• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I know Larrys comic should not be worth more points then #1 first print of Chew! Damn straight! Gemma said she got a phone call from someone and they told her Larrys comic was very very rare and hard to find! HUH LMAO!!! I wonder who that someone is? Larrys Comic was like a 3rd print if you ask me according to the date of release...

Chew #1, 1st print, June 2009

Chew #1, 2nd print, July 2009

Chew #1, 3rd print, Aug 2009

Chew #1, Larrys , Aug 2009

It looks like Larry's version came out the same time as the 3rd print. Where does that leave this book?

Is release date the only criteria? (shrug)

I don't know, but I would think a purposely low-print dealer's copy of a book shouldn't be worth more than a 1st printing of the introduction issue. It's like the Larry's copy of Stuff of Legend #2. Nice to have - no way should it be worth more than the 1st print #2.

(shrug)

have to agree however dont forget chew #4 second print..

So are you the main lobbyist in changing the Chew point structure? Seems to me there is no shortage of any printing.

Uh-ohhhhhh.

Only 3 points from the lead spot.

The heat is on.

:o

:roflmao:

I love a great competition.

Go get 'em, folks!

I know Larrys comic should not be worth more points then #1 first print of Chew! Damn straight! Gemma said she got a phone call from someone and they told her Larrys comic was very very rare and hard to find! HUH LMAO!!! I wonder who that someone is? Larrys Comic was like a 3rd print if you ask me according to the date of release...

Chew #1, Larrys , Aug 2009

It looks like Larry's version came out the same time as the 3rd print. Where does that leave this book?

Is release date the only criteria? (shrug)

I don't know, but I would think a purposely low-print dealer's copy of a book shouldn't be worth more than a 1st printing of the introduction issue. It's like the Larry's copy of Stuff of Legend #2. Nice to have - no way should it be worth more than the 1st print #2.

(shrug)

Fair enough. So you're suggesting changing the registry's philosophy and not just Chew?

Fair enough. So you're suggesting changing the registry's philosophy and not just Chew?

Correct in that it is not just a Chew situation. That would be unfair to the series.

Invincibles, Stuff of Legend, Chew - Larry's version of an issue should never come up as more valuable. It does the intro issues an injustice to say they are worth less via points.

But for a completest, of course they would want these issues posted in the registry. I wouldn't expect otherwise as it is a variant version, after all.

Correct in that it is not just a Chew situation. That would be unfair to the series.

Invincibles, Stuff of Legend, Chew - Larry's version of an issue should never come up as more valuable. It does the intro issues an injustice to say they are worth less via points.

But for a completest, of course they would want these issues posted in the registry. I don't blame them at all for that.

I tend to agree with you. I actually did not notice the Larry edition as having a higher point structure. I don't actually understand why there is not a mathematical formula for the whole registry. That being said I would hope either they all change or none of them change. Atleast keep the philosophy consistent.

Jeff I too stand to lose valuable points here as I also have a Chew larrys variant. The only reason I have it is due to the fact as its needed to complete the collection. Any comic shop can have a logo stamped on a cover at a cost. Wonderworld has this done all the time and I have no interest.

I will say that atleast for Chew there is more than just a store stamp. The cover is actually significantly different. Even with that though I still stand by what I said.

I don't see any diff, Its just a store logo w/ no color.. Other then that its the same cover and no changed art work at all. Maybe if Tony was holding the Gun in his other hand or picking his nose you could argue that fact...

But your entitled to your opinion... Have a nice night everybody! By the way how did your exam go? Hope you did well!

Thanks I think I did.

I'm not arguing about the differences. It just seems to me some of these stores are getting lazy with just slapping a logo on there. True the Chew is just no colour but it seems to me Marvel has been referring to them as sketch variants for awhile.

Here is what I sent Gemma on Chew 1 Larry's Comics being listed in the registry as worth more points than a Chew 1 first print.

Evening Gemma.

A few of us were discussing a potential points discrepancy in the Chew thread.

Chew 1 Larry Comics Edition

40 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st printing

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry Edition

When you look at the publication dates on Chew, Larry Comics Edition came out around the same time as Chew 1, third printing.

Chew #1, Larry Comics , Aug 2009

These issues are reprints with the Larry's Comics logo on the cover. That store has also done this with Stuff of Legends, Invincibles, Image United and other books. When you check GPA, they go for much less than 1st printings. For some reason in the registry, the Larry's Comics printing is worth more points than a 1st printing of Chew #1.

I'd like to recommend Chew 1 Larry's Edition be the same points as a third printing, as Chew 1 first printing is much more sought after. I'd even suggest making Chew 1 first printing worth more points than it is right now as someone paid $1,150 for a CGC 10.0 on eBay recently.

Chew 1 CGC 10.0, 1st printing

Just a suggestion to help keep things even and fair to the original issues.

All the best, and thanks again for all your support.

Nick

Were there more larry's comics than third print comics or was it the other way round? I would have thought the larry's edition would be worth more points than the third print but I agree on all fronts that the first print should always be worth more points than any subsequent printings. I like the Larry's edition as it's the only non first print of any chew issues that isn't simply a change in title colour. (shrug)

I like the Larry's edition as it's the only non first print of any chew issues that isn't simply a change in title colour. (shrug)

(thumbs u

At least they go this far in including a different cover.

To be fair, I think the way to explain these Larry's Comics editions are variants of later printings. They are still great to have if you are trying to collect every copy of a book.

I agree to that.... If nothing is done I will pay my comic shop to put together another printing of only 100 copies and sit on them all.. I wonder how many points that would be worth... Hopefully it wont come to that and this issue will be resolved.

• Administrator

So, I see my registry thread is not working...y'all are down here discussin' ;)

I should mention that there may be lurkers in the registry thread who do not realize this, though, so you might want to make your final points in that thread too.

I'll check both throughout the week to see how its going, though. Also, if you (collectively) would like to suggest the new scoring amounts I am definitely willing to consider them. :)