• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For $750 in shipping he had better take a plane to NY and hand deliver it to me

83 posts in this topic

What is the advantage of a seller pretending to have no idea what they have?

It's supposed to make you drool over the notion that you may have found a rube whose comics you can buy for a song. And, they're hoping it'll provide cover after they rip you off and you report them. "Duh, I didn't know funny books was worth moneys!!!"

That is what I was wondering. This kind of thing seems so easy to see through though. This little technique probably worked way better 30 years ago when people didn't have the Internet to research things.

There's got to be someone local who can message him and ask to see it in person. the response to that request would be priceless!

Even just getting the CGC # from him should be impossible, but might be worth a try.

There's got to be someone local who can message him and ask to see it in person. the response to that request would be priceless!

Done and done (and I really do live pretty close to him).

:applause:

Let's see what he says!

Love to meet up with you but I'm busy looking into another storage locker where I hope to find an Action 1...

While I doubt the book was found in a storage locker, who would be dumb enough to leave a slabbed AF 15 in a storage locker. Buy a damn briefcase if you need portable storage.

On the other hand I will say some people are dumb when making an auction look fake or shady. I bought an AF 15 from a seller on E bay that could'nt figure out how to get a clean shot of the Serial numbers. I emailed and got the numbers and it checked out. I think it scared people away because you could'nt read the numbers.

If its the real deal someone is likely going to get a deal because the seller has made things look kind of shady

Here's a listing for an "Encore Thrift Store" in Barrington, RI:

http://www.thriftstorelistings.com/profile/Encore/77975

Not sure if that's the same guy or not (the auction lists the item location as "North Providence"). Anyway, it might be worth a trip for someone in the area. Google maps does show a small strip plaza at roughly that address...with what appears to be a big "Self Storage" complex behind it!

This would not be the seller. If you look up the thrift store (Encore) for the link above it is in the basement of St Johns Episcopal Church. They are just selling clothes.

Edited by Tony S

Done and done (and I really do live pretty close to him).

Dude, no CSS???

heritage =0952032001

Ebay

spiderman.jpg

Still think this smells funny

Do you think if you were selling a 11000$ book you could invest in a 50 $ camera to take a clear picture ?

Edited by gyro-1

Certainly looks like the same book....

So, let's supose someone decides to take a flyer and wins a $50,000+ book for $25,000.

And then let's presume that there is no book in the package sent to the buyer.

Doesn't Paypal Buyer Protection cover the buyer for the full purchase price and original S&H??

I would think that this isn't a rare occurence and Paypal has been stuck numerous times. What am I missing here????