• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Does any of this come as a shock to anyone???

You're a total finger wagging, know it all, jerk off sometimes. In cases like this it's better to just not say anything than show everyone how right you can be.

Its funny that you take this "holier than thou" attitude. I'm SOOO sorry that someone you befriended on the internet has turned out to be a lazy loser.

Yup....said it point blank: Chip is a loser. No other way around it.

He preys on others using his self-inflicted poor choices and when people, out of the kindness of their hearts decide to help them, he continues to be his worst enemy.

How long do you throw good money at bad problems? How many people does he continue to deceive until people actually get it?!

And for the record, you can kiss my ! You think you're so much better b/c you fail to call a spade a spade....or that you'll "help out a fellow man." Well I have the balls to say exactly how it is. And it's not one time, or two times...its YEARS... YEARS of Chip cheating and manipulating people.

Theft....yes, it is theft. When you buy something and hold the items for weeks/months/years in some cases...then yeah, that's theft.

So you keep on walking the straight and narrow. You keep on thinking you're better. You're not better than anyone.....and yeah, I'll continue to rail on your Facebook friend....

B/c at the end of the day, he's nothing more than a leech who's admitted on more than one occasion that he's too lazy and unmotivated to MAN up and do what's necessary.

Does any of this come as a shock to anyone???

You're a total finger wagging, know it all, jerk off sometimes. In cases like this it's better to just not say anything than show everyone how right you can be.

To everyone else, for what it's worth, I haven't kept in touch much with Chip since our last dealings earlier this year but I am Facebook friends with him and I've seen postings of how things are for him.

I have had extensive dealings with Chip over the past year and had zero issues financially so I don't think he's trying to rip anyone off.

Most of you know that Chip has been in a rough patch for some time now and I'd suggest keeping that in mind when dealing with him. Many of you know that he's dealing with depression and he's also been evicted out of his place, lost a job and had a split up with his partner who he shares a daughter with - all within the last two years or so.

There have been other people who have fallen on hard times in this place and the forum has stepped up to help them without dragging them through the mud.

You're free to respond however you feel you need to but I thought the above was worth posting.

I agree. My biggest problem was his answers. He kept telling me that he will get to them ASAP. I told him that it doesn't seem to be a huge priority for him and his answer, still, was he will get them out ASAP.

It doesn't sit well when people have to keep inquiring over a period of time to try to get information about what is going on. Even if he would have initiated contact letting people know what is going on and why the delays, rather than leaving people in the dark, this could have gone over better.

Am I incorrect in remembering that Chip finally admitted to having mental health issues? That he hit rock bottom for a while last year and was hospitalized and was being treated for them?

One of the symptoms of depression is the inability to get your act together. One of the problems with mental health issues and dealing with someone with them, is you never know when the person stops going for treatment, taking meds, etc. I know we often joke about people being "off their meds", but in reality it's a problem.

Having had a family member who had serious issues, I know there is really no way to know if something is being treated, or if they've decided to 'self treat" unless they are in a facility, and even then, you can't always tell. The person may sound perfectly rational, speak intelligently, desperately need help, while all the while to them, 2+2 really equals 7 and they believe that sincerely.

I certainly wouldn't call a person having those issues names, the problems are most likely not just excuses, but a problem that is as real an illness that prevents them from completing things, to that person as you contracting something like pneumonia (not that I'm wishing that on you, but it's an example) and just not being able to follow through. The illness is just not something that you can see as easily.

I'd also be reluctant to deal with them UNLESS I knew when I bought something, I was most likely just making a donation and not expecting anything in return and I'd be reluctant to make too large a donation, because it probably won't go to really provide the kind of help they need.

I hope Chip goes back to the place where he was getting medical help and he continues to do so, until he can handle being on his own.

well, I am not active on the board over the past 4 years and I didn't pay attention...that is on me for buying from Chip and sending him a personal check for $125.

whatever the reasons or excuses are, not much to do or can do.

I would like to nominate Chip for probation. It has been at least 30 since he confirmed he got my payment. I sent him numerous requests about shipping of books and his answers were that he would get to them ASAP. I have had to initiate every contact and now I hear nothing from him.

I don't have a lot of money as I am on disability. I knew that Chip was in need of help and have been buying books from him for quite a while from here and on Ebay. I believe in helping out fellow man and did the best I could for him and his family. I am going forward with this because it tisn't that difficult to keep in contact with people, I had to keep chasing him, and let them know what is going on. In good faith I sent him a money order, which he acknowledged getting, and has failed to meet his requirement to send books.

I have sent him notice two days ago I would be nominating him.

Sadly I think Chip needs to go on the PL. Looks like the rules were followed and he was notified and failed to respond, regardless of his personal circumstances. Between this and the other folks who have come forward in the last couple of days I think enough just cause has been presented.

No excuse for having the time to update Facebook but not have the time to get in touch with folks here whose funds he took. I don't think the folks that came forward hoped for the best when paying for an item and were ok with not receiving anything as others may be.

If/when Chip pulls it together and wants to sell and/or buy on the boards again he can works towards getting himself off the PL. PL is appropriate given his circumstances although I'm sure many will think this is HOS behavior and they wouldn't be wrong.

Am I incorrect in remembering that Chip finally admitted to having mental health issues? That he hit rock bottom for a while last year and was hospitalized and was being treated for them?

One of the symptoms of depression is the inability to get your act together. One of the problems with mental health issues and dealing with someone with them, is you never know when the person stops going for treatment, taking meds, etc. I know we often joke about people being "off their meds", but in reality it's a problem.

Having had a family member who had serious issues, I know there is really no way to know if something is being treated, or if they've decided to 'self treat" unless they are in a facility, and even then, you can't always tell. The person may sound perfectly rational, speak intelligently, desperately need help, while all the while to them, 2+2 really equals 7 and they believe that sincerely.

I certainly wouldn't call a person having those issues names, the problems are most likely not just excuses, but a problem that is as real an illness that prevents them from completing things, to that person as you contracting something like pneumonia (not that I'm wishing that on you, but it's an example) and just not being able to follow through. The illness is just not something that you can see as easily.

I'd also be reluctant to deal with them UNLESS I knew when I bought something, I was most likely just making a donation and not expecting anything in return and I'd be reluctant to make too large a donation, because it probably won't go to really provide the kind of help they need.

I hope Chip goes back to the place where he was getting medical help and he continues to do so, until he can handle being on his own.

How old is Chip?

I would like to nominate Chip for probation. It has been at least 30 since he confirmed he got my payment. I sent him numerous requests about shipping of books and his answers were that he would get to them ASAP. I have had to initiate every contact and now I hear nothing from him.

I don't have a lot of money as I am on disability. I knew that Chip was in need of help and have been buying books from him for quite a while from here and on Ebay. I believe in helping out fellow man and did the best I could for him and his family. I am going forward with this because it tisn't that difficult to keep in contact with people, I had to keep chasing him, and let them know what is going on. In good faith I sent him a money order, which he acknowledged getting, and has failed to meet his requirement to send books.

I have sent him notice two days ago I would be nominating him.

Sadly I think Chip needs to go on the PL. Looks like the rules were followed and he was notified and failed to respond, regardless of his personal circumstances. Between this and the other folks who have come forward in the last couple of days I think enough just cause has been presented.

No excuse for having the time to update Facebook but not have the time to get in touch with folks here whose funds he took. I don't think the folks that came forward hoped for the best when paying for an item and were ok with not receiving anything as others may be.

If/when Chip pulls it together and wants to sell and/or buy on the boards again he can works towards getting himself off the PL. PL is appropriate given his circumstances although I'm sure many will think this is HOS behavior and they wouldn't be wrong.

I agree with all of this. With all due consideration given to Chip`s personal struggles, the PL is appropriate precisely because it is not about moral judgment, it is about getting transactions completed, and until that happens the PL serves as a community service.

It is also to be remembered that the PL is a right of recourse for those out of pocket and out of patience. Assuming on the face of it the transactions are otherwise documented and legit, and we have no reason to think otherwise, than when the clock ticks down the person nominated goes on the list.

That's an admirable stance to take. However, the only information we have regarding all of those potential "issues" are coming from the same person who is having trouble being straight with people. So just because that's what he said happened, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what did happen. Especially since the purported hospitalization, diagnosis, prescription and release were within such a short time period that my friends in the medical profession, when told of the timeline, had reactions ranging from incredulity to laughing out loud.

The gofundme began with a number needed to "avoid eviction" but it quickly became clear that it was a stipend to pay all of his bills for several months after avoiding eviction.. When called on the math he changed the story quite a few times.

So, at this point, I'm not taking anything he says at face value. None of it.

How old is Chip?

I believe he's in his early 40's. 42-ish?

That's an admirable stance to take. However, the only information we have regarding all of those potential "issues" are coming from the same person who is having trouble being straight with people. So just because that's what he said happened, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what did happen. Especially since the purported hospitalization, diagnosis, prescription and release were within such a short time period that my friends in the medical profession, when told of the timeline, had restions ranging from incredulity to laughing out loud.

The gofundme began with a number needed to "avoid eviction" but it quickly became clear that it was a stipend to pay all of his bills for several months after avoiding eviction.. When called on the math he changed the story quite a few times.

So, at this point, I'm not taking anything he says at face value. None of it.

While I don't know the exact details of Chip's situation, I've known a few people that were hospitalized due to depression/fear of harming themselves. From the experience that I have, they'll usually hold people like this in a crisis or mental health ward for 72 hours before they'll allow that person to release themselves. The "short time" you mention is very much in line with standard practices from what I've seen.

I am going to weigh in here...

I felt for the guy in the beginning. I really did. I won several things on eBay from him that I really did not need and bid up even more trying to win others in the process. I've chatted with him and offered an ear and counsel.

Yes, I understand what goes on with someone who faces depression and other similar obstacles. I almost married someone that was afflicted with it. It took her through ups and downs that are indescribable especially when SHE decided to take breaks from her medication because she thought she was better.

I am sorry Sharon and I am sorry Roy but my gut feeling is that this is not what is going on here. I do not think that Chip is being honest with any of us. To me, family is everything. I have been arm and arm with mine and been at war with them. When push comes to shove, we will still help each other out because that is what family does.

Some real mess must have gone down with Chip and his family that he has no one to turn to. That sends a big flag up to me. Someone I grew up with is currently appealing to all of her "friends from HS and the neighborhood" on facebook because she is eight months pregnant, has no job, about to get evicted and has no one to turn to. I know a little more about her than others. Her mother, sister, father, brother, and all of her family, have deleted all pictures and acknowledgement of her on their facebook pages. They will not discuss her nor have anything to do with her. Why? She is a violent, drug addicted, pathological, lying, trainwreck of an individual. They have tried to help her for the past twenty years and cannot continue to tear their own families apart over it.

This is an instance where someone has taken the money and run. There is a repeated history across a few message boards and trading exchanges that demonstrate that no matter the cause of the problem, this is a pattern of behavior on Chip's end. If this were anyone else, he would end up on the probation list.

How long are we to facilitate this pattern of behavior and make excuses for it? How many charity threads should be started for this guy to support his bad decision making? This is not a brain tumor or another medical issue. This is not someone fighting for their life of their child. MANY boardies ranging from Shadroch, the entirety of the Water Cooler, Roy, myself and others have tried to offer advice and help him. This is someone, who in his 40's, at the end of the day cannot take the help he has been given and make something of it. This is someone who I feel, repeatedly lies to us. He is deceitful to us and due to his actions has lost all credibility.

Roy and Sharon, this may be an open discussion here, but there are well respected boardies laughing about this behind the scenes. "Here we go again!" "Chip Cataldo again."

I am not falling for the 'again' aspect.

The guy has earned his way onto the probation list. I fully support him being put on the list and if it leads to it, put in the Hall of Shame. I for one will not send a single cent his way nor support any activity that encourages others to send him money.

Once he is put on the probation list and the hall of shame I already know what is going to happen. He will move to another message board and the whole routine will start again.

If Chip is reading this, and I suspect he is because we already know he is active...

As a forum member of www.hisstank.com (Home of the GI Joe buying and selling) and www.tfw2005.com (Transformers)

Welcome to the Boards...

I patiently await to see how it plays out once he eventually moves there.