• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,359 posts in this topic

Any fans of the good old fashion Technodrome around here?

SplinterShreddered_zps3ea460ff.jpg

I was able to pick up this old school VHS cover as well as a few others. I'm soooo :cloud9: right now! You can see the rest of them here.

:o(worship) So much nostalgia right there! I must have owned every one of those VHS collections when I was a kid.

Any fans of the good old fashion Technodrome around here?

SplinterShreddered_zps3ea460ff.jpg

I was able to pick up this old school VHS cover as well as a few others. I'm soooo :cloud9: right now! You can see the rest of them here.

:o(worship) So much nostalgia right there! I must have owned every one of those VHS collections when I was a kid.

Its pretty freaking sweet. You know I believe Danny has the Incredible Shrinking Turtles art for sale on his CAF :gossip:

I know I'm a bit late to this party but…

As a kid, I was a huge Turtles fan. Almost every year for Halloween I was a Ninja Turtle until I was ten.

For some reason, I missed out on the comics. Well, the last few days that changed. I picked up The Ultimate Collection that had been out of stock on Amazon. It was a fun ride.

The space traveling was a little odd, but it was interesting. I wish we'd gotten to know each turtle a bit better in the early issues. However, Eastman gives breakdowns of each issues and he mentions that there are more like the Raph issues in a later collection.

I'm thinking I should pick up the next collection…

Space travel may seem a bit odd to those who are familiar with the first 2 movies that was more based around street crime, but the sci-fi bit fits in very well with the turtles. The ooze that mutated them is a by-product of using the trans-mat device...a teleporter invented by the Fugitoid/Dr. Honeycutt. The Fugitoid is a major character in the TMNT universe and he only became a "fugitoid" because some warring factions were pursuing him. I'd be a little disappointed if we never saw those warring factions. And besides, tell me the TMNT vs. the Triceratons in the arena wasn't awesome.

Also, the canister of ooze that mutated them was labeled "TCRI" or Techno Cosmic Research Institute. In the movies, it was "TGRI" (for reasons that escape me right now). Though the acronym was never expanded in the movie, conceivably, it would change the word "Cosmic" to "Galactic". Either way, space travel heavily influences the TMNT universe.

I know I'm a bit late to this party but…

As a kid, I was a huge Turtles fan. Almost every year for Halloween I was a Ninja Turtle until I was ten.

For some reason, I missed out on the comics. Well, the last few days that changed. I picked up The Ultimate Collection that had been out of stock on Amazon. It was a fun ride.

The space traveling was a little odd, but it was interesting. I wish we'd gotten to know each turtle a bit better in the early issues. However, Eastman gives breakdowns of each issues and he mentions that there are more like the Raph issues in a later collection.

I'm thinking I should pick up the next collection…

Space travel may seem a bit odd to those who are familiar with the first 2 movies that was more based around street crime, but the sci-fi bit fits in very well with the turtles. The ooze that mutated them is a by-product of using the trans-mat device...a teleporter invented by the Fugitoid/Dr. Honeycutt. The Fugitoid is a major character in the TMNT universe and he only became a "fugitoid" because some warring factions were pursuing him. I'd be a little disappointed if we never saw those warring factions. And besides, tell me the TMNT vs. the Triceratons in the arena wasn't awesome.

Also, the canister of ooze that mutated them was labeled "TCRI" or Techno Cosmic Research Institute. In the movies, it was "TGRI" (for reasons that escape me right now). Though the acronym was never expanded in the movie, conceivably, it would change the word "Cosmic" to "Galactic". Either way, space travel heavily influences the TMNT universe.

Yea I guess it makes sense now. There is a lot of space and time travel in the early book which I didn't expect. I'm in the second Ultimate Collection now and still enjoying it. I like the Microverse books that focus on one character. They make for a fun read.

The book has a good feel to it though and I'm enjoying it.

i think they changed it to "TGRI" to keep away from any alien influence, of course i could be wrong

That could be, but I'm not sure most people even associate "TCRI" with aliens. I think most assume it's just some random chemical company.

I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard a rumor of a possible twist ending to the 2nd TMNT movie (Secret of the Ooze) where Professor Perry would have been revealed at the end to be an utrom in a human suit. I'm not sure how the special effects would have been, but I'm sure the result would have been much better than the third installment we actually ended up with. :sick:

i think they changed it to "TGRI" to keep away from any alien influence, of course i could be wrong

That could be, but I'm not sure most people even associate "TCRI" with aliens. I think most assume it's just some random chemical company.

I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard a rumor of a possible twist ending to the 2nd TMNT movie (Secret of the Ooze) where Professor Perry would have been revealed at the end to be an utrom in a human suit. I'm not sure how the special effects would have been, but I'm sure the result would have been much better than the third installment we actually ended up with. :sick:

I believe I read that on Wikipedia. They changed the villains in the show and didn't want to confuse people because the show was more popular than the comic at the time.

I've been reading the current book from the beginning. I'm REALLY enjoying it. It's great to see so many throwbacks to previous versions of the TMNT. Krang is in a suit and there's even a modified version of the weird suit he used in the 80's cartoon, complete with strange glasses and head-prongs. Bebop and Rocksteady also make an appearance as the the Neutrinos. You've also got Hun, who first showed up in the 2K4 episodes and has since gained traction. I'm about to finish City Fall. It's been a great ride so far.

My biggest gripe is

that the turtles have only been mutated anthropomorphic turtles for a little over a year. Even though we're to believe that they're reincarnated versions of human children taught by Hamato Yoshi, they were killed when they were very young and it doesn't seem like enough time to become proficient in combat at the level they need to be. In the original series and most other incarnations, they had been mutated for 15 years. They started training from a very young age and had intensive practices with a ninja master (Splinter) nearly every day. I know, I know...a story about mutated talking ninja turtles and the training is where I get hung up. :insane:

I've been reading the current book from the beginning. I'm REALLY enjoying it. It's great to see so many throwbacks to previous versions of the TMNT. Krang is in a suit and there's even a modified version of the weird suit he used in the 80's cartoon, complete with strange glasses and head-prongs. Bebop and Rocksteady also make an appearance as the the Neutrinos. You've also got Hun, who first showed up in the 2K4 episodes and has since gained traction. I'm about to finish City Fall. It's been a great ride so far.

My biggest gripe is

that the turtles have only been mutated anthropomorphic turtles for a little over a year. Even though we're to believe that they're reincarnated versions of human children taught by Hamato Yoshi, they were killed when they were very young and it doesn't seem like enough time to become proficient in combat at the level they need to be. In the original series and most other incarnations, they had been mutated for 15 years. They started training from a very young age and had intensive practices with a ninja master (Splinter) nearly every day. I know, I know...a story about mutated talking ninja turtles and the training is where I get hung up. :insane:

See I only read from issue 28 up or so. I was unaware of the drastically changed origins. Interesting...

See I only read from issue 28 up or so. I was unaware of the drastically changed origins. Interesting...

I read up to City Fall and haven't gone back since. I am too much of a volume 1 mirage pre-madonna to stomach the content. I barely watched the "OT" and mainly read the comics over and over. Volume 5 isn't bad per se, but I can't latch onto it. I feel there is too much being brought in from too many story lines, but that's just me..

However, my statement really only speaks to the story's direction and writing, the art has been pretty good for the most part.

---

And yes, TCRI was changed to steer clear of the "alien" perpesctive. I beleive that the comic based TCRI had been harboring Utroms for many years veiled behind the technology TCRI had possesed. It would make sense to omit that for the movies.

Wouldn't it have been real funny if M. Bay had tried to bring TCRI back into play, yet swearing up and down the turtles weren't going to be extra-terrestrial...?

Edited by sofistocat

Are we talking about the IDW series because it was really good and I was enjoying it up until I hit the teens and than sold the series for some cash to place it in another comic I was chasing... A Turtlemania #1 CGC copy. :grin:

A much better investment IMO.

Speaking of CGC, has anyone ever heard of Peter Laird's "Barbaric Fantasy" #1(the magazine sized book) getting slabbed? I spoke to them this morning and it seems they may not accept the book for grading. I'm trying to find clarification. There was a concern, of CGC's, whether they could authenticate the book I have. I understand this, but don't enough about grading/authentication to even make a guesstimate of what may happen if I submit the book. I will have the option to get BF witnessed come FCBD, but am now concerned if the book would even get a blue label w/o the sig.

Thanks in advance for any help

Wouldn't it just be graded under the magazine tier?

Edit: Oh, right. CGC may not grade this because it was hand-stapled I believe? They tend to stay away from books like that because it's hard to tell authetics from fakes.

Edited by Ryan.