Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#596664 - 11/08/04 12:39 AM 1776 Continental Currency coin
StumpedinWa Offline
Just got here

Greetings everyone. This is my first post so please try not to flame or laugh at me to hard. I have read other posts about these coins and still have questions about the one that I posess. My father in law who is not in his late 60's got 5 of these coins from his great grandmother. Four of the five were in her jewlery box and one was always kept in her safety deposit box at the bank. That is what it was located upon her death. I believe that the 4 that were in her jewlery box are the replicas that were produced. Although the on in the safety deposit box is different. There is a definate weight difference in it. Most of the surface is still crisp.

What are some dead give away signs that this is real or not. Please keep in mind that I am very new to this so if anyone replys please try and keep it in laymans terms.

Any help would be appreciated. My digital camera is giving me a little attitude in focusing on the coin. I will try and get some clear pictures taken later this week. Then I can email them to anyone who might know more about this then myself.

#596665 - 11/08/04 12:54 AM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: StumpedinWa]
truthteller Offline
Instigator
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The one true undisputed Truth
Greetings,

I am assuming you have the Continental Currency Dollar. This was issued in 1776 with an image of a sundial with sunshine rays on the obverse and chain links of the colonies on the reverse. The coin should be one of three metals, brass, pewter and silver, pewter being the most common. The pewter coin will have a dull grey cast look to it and will have a grainy feel. The best recommendation is to find a reputable local dealer who will send the coin to PCGS or NGC for grading. You can find an NGC dealer under this website. If indeed the coin is authentic, it is worth many thousands of dollars. The copies are usually made of pot metal or nickel and will have a modern flat edge to them. However, you may want those inspected also. Good luck.

TRUTH

Max, 5/7/2010 I will see you again

#596666 - 11/08/04 01:08 AM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: truthteller]
StumpedinWa Offline
Just got here

Quote:

The copies are usually made of pot metal or nickel and will have a modern flat edge to them. However, you may want those inspected also. Good luck.

TRUTH

Thanks for the reply. The edges should not be flat so should they be rough? I don't have the coins in front of me at this moment but I do recall that one one of the coins the edges looked as if it were two seperate peices of metal (top and bottom) that were sandwiched together. This one I am assuming that is a replica, also on this one the two pieces don't match up exactly. They are somewhat offset.

#596667 - 11/08/04 01:27 AM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: StumpedinWa]
truthteller Offline
Instigator
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The one true undisputed Truth
Copies are generally made BETTER than the originals. When you say "offset', then this makes me think noncopy. Although copies will have a flat edge and a flat rim, usually it appears much like modern coinage, sharp and distinct. Continental Dollars were sometimes struck offset, since the machinery at the time was rather crude and the edge will appear to be rough and uneven. In addition, Pewter is a soft metal and must be handled with care. If you make a light tap on the edge of the coin, pewter will not ring true, but nickel and pot metal will make a "ting" sound.

TRUTH

Max, 5/7/2010 I will see you again

#596668 - 11/08/04 02:05 AM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: StumpedinWa]
Bruceswar Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Mesquite, Tx
3 things 2 Key in on that Set me off....

1. Look for the word copy even on the sides on the coins, most if not all replicas have it...
2. Look for a Seem along the edge......
3. It will just not feel like a good solid coin...

If you want some pics of a Decent Copy to compare yours with let me know
and I can post some....

#596669 - 11/08/04 03:44 AM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: Bruceswar]
StumpedinWa Offline
Just got here

If you have pictures that you would be willing to post it would be very helpful. I am going to try and get some better pictures taken tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Thanks again for the help

#596670 - 11/08/04 10:29 AM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: StumpedinWa]
TomB Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Submission for certification, either at NGC or PCGS, is really the only option on a coin like this if you think it is real. Also, if you can post good resolution images, we might be able to spot many counterfeits for these. Unlike what has been previously written, I will state that many, if not most, of the copies of this piece do not have the word COPY stamped on them as this has only been required since 1973 and there were enormous numbers of copies and counterfeits of these made prior to that. Although I wish you luck, I will honestly tell you that I am of the opinion that you possess copies. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

Check out my photography and follow me on Facebook

On ebay as ivyleaguecoin

#596671 - 11/08/04 03:45 PM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: TomB]
Bruceswar Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Here is the pic of the 1776 Continental Curency with 1 R in Curency... This is a cast copy of what looks to be the pewter version. Note the word copy is on the side of the coin.....

Pic....

Attachments
638559-1776CC.jpg (1009 downloads)
Description:

#596672 - 11/08/04 09:54 PM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: TomB]
Bruceswar Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

tomb .. thats a great piece of information.... most of the ones I have seen have copy stamped on them.. but thanks for the information....

#596673 - 11/09/04 10:39 PM Re: 1776 Continental Currency coin [Re: truthteller]
StumpedinWa Offline
Just got here

Quote:

Copies are generally made BETTER than the originals. When you say "offset', then this makes me think noncopy. Although copies will have a flat edge and a flat rim, usually it appears much like modern coinage, sharp and distinct. Continental Dollars were sometimes struck offset, since the machinery at the time was rather crude and the edge will appear to be rough and uneven. In addition, Pewter is a soft metal and must be handled with care. If you make a light tap on the edge of the coin, pewter will not ring true, but nickel and pot metal will make a "ting" sound.

TRUTH

Still working on pictures to show you guys. I have been doing some further reseasch on line and am now a little more confused. I have read on a few internet sites that the origionals have the word Currency spelled several different ways. Like Curency and Currencey. Any truth to this? I am going to take it into a coin shop on Friday and see what they think. My father in law told me today that he had a coin shop look at it about 10 years ago and they told him that it was a real coin. I guess the only way to find out is to find a coin dealer who is an authorized NGC dealer and have it sent in.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  ngcmod, dena, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
WTB NGC MS69 Quarters 2009-2014
by Kapimono
11:57 AM
FSH; BU roll 1964 P Kennedy halves, $200
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:26 PM
FSH; $500 FRN VF with a problem *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:25 PM
1942 Walking Liberty NGC PF 67 CAC
by Mark T
10/20/14 05:32 PM
Comics Marketplace
AMAZING COMICARTCOM COMIC-CON RETURNS! Batman 14nc, Subby 34 nc, Walt Kelly Art
by comicartcom
12:45 AM
Strange Tales #9, JIM #5, Amazing Adv. #1, Uncanny Tales #5 (2 DAYS ONLY) NICE!
by kramerarts
11:20 PM
Tibex82's Copper/Modern Fall Clearance. Keys, 1st's, Variants. C'mon in!
by Tibex82
10:25 PM
X-Men member first appearance OA on eBay
by pkveronese
09:14 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.062 seconds in which 0.041 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.