Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#457571 - 06/02/04 12:38 AM 1962 Topps Facotry Set
alansz Offline
Just got here

I am new to this site so please excuse my ignorance. I am 24 I used to collect cards about 12 years ago. I have many new cards that dont seem to be worth much these days however I inherited a great deal of older cards These in clude the complete set of 1962 topps. The set came in five blue boxes from Topps each box holds its proportion of cards. In additon I have not had them graded, as I said I am new to this, and do not even understand how the process works, however I had put them all in protectors whn I found them about13 years ago and they all look brand new. Allmost all have 4 sharp corners with not whiting , which I hear is rare on this set due to the wood grain. I have read some boards, and it seems this may be a "display set" or a "presentation set" does anyone know how I can find out, who handles these kinds of things. I may be in the market to sell the set or a few cards depending on the valuation, I need to pay for school

#457572 - 06/02/04 07:10 AM Re: 1962 Topps Facotry Set [Re: alansz]
estang Offline
(S)uper Collector

I think you've come to the right place to learn more. Specifically, "Mr. 62 Topps" is a member here and has a SGC 1962 registered set that is top-notch --- you should check it out and compare it to what you have.

I've heard of Topps creating presentation sets for employees or as gifts. I recall that someone said they may be slightly smaller cards than what was put into wax packs.

My advice is that if you're looking to sell the set for whatever reason that the market is pretty ripe right now for this era, as many that grew up fromt that time are likely in their high-salary years in life --- trying to buy back childhood.

If you prefer to sell it all at once for a premium, I think it would be wise to grade out all of the Hall of Famers from the set and some other notables like Roger Maris, scarce high numbers, etc... You should start out with a relatively small submission to SGC (recommend) or PSA first. If the grades come back at NM and better than finish grading out the remainder HOF'ers and stars. This will give legitimacy to your set if you sell it at auction. Another good idea would be for someone to provide you the population report from PSA and SGC on 1962 Topps to see how many examples are out there. You will find people paying in the hundreds of dollars for a common graded Mint.

You would also do well to post a few scans here on this message board for some other experts to gague the condition.

If for some reason you don't mind breaking the set into pieces for selling, I'd be interested in all the Minnesota Twins cards and some others. However, it sounds like you need cash for college and selling it all at once is preferred.

1962 Topps is condition sensitive and sells at higher prices than most 1960s issues. I'm sure 1962 Mr. Topps here would help you learn more.

#457573 - 06/02/04 07:28 AM Re: 1962 Topps Facotry Set [Re: estang]
alansz Offline
Just got here

Thanks I got emails from two dealers one is BMW and I cannot remember the other. I think i may grade some of the cards like you said, i hear these cards may even be glossy opposed to the regular finish of the 1962's

#457574 - 06/02/04 08:55 AM Re: 1962 Topps Facotry Set [Re: alansz]
aconte Offline
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!
alansz,

Estang's advice is very sound. Not much more too add. I'd probably grade out
a few of the stars and see how they turn out especially if you believe they might
grade high. If you get a chance take a look at some cards on ebay to
maybe get a general review of condition and prices. Also, if you get a strong
price from a dealer or collector you may want to go that road to avoid any
work or effort on your part. Do some homework and it can pay dividends in
the end.

Good luck!

aconte

#457575 - 06/03/04 09:40 PM Re: 1962 Topps Facotry Set [Re: aconte]
deadlyembrace Offline
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX
Here's a "mugshot" of the 62 Topps Presentation Set box ...

#457576 - 06/03/04 10:03 PM Re: 1962 Topps Facotry Set [Re: deadlyembrace]
alansz Offline
Just got here

Those are the boxes that I have

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
GOOD COINS FOR SALE REASONABLE PRICES
by wmfielding
Today at 08:23 AM
WTB - Beautifully Toned 1964 MS Lincoln Cent
by mikew148
Today at 12:50 AM
CAC 1795 Half Dime & Dollar! GOLD! 1877 $20 NGC AU58, $50 Buffalos, Baseball Unc
by AnkurJ
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
My 19th century listings at Great Collections - silver and gold.....
by Hard Times
Yesterday at 08:33 PM
Comics Marketplace
Some GA/SA KEYS now SLABBED!
by Chuck Gower
7 minutes 29 seconds ago
Single Slab: Ultimate X-Men 75 CGC 9.8 SS Michael Turner Sig
by MattP
8 minutes 54 seconds ago
It's Friday! Lets sell some comics!
by maidenmate91
36 minutes 8 seconds ago
Selling some 90s drek on the bay
by The_Endless
Today at 03:49 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.02 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.