• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I only have a couple of folks on ignore (no one in this conversation, for the record) but the irony is that even though I am "ignoring" them, I still find myself constantly expanding their blocked posts so I can "see what this insufficiently_thoughtful_person is saying now."

So, clearly, I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I've ignored a few folks. The most popular criteria are:

- posting every single freaking thought that crosses the poster's mind (yeah, him lol )

- posting 10 copies of visually identical comics in 'this week in your collection' (yeah, him, lol )

- posting multiple consecutive posts in the same thread because you have to respond separately to everyone and can't let ANYTHING go (yeah, him lol )

- something that offends me (if I can't see it I won't be tempted to argue with it)

The people that I won't buy from or sell to are on ignore. Just to remind me.

I've done that. It's become more important with the increasing instances of guys who mess up and then change their names several times.

I put myself on ignore from time to time.

I wish I could do that. A lot of my posts are sooo stupid! :cry:

Come to think of it, though, I only write them; I don't have to read them. hm

- posting multiple consecutive posts in the same thread because you have to respond separately to everyone and can't let ANYTHING go (yeah, him lol )

Good to know. Added another one to my list.

Yes, responding to people in separate posts is awful.

(Insert scream meme here.)

:cloud9:

There are some people that I discover that I have on ignore, and I've totally forgotten who they are and why I put them on ignore.

Usually, it's because I found out they put me on ignore, and then forgot I did so.

Some of those people have even taken me off ignore.

:D

(No, I don't habitually check, but if someone says something, like AJD up there, that raises suspicion, I'll check...usually my gut is right.)

I've done that. It's become more important with the increasing instances of guys who mess up and then change their names several times.

I do it too. Eliminates the need to keep a list off boards. Of course, I have other people on ignore for other reasons. I refuse to do business with those people as well. If I don't want to interact with you, why would I want to buy from you or sell to you?

And yes, that means I sometimes miss a comic or two but it's all good because I don't subscribe to Cool Books

Hey, I'm looking for some advice here.

In October, I started what I intended to be my largest sale ever. Had a few dozen items listed, and about $200 in sales when my mother passed away quite unexpectedly. Soon after something else came up, and I just was not in the mood to continue the sale or ship many of the items already sold. To be clear- each and every item I invoiced out and got paid for was shipped. One item was invoiced but never paid for so it didn't ship and about a dozen items were not invoiced, not paid for and not shipped.

I fully recognize the fact I screwed up and will be reaching out to the people who ordered books but didn't get an invoice. They will have the choice of taking the books at a steep discount or forgetting about it but still get a future discount or some other way of making it up to them.

So my idea for this upcoming sale would be something radical.

To insure the books go out in a timely manner, I'm thinking about making this sale a pay after delivery sale. You pick the books you want, I ship them and when they arrive, you pay me via paypal. Obviously I am not going to do this for a person whose first post in in the sales thread, so what do you think a qualifier should be? I'm thinking along the lines of they must be a member for around 90 days, with 200 posts, or multiple good kudos. I'm sure there can be some exceptions made for long time lurkers.

This will be mainly $2 or less books, TPBs and HCs and such. Not books worth hundreds of dollars.

Thoughts? Insults? Questions?

Hey, I'm looking for some advice here.

In October, I started what I intended to be my largest sale ever. Had a few dozen items listed, and about $200 in sales when my mother passed away quite unexpectedly. Soon after something else came up, and I just was not in the mood to continue the sale or ship many of the items already sold. To be clear- each and every item I invoiced out and got paid for was shipped. One item was invoiced but never paid for so it didn't ship and about a dozen items were not invoiced, not paid for and not shipped.

I fully recognize the fact I screwed up and will be reaching out to the people who ordered books but didn't get an invoice. They will have the choice of taking the books at a steep discount or forgetting about it but still get a future discount or some other way of making it up to them.

So my idea for this upcoming sale would be something radical.

To insure the books go out in a timely manner, I'm thinking about making this sale a pay after delivery sale. You pick the books you want, I ship them and when they arrive, you pay me via paypal. Obviously I am not going to do this for a person whose first post in in the sales thread, so what do you think a qualifier should be? I'm thinking along the lines of they must be a member for around 90 days, with 200 posts, or multiple good kudos. I'm sure there can be some exceptions made for long time lurkers.

This will be mainly $2 or less books, TPBs and HCs and such. Not books worth hundreds of dollars.

Thoughts? Insults? Questions?

Why give the incentive of paying after the delivery? Unless I'm missing something, you seem to be a respectable boardie in good standings. So you went through some stuff and had to let the message board slide a bit...most reasonable people here wouldn't hold it against you. I think if you do go through with the pay after delivery idea, it is just setting up for problems.

Sorry about your Mom, that must be difficult.

As for shipping before payment, if you need that much incentive to ship in a timely manner, maybe selling just isn't for you.

I do it too. Eliminates the need to keep a list off boards. Of course, I have other people on ignore for other reasons. I refuse to do business with those people as well. If I don't want to interact with you, why would I want to buy from you or sell to you?

And yes, that means I sometimes miss a comic or two but it's all good because I don't subscribe to Cool Books

I'm not a fan of lists. I recognize that all of us have a basic right to want to avoid people we dislike, but in some sense it is a luxury feature of a message board and imo it is not a positive feature.

Concretely speaking it is inconsistent to run a sales forum where in every other respect buyers and sellers are held to strict standards of public obligation and yet in that which is most basic to real time commerce, the service of the public without discrimination, we have an ignore function to filter the clientele by personal whim.

If it happened because of a death in the family I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to make amends for the past sales thread, just reach out to those people and give them the option to take the books that you never invoiced them for or to pass on them freely. That should help make peace on that front.

As far as moving forward, just follow through with the entire sales thread to the end - meaning invoice and ship all books that are spoken/paid for.

Seems like a simple matter to me.

If it happened because of a death in the family I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to make amends for the past sales thread, just reach out to those people and give them the option to take the books that you never invoiced them for or to pass on them freely. That should help make peace on that front.

As far as moving forward, just follow through with the entire sales thread to the end - meaning invoice and ship all books that are spoken/paid for.

Seems like a simple matter to me.

+1

Starting a "pay after delivery" sales thread seems like it would cause unnecessary complications.

Besides, that wouldn't address the "problem" from your previous sales thread, anyway. A "pay after delivery" thread might be worth some consideration to rebuild confidence if you had taken money, and THEN not shipped.

But that wasn't the issue...in your case, you never invoiced for books that were claimed in the thread (which is a far lesser offense, and completely forgivable given the extenuating circumstances). "Pay after delivery" doesn't speak to this problem.

I'm not a fan of lists. I recognize that all of us have a basic right to want to avoid people we dislike, but in some sense it is a luxury feature of a message board and imo it is not a positive feature.

Concretely speaking it is inconsistent to run a sales forum where in every other respect buyers and sellers are held to strict standards of public obligation and yet in that which is most basic to real time commerce, the service of the public without discrimination, we have an ignore function to filter the clientele by personal whim.

In most American states, it is only illegal to discriminate in a retail setting if the discrimination is on the basis of race, sex, national origin etc. it historically has been, and continues to be, legal to discriminate based upon the actions of the prospective buyer. So rudeness, stupidity, prior bad acts etc. are all acceptable bases for legal discrimination.