• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

This is a forum with informal procedures. I really do not like any zero tolerance laws or rules, those cause many problems.

That being said, I think the probation list should be primarily for people who skip out on deals, they disappear for a period of time etc. The case of a deal being backed out of shortly after making it is not good, but it shouldn't instantly require somebody going on the list. Make the public notifications about it here if the wronged party feels strongly about it. Put them on the list if it's needed, but don't make this a longer list than it needs to be.

Things change and people make mistakes. There's a right way to apologize, and bad ways to do it. The judgment should be up to the wronged party if possible. That's what this thread is for yes?

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding your point, but what you're describing ... isn't that exactly how the Probation list works currently?

If a buyer reneges on a deal, and the seller doesn't feel like adding them to the probation list, well, then they don't get added.

I'm just trying to suggest that if the issue is minor enough(depending on how it affected the wronged party), maybe just mention it here but not actually add the name to the list. (Kind of a warning publicly made.)

I see what you are saying...and I think we agree. Essentially, I would argue it is the wronged party's call to make. That is, what may seem minor to me may be a major difficulty for you and vice versa :juggle: The wronged party is never (at least in my understanding) obligated to put someone on the probation list. It is kind of their call to make and then bring it to the general population if they decide to move forward with the case.

Now for what it is worth (and this is in large part my own weakness showing :doh: ) I have, at times, immediately put more bids in at sites like comiclink upon selling a book here. I would never bid more than I could afford, but it would certainly inconvenience me to win a $500 book and then learn I have to pay for it out of savings because someone backed out of a deal (even if it was relatively quickly after the :takeit: ) Like I said, in part that is my poor choice but it certainly would put me in a foul mood and less likely to let something slide if I thought someone was just being irresponsible :shrug:

So what are the ramifications (sorry for the big word) of backing out on a deal? If I want to buy a certain comic but then a few days later I find a cheaper deal or decide its not what I really wanted, is that probation worthy?

I guess the circumstances behind the reason are important.

Say I throw up an :takeit: on book A for $100/ Before I pay a copy is made available on ebay for $65. I buy that and let the seller of book A know I no longer want it. That would be probation list worthy in my eyes.

You struck a deal for $100. If this was at a show or person to person that deal would have happened immediately. Both parties happy. Buying over the internet affords the buyer additional time to shop while the seller waits for his money to arrive. Personally I think your yes should mean yes.

Lets say someone buys book A and the next day finds out he or she lost their job. That is a different scenario completely. If they explain the situation to the seller and say they no longer have the means to pay I can understand that transaction just dissolving with no hard feelings on either side.

How do I get off the list? I admit to wrong doing. I had big time problems long story short. Deals I broke were small but I understand I wasted sellers time and patience. I just want to fix things. What is proper protocol to acheive this?

How do I get off the list? I admit to wrong doing. I had big time problems long story short. Deals I broke were small but I understand I wasted sellers time and patience. I just want to fix things. What is proper protocol to acheive this?

I believe you need to speak with the persons who put you on the list for them to pull you off (shrug)

I believe you need to speak with the persons who put you on the list for them to pull you off (shrug)

Is it this true? I will try and contact Nick as I think he was the one who put me on.

Is it this true? I will try and contact Nick as I think he was the one who put me on.

It was indeed Flaming_Telepath (Nick) who put you on there.

So what are the ramifications (sorry for the big word) of backing out on a deal? If I want to buy a certain comic but then a few days later I find a cheaper deal or decide its not what I really wanted, is that probation worthy?

If the seller decides that it has caused enough difficulty/inconvenience then yes. Ultimately I think it should be left to the discretion of the wronged party. Maybe to him it was not a big deal, so he lets it slide. However, what if in those several days (or in the case of some PM deals weeks or months) the seller lost the opportunity to move the book to another party...perhaps even for more, but could not accept due to this prior committment. :doh:

Ultimately the party backing out IS probation worthy in situations like this (minus extenuating circumstances such as death, personal tragedy and the like). Sometimes, due to the seller being a nice or forgiving person they do not make the list, but ultimately I feel that the seller should have that option. (thumbs u

The :takeit: in my mind (public or PM) is an agreement in terms being reached...not a maybe or let me think about it another week or two. It should be taken seriously with the appropriate consequences for folks who do not.

:gossip: And to be fair, I obviously take a similar view if the seller backs out. In that case the buyer should have the opportunity to place that individual on the probation list as well. :gossip:

Hard to argue with logic like this, well put Heath (Thumbs u

It was indeed Flaming_Telepath (Nick) who put you on there.

Holy cow! That's almost 2 years ago.

Yah my pal said he had a job lined up got there and no work in the whole city. I had to sell comics for money. Then lost internet and all hell broke loose. Sad. But I take responsibility and will do things right. I regret sellin my gl 76 & jim 83 so now I gotta replace them lol. Board permitting of course

Edited by rza808

OK, peeps, Ray has indeed contacted me and with his permission in my back pocket, I'll share our exchange with you.

Hey Nick let me start by saying I am sorry. I really did not move to vegas well. I was unemployed for 8 months and ended up moving back to hawaii to start over. Anyways I was wondering if you could remove me from the probation list. I am willing to make purchase from you to offset the deal that I couldnt complete. Let me know either way please. You were always good to me and that makes me ashamed of this whole situation

Ray,

It's good to hear from you and sorry to learn that you had real troubles with you move to Vegas.

Yes, it's a shame that you ended up on the Probation List and unfortunately, given the time that has elapsed (two-and-a-half years), I'm not prepared to simply have you removed. I think this would be unfair to the rest of the community who need to be made aware of potential problems.

However, I am happy to help you re-establish a reputation around here and if you can successfully do that, I will arrange for you to be removed.

Here's what I propose...

I post this PM communication to the Probation thread and indicate that you are 'on trial' and those boarders who wish to do business with you can do so without upsetting me. This should allow you to engage in transactions with a number of folk here, although I am sure there will still be a few who will hold off for a time. That's quite understandable in the circumstances.

Once you have completed five transactions (that can be validated) without a problem, I will be more than happy to have you removed from the List. Those transactions can be with any member of good standing on these boards and none of them have to be with me...just prove that you're as good as your word. (thumbs u

I know that this might sound a bit onerous, but I've got to strike a balance here between helping you back into the fold and looking out for the rest of the community.

Let me know whether this is an acceptable compromise and I'll post these thoughts to the Probation Thread. (thumbs u

Nick

I have no problem with that. I am now more stable than before I left plus I am single so no problems with splurging lol. 5 transactions will go by fast hopefully. Thanks Nick and I truly understand and respect this. I see a lot of different names and feel like a newb all over.

Bottom line, Ray is on Super Secret Probation Rehabilitation. I will not get offended or upset if people deal with Ray and will say in his defence that prior to him going AWOL, I had no problems with him.

However, in an effort to protect the community, as well as give him a shot at getting back, I think this is a fair compromise.

OK, peeps, Ray has indeed contacted me and with his permission in my back pocket, I'll share our exchange with you.

Hey Nick let me start by saying I am sorry. I really did not move to vegas well. I was unemployed for 8 months and ended up moving back to hawaii to start over. Anyways I was wondering if you could remove me from the probation list. I am willing to make purchase from you to offset the deal that I couldnt complete. Let me know either way please. You were always good to me and that makes me ashamed of this whole situation

Ray,

It's good to hear from you and sorry to learn that you had real troubles with you move to Vegas.

Yes, it's a shame that you ended up on the Probation List and unfortunately, given the time that has elapsed (two-and-a-half years), I'm not prepared to simply have you removed. I think this would be unfair to the rest of the community who need to be made aware of potential problems.

However, I am happy to help you re-establish a reputation around here and if you can successfully do that, I will arrange for you to be removed.

Here's what I propose...

I post this PM communication to the Probation thread and indicate that you are 'on trial' and those boarders who wish to do business with you can do so without upsetting me. This should allow you to engage in transactions with a number of folk here, although I am sure there will still be a few who will hold off for a time. That's quite understandable in the circumstances.

Once you have completed five transactions (that can be validated) without a problem, I will be more than happy to have you removed from the List. Those transactions can be with any member of good standing on these boards and none of them have to be with me...just prove that you're as good as your word. (thumbs u

I know that this might sound a bit onerous, but I've got to strike a balance here between helping you back into the fold and looking out for the rest of the community.

Let me know whether this is an acceptable compromise and I'll post these thoughts to the Probation Thread. (thumbs u

Nick

I have no problem with that. I am now more stable than before I left plus I am single so no problems with splurging lol. 5 transactions will go by fast hopefully. Thanks Nick and I truly understand and respect this. I see a lot of different names and feel like a newb all over.

Bottom line, Ray is on Super Secret Probation Rehabilitation. I will not get offended or upset if people deal with Ray and will say in his defence that prior to him going AWOL, I had no problems with him.

However, in an effort to protect the community, as well as give him a shot at getting back, I think this is a fair compromise.

Works for me. Good idea Nick. (thumbs u