• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

As a noob who has sold a few things here (thank you for trusting me, buyers - I don't take it for granted), just wanted to give my 2c (which I'm sure are only worth 1 cent, because again, I'm a noob). In general, at an isolated transaction level I think market forces work pretty well for controlling these things (e.g., if a noob seller posts a sales thread and no one buys from him/her, problem is solved). However, as a mechanism to discourage the volume of new members who come here only to try a quick sale and have no intentions of sticking around and becoming a part of the ongoing community, I think that having some prerequisite in place for selling is not a bad idea - not sure post count is the way to go, though, as others have pointed out. It's just too easy to rapidly post these guys :banana: (thumbs u all over the place to inflate the post count.

Rather, how about this idea...state the requirement in terms of a "purchase count." That is, before a person can sell on the boards, the person has to have successfully engaged in some specified number of buy transactions (as validated via their feedback thread), which would demonstrate that the person at least has the potential to be trustworthy when it comes to actual dollars and books. In fact, I self-imposed this requirement when I joined...I bought a number of books and built up some feedback before ever even thinking of trying to sell something...just seemed like the natural way to proceed. Further, this would by construction require that a person has engaged with the community before partaking in the privilege of selling on the boards. One problem is, as pointed out in the context of the post count requirement, I have no idea who would set the minimum "purchase count", or how enforcement would be handled.

Having said all that, I also agree with this, for obvious reasons:

Obviously, if your register date is before the rule has been applied, you would be grandfathered in.
:banana:

The original topic of discussion was to have a post count required for people to sell on the boards - not buy. Not sure what happened, but I think someone misread and ran with the idea that a post count for everyone was being suggested.

Not trying to poke the bear here, but in how many cases is it the buyer causing the issue and not the seller?

But if you are the seller and your buyer doesnt pay, its a pain in the arse but you still have your book.

If you are the buyer and you pay, the seller does a runner with your cash, you have nothing but your pants round your ankles :makepoint:

I agree with Jon. I don't think post counts are a valid way to keep the market safer.

I have to agree. I've had PM sales from quite a few new members, and they follow through with no problems. You are going to have a chance of a bad sale based on the person - not the post count. Though I get it about feeling more comfortable with someone that is established.

The original topic of discussion was to have a post count required for people to sell on the boards - not buy. Not sure what happened, but I think someone misread and ran with the idea that a post count for everyone was being suggested.

I think you should have a minimum post count just to post.

At this point, I think I will change my view from 'minimum post count to sell' to the ever-popular 'let the market decide'.

I agree with Jon. I don't think post counts are a valid way to keep the market safer.

I have to agree. I've had PM sales from quite a few new members, and they follow through with no problems. You are going to have a chance of a bad sale based on the person - not the post count. Though I get it about feeling more comfortable with someone that is established.

I think you should have a minimum post count just to post.

Mind...blown

At this point, I think I will change my view from 'minimum post count to sell' to the ever-popular 'let the market decide'.

Of course we could do it the right way and require a credit card on file or for the person to be bonded;) :tonofbricks:

I do like the minimum post count to post idea, lol

So you're suggesting higher post count leads to thinner pie crust, yummier tomato sauce, and more robust flavoring?

The conundrum is that lower post counts could lead to flakier pie crusts. (give it a minute :blush:)

So what happened with mrmaha?
(shrug)

I think a few people, including you, have spoken up in agreement, I think miamisoundmachine3434 was going to post a better PM exchange, but anyone who has read it agrees that mrmaha made a PL worthy move.

I say last call before adding these two, any objections???

mrmaha nominator miamiknight3434

jaspersk nominator pwog

Once we clear the deck, we can string up gpanalysis for failing to report some ebay sales. :jokealert:

If you guys want more information on my nomination please ask. Thanks for your time and consideration.

I discovered this message board when searching for the physical address of ComicSupply.com. My issue with ComicSupply/Russell Altomare was a purchase on his website, not this board, but I'm posting here because I see that ComicSupply is/was responding to disgruntled customers who post in this thread.

Order: #20002

10/22/2011

$331.38

Over the past year I've emailed, left voice mails, and posted in the account section of the website with no response. On the rare occasions that I am able to call when Russ answers the phone he is very pleasant and reassuring telling me that products were previously out of stock and my order will ship in a week. He has even offered me store credit for waiting. Eventually, I got wise to his stall tactics and asked for a refund. Since then I have filed a claim with the BBB(9398922) & Michigan Attorney General(2013-cp03181849157-A).

Does any one know if ComicSupply has a brick-and-mortar location? The address listed on ComicSupply.com for sending payments looks like a PO Box rental address. I typed it into Google maps, zoomed into street view and did not see anything that looked like a comic book store.

Any assistance appreciated.

I discovered this message board when searching for the physical address of ComicSupply.com. My issue with ComicSupply/Russell Altomare was a purchase on his website, not this board, but I'm posting here because I see that ComicSupply is/was responding to disgruntled customers who post in this thread.

10/22/2011

$331.38

Over the past year I've emailed, left voice mails, and posted in the account section of the website with no response. On the rare occasions that I am able to call when Russ answers the phone he is very pleasant and reassuring telling me that products were previously out of stock and my order will ship in a week. He has even offered me store credit for waiting. Eventually, I got wise to his stall tactics and asked for a refund. Since then I have filed a claim with the BBB(9398922) & Michigan Attorney General(2013-cp03181849157-A).

Does any one know if ComicSupply has a brick-and-mortar location? The address listed on ComicSupply.com for sending payments looks like a PO Box rental address. I typed it into Google maps, zoomed into street view and did not see anything that looked like a comic book store.

Sorry you found us this way, but welcome to the boards!

Unfortunately he's been in our "Hall of Shame" for years. As far as I remember he was working out of his garage. Perhaps someone else here can help with more of a location.

10/22/2011

$331.38

Sorry you found us this way, but welcome to the boards!

Unfortunately he's been in our "Hall of Shame" for years. As far as I remember he was working out of his garage. Perhaps someone else here can help with more of a location.

He's a thief and con artist,sorry you had to go through this.Next time try HotFlips.

So what happened with mrmaha?
(shrug)

I think a few people, including you, have spoken up in agreement, I think miamisoundmachine3434 was going to post a better PM exchange, but anyone who has read it agrees that mrmaha made a PL worthy move.

I say last call before adding these two, any objections???

mrmaha nominator miamiknight3434

jaspersk nominator pwog

Ok guys I'm having a hard time setting up a clean version of the PM conversation. I'll try and have it done by this weekend

I am adding both.

Miamiknight3434 please still post a clean version of the PM discussion in this thread.