Page 1 of 377 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#677111 - 02/12/05 12:37 PM Centaur Comics
jbcomicbox Offline
Chatzilla


Registered: 03/21/03
Posts: 2455
'Centaur Comics" sort of have their own little niche. There is some sort of mystical allure to them. Tough to get, this scarcity holds back, in my view, demand. Centaurs actually started in March 1938. For the longest time other books were called Centaurs altho published by Chesler (Star Comics, Star Ranger Comics) or by Cook/Mahon or Ultem (Comic Magazine/Funny Pages, Dectective Picture Stories, Funny Picture Stories, Western Picture Stories).

The pre-Centaurs were as ground breaking - if not more so- than pre-Superman DCs. The hardcore Centaur titles are notable for the work of the Jacquet Funnies Inc artists- Burgos, Everett, Gustavson, Thompson, etc- who would produce all the early Timely work. I will start a thread of these incredible books....I apologize if this has been done before. But I believe "seeing leads to believing" and a source of knowledge of these foundational titles....Enjoy

First up is the Phantom of the Fair by the UNDERRATED GA artist Paul Gustavson



Gustavson also created this classic Amazing Man cover---does not get much better than this




Attachments
719659-1scanaman22.jpg (382 downloads)
Description:



Top
Share
#677112 - 02/12/05 12:44 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
Rip Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 04/28/03
Posts: 6761
Loc: West Coast
That 22 is killer!!
_________________________
Looking for
Giant Comics Editions 12 (Any grade!!)

Top
#677113 - 02/12/05 01:00 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
FUELMAN Offline

Custom title? I don't need no stinkin' custom title.

TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 05/11/04
Posts: 32894
Loc: 1st EMPEROR !!!!!!
Quote:

Gustavson also created this classic Amazing Man cover---does not get much better than this






You just gotta love those headbands!

I wonder if Jon has an old article on Centaurs???

_________________________

EMPIRE COLLECTIBLES
Pulp Magazines, Comic Books & more...


National and international science academies and scientific societies have assessed current scientific opinion on climate change. These assessments are generally consistent with the conclusions of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), summarized below:
1. Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as evidenced by increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, the widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level.
2. Most of the global warming since the mid-20th century is very likely due to human activities.
3. No scientific body of national or international standing maintains a formal opinion dissenting from any of these main points.

Top
#677114 - 02/12/05 01:19 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
Silver Surfer Offline

Man this is just a reminder of how much work I haven't done in the last 8 years!

TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 03/12/04
Posts: 28948
Quote:

'Centaur Comics" sort of have their own little niche. There is some sort of mystical allure to them. Tough to get, this scarcity holds back, in my view, demand. Centaurs actually started in March 1938. For the longest time other books were called Centaurs altho published by Chesler (Star Comics, Star Ranger Comics) or by Cook/Mahon or Ultem (Comic Magazine/Funny Pages, Dectective Picture Stories, Funny Picture Stories, Western Picture Stories).

The pre-Centaurs were as ground breaking - if not more so- than pre-Superman DCs. The hardcore Centaur titles are notable for the work of the Jacquet Funnies Inc artists- Burgos, Everett, Gustavson, Thompson, etc- who would produce all the early Timely work. I will start a thread of these incredible books....I apologize if this has been done before. But I believe "seeing leads to believing" and a source of knowledge of these foundational titles....Enjoy

First up is the Phantom of the Fair by the UNDERRATED GA artist Paul Gustavson



One of my favorite covers from the GA era. I have no idea Everett contributed to these books pre-Marvel.

Top
#677115 - 02/12/05 01:39 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: Silver Surfer]
jbcomicbox Offline
Chatzilla


Registered: 03/21/03
Posts: 2455
Wait....we will get to the everett books....but here is a taste.....jon




Attachments
719696-1scanamf5.jpg (370 downloads)
Description:



Top
#677116 - 02/12/05 02:49 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
Larryw7 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 06/24/02
Posts: 11211
Loc: Philly
Quote:

Wait....we will get to the everett books....but here is a taste.....jon






That cover is amazing!

Top
#677117 - 02/12/05 06:26 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: Larryw7]
adamstrange Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 02/12/05
Posts: 20653
Loc: usa



here's another centaur to revive this thread






_________________________
"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

Top
#677118 - 02/12/05 06:30 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: adamstrange]
markseifert Offline
Chatzilla


Registered: 06/16/04
Posts: 2298
Loc: Rantoul, IL
Quote:


here's another centaur to revive this thread

[image]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/420e92a3_5750/bc/comics/AmazMysFunnies23.jpg?BCVCqDCBrp8QHjNs[/image]





Wow! Gorgeous book!

Top
#677119 - 02/12/05 06:32 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: adamstrange]
aardvark88 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 07/07/02
Posts: 9473
Loc: O Canada
Nice Everett art from Amazing-Man # 5 (1st). Published about 2 months before Marvel Comics #1 (1939 Timely).




Edited by aardvark88 (02/12/05 06:33 PM)
_________________________
WTB: Raw Planet # 15, New Adventure 29, Kewpies 1 vg.
"Sin is sweet in the beginning and bitter at the end." Talmud.

Top
#677120 - 02/12/05 06:33 PM Re: Centaur Comics [Re: adamstrange]
adamstrange Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE


Registered: 02/12/05
Posts: 20653
Loc: usa



this has one of the coolest Wolverton space patrols. canyon landscapes, flying gas-bag aliens, koosh-ball evil invaders, the works!






_________________________
"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

Top
Page 1 of 377 12345>Last »


Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.



Search
The Money Marketplace
1848 French Pattern 20 Francs in Gold
by RWB
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
DOZENS OF COOL VARIETIES AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW!
by coinman1794
Yesterday at 05:46 PM
Selling "100 Greatest US Modern Coins" at Long Beach....
by Cellgazer
Yesterday at 03:14 PM
sold
by AnkurJ
Yesterday at 09:21 AM
Comics Marketplace
Daredevil #6-200 (over half of the run) low.mid, high grade CHEAP :)
by comicnut
45 minutes 45 seconds ago
Doom vs Archie Sale
by Scturo
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Preacher #1 9.4 For Sale
by Pinky Lee Zepplin
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
One Book - Hulk #6 CGC 6.5
by diestler
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.037 seconds were spent on a total of 17 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum IDW Publishing