• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow, I'm starting to lose track of what's going on around here lately.

I do have a small suggestion though relevant to the recent goings on. How about adding this to the Sales Forum Guidelines: bulk sales must be accompanied by a complete list of inventory with grades and any discerning defects such as water damage, impact damage, tears, foxing etc. Maybe even group photos of inventory for future reference if there are any disputes over what was actually received.

If people want to sell a bulk lot then why not put the effort in? Then any bulk listings without the pertinent information provided get pulled thus avoiding the situation that's currently going on in the Probation thread.

A long winded guideline to add I know, but it could save a lot af trouble in the long run.

What's the point of selling in bulk if you have to grade them all out? :makepoint:

So now folks are using stock photos in their listings when selling raw books on the board? And, when they list the same book on eBay, it was noted as a 9.6 condition, but on here they list it as a 9.8 condition?!

Are some sellers losing their mind with all the things going on lately?

Stock photo AND higher condition listing

Access denied? (shrug)

So now folks are using stock photos in their listings when selling raw books on the board? And, when they list the same book on eBay, it was noted as a 9.6 condition, but on here they list it as a 9.8 condition?!

Access denied? (shrug)

Mods pulled the thread last night.

I do have a small suggestion though relevant to the recent goings on. How about adding this to the Sales Forum Guidelines: bulk sales must be accompanied by a complete list of inventory with grades and any discerning defects such as water damage, impact damage, tears, foxing etc. Maybe even group photos of inventory for future reference if there are any disputes over what was actually received.

If people want to sell a bulk lot then why not put the effort in? Then any bulk listings without the pertinent information provided get pulled thus avoiding the situation that's currently going on in the Probation thread.

A long winded guideline to add I know, but it could save a lot af trouble in the long run.

What's the point of selling in bulk if you have to grade them all out? :makepoint:

People run sales threads all the time with hundreds or so books in them graded. Where's the difference? None of the books in comicseekers thread were individually graded, yet people are compaining about the grades. So maybe there is a point.

Obviously :makepoint:

Who was the seller? :baiting:

PhiGam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120407347192

Same exact photo (DSCN0677.jpg), just $20 more and a grade bump to boot. Oh, and the same goofy seller.

I love the threat I received via PM as well. "drawing lines in the sand against me over this is probably something you'll wish you hadn't done someday."

Class act!

Obviously :makepoint:

Who was the seller? :baiting:

PhiGam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120407347192

Same exact photo (DSCN0677.jpg), just $20 more and a grade bump to boot. Oh, and the same goofy seller.

I love the threat I received via PM as well. "drawing lines in the sand against me over this is probably something you'll wish you hadn't done someday."

Class act!

doh! Not cool. :sumo:

I don't necessarily know if you need to pinpoint the grade per se, but providing group shots and giving at least a soft grade range (i.e. VG to FN) I think is fair when dealing with .50 books. I think the concern is when sellers don't do so, and then the buyer gets a less than expected surprise on the other end. If someone isn't really up for putting in at least a minimal effort, then maybe Craigslist is a better venue for that sort of offering? :shrug:

A clearly defined stock photo of an item should not be an issue, providing additional reference to item desrciption(grade, price). The seller may have buyers who are comfortable with the seller's grading and may not require specific scan/pic of that item. The downside is people not familiar with the seller may not want to take the risk. Seller's choice.

However, stock photo shouldn't link to outside sales venue, just the image alone would seem to be appropriate.

If I were buying something like mylars, picture frames, or something where the minute details of the item weren't relevant, I'd completely agree with you GA; however, selling comic book is a different beast where those tiny details to matter. I think one (of many) frustrating things about some online dealers is when they list a picture for the item only to find it's a stock picture--essentially rendering the picture pointless. With comic buying, a picture that does not represent the item purchase is seems like a point of misdirection even if a description of the item is listed. Just my thoughts on this, but if you don't want to take the time to scan or take a picture of the comic, then don't. Just give some grader's notes and leave it at that.

That sort of logic and reason has no place in this market, sir. The idea of "caveat emptor" clearly holds absolutely NO meaning for a group who would buy from children and/or would buy in bulk sight unseen.

There's a simple reason why you will never find a marketplace like this one anywhere else:

They are crushed under the greed, stupidity, and laziness of their own patrons.

If I were buying something like mylars, picture frames, or something where the minute details of the item weren't relevant, I'd completely agree with you GA; however, selling comic book is a different beast where those tiny details to matter. I think one (of many) frustrating things about some online dealers is when they list a picture for the item only to find it's a stock picture--essentially rendering the picture pointless. With comic buying, a picture that does not represent the item purchase is seems like a point of misdirection even if a description of the item is listed. Just my thoughts on this, but if you don't want to take the time to scan or take a picture of the comic, then don't. Just give some grader's notes and leave it at that.

True, but on some of this modern drek with a katrillion variants it is nice to have some clarity. Older books it's not necessary. Again, I think it's a concession by the seller and may result in fewer sales, but their choice, not a violation.