Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1283040 - 07/15/06 02:30 PM Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh...
MunkyMan95 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Electric Avenue
Ok, so I was watching Coin Vault last night when Robert Chambers said the funniest thing. He was presenting the Proof Gold Buffalos First Strikes NGC PF69 and PF70. He held up the 69 next to the 70, and the 69 was was 10X as brilliant as the 70. Robert says "It's not about which one is shinier than the other, it's ALL about what's on that label."

Now this hit me as being the polar opposite of what I've learned about slabbed coins! Buy the coin and not the holder! He brought out some BU walkers, and he said the same thing! Buy the label, and not the coin! This is exactly why I don't buy from Coin Vault...

#1283041 - 07/15/06 05:47 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: MunkyMan95]
winstonware Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Boston
That is funny. What is the coin vault? I haven't seen it.

#1283042 - 07/15/06 07:13 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: winstonware]
MunkyMan95 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Coin Vault is the worst show in coins. Ever. Everything there is way overpriced, and a giant ripoff. It comes on on the Shop At Home network some nights after 8, and some days in the wee hours of the morning. Website:

www.shopathometv.com

#1283043 - 07/15/06 09:04 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: MunkyMan95]
rexcat Offline
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Up nort der Wisconsin eh
My wife stumbled on to it one night a few months ago, she calls me into the family room saying “you got to see this, I can’t believe it’s real”. We watch and laughed for awhile, these people are almost unbelievable, but when I see coins being marketed so over priced I think what a disservice a show like this really is to the hobby. How many people who started out with enough interest in the hobby to buy some coins, get ripped with over priced poor for the grade coins, find out as their experience in the coin market grows, then become mad, and give up on what could have been an enjoyable pastime.

You could say it’s a buyer beware world and you should gain knowledge before making purchases but a show like that makes it so easy for an inexperienced novice to get sucker into with their slick con, sounding so knowledgeable about the rare coin market… making you feel foolish if you don’t jump on board now before those limited supplies dwindle and prices sky rocket!!

The more people collect coins and have an interest in numismatics the better it is for every one involved in the hobby, in short, if the number of people interested in coin collecting wanes so does the value of our coin collections.

Northern Lights in Wisconsin…

#1283044 - 07/17/06 01:13 AM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: rexcat]
Bruceswar Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Mesquite, Tx
The coin vault has been around for along time selling coins via TV and getting HIGH prices for there coins that are RARE and a good BUY! We all know to stay away from them and such. I watch sometimes and just laugh, but the sad fact is they sell alot of coins.

#1283045 - 07/19/06 04:39 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: Bruceswar]
EZ_E Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Sin City
I thought that last month it was going off the air. What gives?

#1283046 - 07/19/06 05:02 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: EZ_E]
midwest Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Illinois
Quote:

Someone needs to drive a wooden stake through its heart.

#1283047 - 07/19/06 05:35 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: midwest]
MunkyMan95 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Quote:

Quote:

Someone needs to drive a wooden stake through its heart.

Are you kidding? They had to get profit from the sale of the buffalo gold coins...

#1283048 - 07/19/06 06:09 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: EZ_E]
Bruceswar Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Mesquite, Tx
Quote:

New Station picked up the show...

#1283049 - 07/19/06 06:39 PM Re: Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh... [Re: EZ_E]
Beijim Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Quote:

It appears that the folks behind Coin Vault (SilverTowne, L.P. or another entity related thereto) put together a consortium with Jewelry Television and key former Scripps Networks ShopAtHomeTV employees to acquire the ShopAtHomeTV operational assets and continue operating as a new entity.

So far, the broadcast day is divided between Jewelry Television offerings during the day and collectibles during late night and early morning. Recently they've added some home goods reminiscent of the previous ShopAtHomeTV. With the Coin Vault crew back in control of the collectibles side (which they weren't with previous management), they've restored collectible cutlery (i.e. knives) and sports memorabilia to the lineup.

Frankly, I'm glad to see Chambers continuing the broadcasts. While the merchandise is almost always grossly overpriced, I find Chambers entertaining and occasionally learn something I didn't know, especially when he presents currency (about which I know next to nothing). In addition, the show does serve to introduce people to numismatics who might otherwise never feel the inclination, even if those people pay more than necessary for their initial purchases.

So I don't think it's all bad.

Beijim

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Architecht, dena, ngcmod, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
1943-S 50C Liberty Half Dollar MS67 Star NGC POP 1 NONE BETTER
by Paul Kiraly 3
08/28/14 11:33 AM
2014 Gold Kennedys Early Releases $1480 for 70s
by Slayeron
08/26/14 09:28 AM
Foreign silver for sale EDITED
by stldanceartist
08/26/14 12:55 AM
closed
by krighton
08/25/14 09:19 PM
Comics Marketplace
Frazetta, Schomburg, GGA, Bondage, Hitler cover, Daredevil 1, Random cool stuff!
by cmcfan
08/28/14 08:47 PM
ASMs, Daredevil Variants
by romanheart
08/28/14 08:42 PM
Invincible 110 Lot x3 NM/NM+ Time sensitive BONUSES 8:48-9:48 est
by krighton
08/28/14 08:31 PM
Batman Adventures for sale
by stippy52
08/28/14 08:18 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.