would like to nominate Chip for probation. It has been at least 30 since he confirmed he got my payment. I sent him numerous requests about shipping of books and his answers were that he would get to them ASAP. I have had to initiate every contact and now I hear nothing from him.

I don't have a lot of money as I am on disability. I knew that Chip was in need of help and have been buying books from him for quite a while from here and on Ebay. I believe in helping out fellow man and did the best I could for him and his family. I am going forward with this because it tisn't that difficult to keep in contact with people, I had to keep chasing him, and let them know what is going on. In good faith I sent him a money order, which he acknowledged getting, and has failed to meet his requirement to send books.

He WOULD be nominating him not that he was nominated. Don't think the time is up yet 2c

Trying to find a relevant post in this muck that has been created here today. Does anyone seriously think that Gotchaman's PM to him does not suffice as notice? I'm all for rules and all but this really seems like splitting hairs.

I think the issue is the 30 day rule. A nomination cannot be made and therefore a PM notification cannot be made until after 30 days have elapsed from the time of the first agreement to transact.

In my experience this 30 days has always been strictly observed.

I think the issue is the 30 day rule. A nomination cannot be made and therefore a PM notification cannot be made until after 30 days have elapsed from the time of the first agreement to transact.

He's talking about the 72 hour period between nomination and addition. There is a difference between notification to the party and official nomination.

He's talking about the 72 hour period between nomination and addition. There is a difference between notification to the party and official nomination.

Here's his original post

I still don't get why it's does not suffice.

Did anyone PM Gotcha to ask if he can explicitly tell him he "is" nominated vs he "would" be nominated? Smh at all of this.

I'd say this thread and talk of the Probation List and/or Hall of Shame is having a effect. I made a purchase from Chip on 11/4/16 and heard nothing until I sent him a PM on 11/26/16 asking if my books had shipped yet, to which he responded in pretty much the same manner that he did to everyone else. Today, over a month later, I get a PM from him asking for my address and saying he will ship my books out on Monday. I figured something was up, and with a minimum of research, found this thread. I'd like to get my books, but it irritates me that it took the threat of PL or HOS for him to fulfill his obligations. It's also more than a little irritating to know that he's reading this thread, but has not made a post offering any kind of explanation. Over the years, I've made a lot of purchases from Chip, mostly on ebay, but also on the boards, and except for the last one, every one went smoothly. I even had him on my favorite sellers list on ebay. This last transaction, however, changes all that. I wish him well, but I will never buy anything from him again, either on ebay or on the boards, and if asked, I would not recommend anyone else to conduct business with him either. Had this discussion of the PL and HOS nomination not come up, I highly doubt I would have gotten the pm from him today. As far as I'm concerned, the Probation List or Hall of Shame is exactly where he belongs.

Here's his original post

I still don't get why it's does not suffice.

Did anyone PM Gotcha to ask if he can explicitly tell him he "is" nominated vs he "would" be nominated? Smh at all of this.

We would have to clarify with Gatchaman when the 30 day mark was reached exactly. Anything sent prior to the 30 days has no official status. Only after 30 days is it valid to pursue someone with a PL nomination. If Gatchaman sent it prior to the 30 days it is not valid. Is it an arbitrary rule? Yes. In some sense all time dependent rules are arbitrary. But its 30 days and if you are going to notify someone that they are nominated it must be after 30 days have passed from the original transaction.

I'd say this thread and talk of the Probation List and/or Hall of Shame is having a effect. I made a purchase from Chip on 11/4/16 and heard nothing until I sent him a PM on 11/26/16 asking if my books had shipped yet, to which he responded in pretty much the same manner that he did to everyone else. Today, over a month later, I get a PM from him asking for my address and saying he will ship my books out on Monday. I figured something was up, and with a minimum of research, found this thread. I'd like to get my books, but it irritates me that it took the threat of PL or HOS for him to fulfill his obligations. It's also more than a little irritating to know that he's reading this thread, but has not made a post offering any kind of explanation. Over the years, I've made a lot of purchases from Chip, mostly on ebay, but also on the boards, and except for the last one, every one went smoothly. I even had him on my favorite sellers list on ebay. This last transaction, however, changes all that. I wish him well, but I will never buy anything from him again, either on ebay or on the boards, and if asked, I would not recommend anyone else to conduct business with him either. Had this discussion of the PL and HOS nomination not come up, I highly doubt I would have gotten the pm from him today. As far as I'm concerned, the Probation List or Hall of Shame is exactly where he belongs.

Chip's obviously reading this. And the number of 2cdaic5.gif outweighs those defending him at is point. It's easier for him to hide in the shadows and try to save his by getting things finally shipped. Two bad USPS is closed on Monday and he'll be added to the PL by the time stuff arrives.

Again...notification vs nomination.

We're talking about two different things.

Gatchaman SHOULD have nomiated Chip here and then sent a seperate PM to Chip with a link to the nomination. Why he didn't do that - (shrug)

Yes, thanks for clarifying that. I think he would have done that but he may not have been clear on the due process part of it, and it is what it is, but it is nothing major.

Again persons making a nomination are not obliged to withdraw their nomination just because they are contacted via PM with promises of such and such being done in the future. Anyone who makes an otherwise valid nomination can continue to have someone placed on the PL until such time as they find the transaction has been in fact completed.

The sigh was because you're right. Gatchaman SHOULD have just notified Chip that he was nominating him and then actually nominate him at the same time. The way he did it basically gave Chip an extra two days.

My bad, I thought I was doing it the right way. I hated even doing it in the first place.

That the threat of PL incited Chip to start proactively fulfilling his obligations is pretty troubling.

It didn't. I got fired from the job I've been working and am cleaning up unfulfilled transactions before I lack the time to do so again.

Also, let me eliminate the debate in this thread. Place me on the PL and then the HOS if you so desire. I understand the need and want by the membership here as well as the reasons for doing so.

I apologize for any ill feelings I've caused. Thank you all for reading.

Your post brings up an issue that has been discussed many times in the past. If he makes good on everything he will eventually come off the PL yet it is unlikely he goes in the HOS. I can just imagine the debate that one will be. So that would mean he is on no real list despite repeated offenses.

What's the alternative? Has anyone ever suggested what to do with serial offenders that go dark after a deal and only resurface when talk of PL or HOS reaches them to complete a deal? I'd love to see something that addresses this type of scenario.

The 30 day mark was yesterday.

I, also, got a tracking number and will hold any decision making until I get the package and know if everything is there and not a German newspaper.

Are you kidding me?! After all this?! :facepalm: