• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,126 posts in this topic

Here are a few pictures from previous years of our Xmas tree:

K1494974A408_1000057.jpg

tree.jpg

K1494974A408_1000058.jpg

Here's Deuce beside it:

K1494974A408_1000059.jpg

The tree is a fiber optic one but the motor died last year. We'll probably look to getting the motor repaired since fiber optic trees are no longer offered in stores. We traditionally add multiple strands of seven(!) colour C6 LED lights and decorate it with predominantly silvery or white decorations including lots of little birds. Adding multitudes of silver icicles and swaths of angel hair turns the tree into a scene from a magical wintry wonderland where a riot of colour can be seen breaking through a haze of snow and ice. Unfortunately, The MAN has never been able to capture the effect with the camera.

Here from happier times are pictures of our tragically departed beautiful little sister Phoebe with her soul mate Blizzard while he still shone brightly:

23-12-2010114016AM.jpg

:(

Here I am with Blizzard:

StyxBlizzard2.jpg

StyxBlizzard.jpg

StyxBlizzard3.jpg

Here's Cowboy with Blizzard:

CowboyBlizzard2.jpg

CowboyBlizzard.jpg

And here's Blizzard out for a breath of fresh air on the front porch with Deuce:

BlizzardDeuce2006.jpg

:cool:

There was a classic New York style candy store on Richmond Street in downtown London, Ontario directly across the street from St. Peter's School where I was obligated by my parents to attend extracurricular language classes between 4:00 and 5:30 Saturday afternoons. Davis Variety was its name. It had the obligatory lunch counter which the fellow worked himself. I was never drawn to get anything at the lunch counter though (not that I would have had the money anyway of course). Unlike the lunch counters at the downtown Metropolitan, Kresge and Woolworths stores, it was pretty spartan and dingy and just didn't appeal to me. Mr. Davis himself was almost a comic book caricature of the old guy working a hot grill and his lunch counter never seemed to have any customers on Saturday afternoons. He probably got the bulk of his business frying up breakfast and lunch for the teachers at St. Peter's. And of course everybody smoked and read newspapers in those days including the teachers and the respective bishops, priests and staff at the adjacent St. Peter's Basilica and St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral.

The Davis Variety had most everything else to tempt a young boy with a quarter or two in his pocket though. It was one of the very few stores I knew that stocked Black Cat Bubble Gum which was licorice flavoured and was somehow chewier than Bazooka or even Dubble Bubble. I remember happily chewing on Black Cat and blowing black bubbles for hours!

ABlackCatgum.jpg

I also very clearly remember buying baseball cards at Davis Variety every so often:

Baseballwrapper.jpg

29-07-201245506PM.jpg

The wooden magazine rack was located on the other side of the store from the lunch counter and was thus well situated to sneak a peak at the insides of the titty mags. There would of course have been something wrong with any little boy who wouldn't glance at pictures of bare naked ladies given a chance. In fact, I'm sure that the priests from St. Peter's and St. Paul's, if not the bishops themselves, would have been taking the occasional peak as well.

It was at the Davis Variety's magazine rack though where I first encountered Green Lantern 26, 28 and 29 and the excitement I felt seeing those issues for the first time is still seared in my mind to this very day. In fact, I'm sure those comics are the reason why I still remember Davis' so vividly.

GreenLantern26.jpg

14-06-2012114624PM.jpg

21-06-2012114247PM.jpg

While St. Peter's and St. Paul's cathedrals are still there, 1979 was the last year for St. Peter's School and the Davis Variety has also been gone for decades. I have a vague recollection of once getting a chocolate milkshake that really wasn't very good at Davis' but sadly I never got to sample a cheeseburger there. You never know what you've got till it's gone.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

I've always been a fan of Shari Lewis and her puppet characters with my two favourites being Wing Ding and Charlie Horse. Here are some pictures of Shari and friends:

Shari16.jpg

Shari.jpg

shari.png

ShariLewis7.jpg

sharilewis_hushpuppy.jpg

Shari13.jpg

Shari27.jpg

Shari3.jpg

Shari8.jpg

Shari9.jpg

Shari5.jpg

Shari15.jpg

Shari2.jpg

Shari11.jpg

Shari20.jpg

And here she is with Ed Sullivan and Topo Gigio:

Shari17.jpg

Here are some shots of my Shari Lewis and Friends thermos:

ShariLewisThermos.jpg

ShariLewisThermos2.jpg

ShariLewisThermos3.jpg

ShariLewisThermos4.jpg

ShariLewisthermos5.jpg

And here are a couple of photos of my Shari Lewis & Friends Colorforms set:

ShariLewisGame.jpg

ShariLewisGame2.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Here are a few pictures from previous years of our Xmas tree:

K1494974A408_1000057.jpg

The tree is a fiber optic one but the motor died last year.

The tree is back to full glory! It wasn't the motor that was burned out but just the transformer, and our next door neighbour still had her transformer even though she pitched her tree two years ago. Great luck that!!

A certain day in early August 1963 was key to instilling a lifelong interest in comics within me. I had set aside any comic buying for nearly a year because my heart was broken when my older sister had convinced my mother to throw out my small stack of comics the previous fall because they were surely going to corrupt me for life. (My sister was of course correct. They did.) On a visit to Ken's Variety on Wharncliffe Road, however, I checked out the spinner rack and saw these comics in all their shiny glory:

Aquaman11.jpg

16-06-2011101211PM.jpg

11-08-2011105159PM.jpg

06-08-201182705PM.jpg

26-05-201175014PM.jpg

02-08-2012113335PM.jpg

14-11-2011120703AM.jpg

I mean how could I resist? Within the next five weeks or so, these comics hit the newstand at Les' Variety which was just a block away on Wortley Road:

10-06-201245013PM.jpg

29-06-201172328PM.jpg

14-10-201171013PM.jpg

03-06-201185514PM.jpg

Well that was it, game, set and match. And now here I am today, still a huge comic fan!

;)

Edited by Hepcat

Yes you did. We interfaced previously in the War comics thread, and I dropped in at your store in London some eighteen months ago when you'd taken the weekend off to attend a comicon in the States.

The Topps You'll Die Laughing cards are a very early collectibles related memory of mine. I recall marvelling at these in the schoolyard in the fall of 1959 when I was in second grade. The Jack Davis artwork gracing the cards was just so right!

04-12-201284652PM.jpg

04-12-201284655PM.jpg

YoullDieLaughingcards.jpg

YoullDieLaughing.jpg

I didn't have any of these You'll Die Laughing myself though because I can't recall seeing any for sale at the half dozen or so variety stores in my general neighbourhood I frequented in those days. It could have been that the controversial subject matter for the time caused most store owners to pass up on them, but any store owner who agreed to take on a box quickly sold every pack so they weren't there on display for long. Nonetheless, it was these You'll Die Laughing cards that put me firmly on the path to becoming a monster kid.

As a result, when the Leaf Spook Stories cards hit store shelves late in 1961 or early in 1962, I was primed and ready! I collected them energetically and within a matter of weeks put together a set:

Spooktheatrefront.jpg

SpookTheatreback.jpg

SpookTheatrestickers.jpg

SpookTheatrewrappers.jpg

SonofSpookwrapper.jpg

Yes you did. We interfaced previously in the War comics thread, and I dropped in at your store in London some eighteen months ago when you'd taken the weekend off to attend a comicon in the States.

We'll have to interface some time again real soon. (thumbs u

The cake was so good that I asked The MAN to buy another one for us:

BlueCake_zps98aee22c.jpg

Here I am with Deuce (red collar) and Ace (green collar):

BlueCakeBlackCats_zpsc265838b.jpg

BlueCakeAceDeuce_zps6469e151.jpg

Cowboy liked this blue one even more than the previous one:

BlueCakeCowboy3_zpsac76654a.jpg

BlueCakeBliss_zpsfce3e6d6.jpg

I've been a fan of the Uncle Remus characters since the Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit newspaper strip that ran Saturdays in the London Free Press until sometime in the late sixties served as my introduction to these characters when I was a kid:

BrerRabbitstrip.jpg

The strip actually began on 14 October 1945 and ran in various newspapers until 31 December 1972. Paul Murry was the initial penciller on the strip but handled the job only until 14 July 1946 at which point he went to work for Western Printing. He was the artist of record for the first Dell comic mag based on Song of the South and also worked on the General Mills Brer Rabbit premium booklets. Murry was succeeded by D ick Moores on the newspaper strip. By the time I encountered it the strip was being pencilled by Riley Thomson (1951-59), under whom Brer Rabbit acquired a less cutesy and more rascally look evident in the example above. Bill Wright (1959-62), Chuck Fuson (1962) and John Ushler (1962-1972) followed on the strip.

I have dozens of copies of the strip in my collection. I also have several of the Golden Press picture books which my buddy Cowboy is looking over here in these pictures:

CowboyBrerRabbit.jpg

UncleRemusBooks.jpg

LittleGoldenBooksUncleRemus.jpg

In addition I have several records and cassettes featuring Brer Rabbit:

TalesofUncleRemus.jpg

SongoftheSouthLP.jpg

BrerRabbitandtheTarBabyRecord.jpg

SongoftheSouthCassette.jpg

And here are my Brer Rabbit comics:

FourColor208.jpg

FourColor693.jpg

BrerRabbit.jpg

Best of all is this custom stained glass window featuring Brer Fox and Flower from Bambi in the door beside my model cabinet leading from my collectibles room to the upstairs balcony:

StainedGlassWindow.jpg

BrerRabbitstainedglass.jpg

This is the original image on which the stained glass window is based:

brerfox_zps960f7bde.jpg

And hanging on the opposite wall from the stained glass window is the original art for the 1972 rerelease of the "Song of the South" movie poster which I acquired through a Hake's auction about five years ago:

BrerRabbitposter.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

My neighbour from across the street is the star drummer of Tennessee Voodoo Coupe which was playing the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Car Show last weekend. He brought this very cool T-shirt back for me:

RatFink_zpsc3a69a30.jpg

StyxRatFink3_zpsd80552b6.jpg

StyxRatFink2_zps68fd3a75.jpg

StyxRatFink4_zps14e665a4.jpg

Cowboy of course wants to borrow it!

CowboyRatfink_zpse5a832f7.jpg

My neighbour from across the street is the star drummer of Tennessee Voodoo Coupe which was playing the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Car Show last weekend. He brought this very cool T-shirt back for me:

That is a nice gesture considering all the poop you probably leave in their garden. ;)